I have a relative who I don't think her nearly 4 year old son is quite right.
She is burying her head in sand about it and hoping it would go away. I know it's not normal behaviour and I think it's more than just naughtiness.
Some little things I've picked up on:
- Very poor communication skills
- poor skills in numbers/ colours/ shapes recognition ( aside from poor communication he'll have trouble even pointing out something blue as an example)
- wild tantrums / melt downs
- figity and hitting and kicking things
- can get overwhelmed say at Christmas lights, or at the shops
- has had hearing tested and that's normal
- doesn't like being dirty, even a spec of ice cream on his top will cause a meltdown
- will listen and understand but chooses not to