+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mama Mirabelle, it sounds like something has suddenly made her scared about "school" so she has regressed so she doesn't have to go.

Maybe try some positive reinforcement. Tell her how much fun school is, how they do drawing, painting, singing etc (anything she is interested in!) and how she will make friends and have lots of fun! Could you take her for a visit so she can see it's nothing to be scared of? Try chatting to her as well, if you gently ask her why she doesn't want to use the toilet, and ask if she's sad/worried about school, she may tell you if you can get the right question for what she's feeling.

I agree with bribery usually, but I think this is more mental than physical. And I'm sure you know this, but your DH's reactions won't be helping.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (02-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to get son age 3 to poo on toilet

An update here- My 3yo (in January) just started last week pooping in the potty, and has done every day since. Completely without promoting, she just announced she was going to poop in the potty and not in her nappy.

Mama mirabelle, try not to put pressure on yourself to get it sorted by the time bubs comes, I felt that too (dd1 was almost trained, dd2 is now 17 weeks). She completely regressed when bubs came, and went back into nappies full time. TBh it was a bit easier having her in nappies as I didn't have to help her on the potty when I had my hands full with bubs. She came around again of her own accord- with a bit of a gentle push and treats from me.

I do reward her with the Disney cards from woolies every day when she poos

Dd1 starts "school" too next week for the first time, I think we are in similar situations. She's excited but also nervous too (and me!). Good luck with it all xx
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 02-03-2016 at 15:38.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (02-03-2016),Wise Enough  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I'm bumping up this thread as I have a similar problem. DD was doing really well doing poos and wees on the toilet up until a couple of weeks ago. She wasn't in undies yet, just training pants, but she was going really well. Then we started to talk about how when she could go to the toilet by herself she could start 'school' (daycare) which she was really excited about and she told everyone who would listen 'I can go to school soon because I can go to the toilet.

Anyway I don't know what's changed but it's like one day she just decided she didn't want to go to school so now she won't go to the toilet. I've had to put her back in nappy pants because she's doing poos and wees in them and flat out refuses to go to the toilet. When I ask why she won't go to the toilet she says she doesn't want to go to the toilet because she doesn't want to go to 'school'. I told her that's fine and she doesn't have to go to to school, but she does have to remember to go to the toilet. I've tried bribing with smarties and stickers, she just will not budge. Even when I can see she's about to do a poo and say quick lets go to the toilet she will cry and refuse so I just leave it because I don't want to create a negative connection. DH is really getting the sh*ts though and he yells when he's home and refuses to change her nappy.

Does anyone have any advice? She turned 3 in January and I'm due with our second in a month. I was really hoping she'd be toilet trained by the time the baby comes along but now that looks impossible. It's so frustrating.
    Hi, I would just put her in undies and she what she does. Maybe just tell her there are no nappies left and she has to wear undies and if she uses the toilet like a big girl she can get a surprise. It may be messy for a couple of days but she will eventually get the picture and start using the toilet again.
    And when she does use the toilet make a HUGE deal about it!!

My son did this with wee's - and he wet himself in front of friends and was so embarrassed (I felt terrible) BUT then he started weeing in the toilet again and we haven't looked back...

Although he still refuses to poo in the toilet - he knows that when he does he is getting a golf set (like daddy) and talks about it all the time but still does a poo in his nappy when he is going to bed of a night (grrrrr).

Goodluck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following. Glad to hear its not just us. My ds 2.5yr wont poo in the toilet either he is great with going to the toilet with wee but he is quite happy to poo his pants. I wont put a nappy on him and he never asks for one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Still can't at age 5 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I may not be helpful here, but, I would say from our experience, just ride it out, not wanting to do poo's on the toilet is not that uncommon in the beginning at all.
    At about 3.5, after using the toilet and potty to wee for ages I started trying everything to get him to do poo, it lead to him just not doing number 2's, whilst we were not forcing him, we did the standard bribes and methods, he just did not need to go! I would let him do it in his nappy, but after a awhile he didn't want the nappy any longer, but didn't want the toilet either.
    He basically learnt to hold it in for over 10days at a time, finally at 5, he is becoming a little more regular, but it has been terrible!
    So I would say if nothing is working just give it more time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post

I agree with bribery usually, but I think this is more mental than physical. And I'm sure you know this, but your DH's reactions won't be helping.

Oops! I didn't even see Mama Mirabelle's post! Sorry about that - yes of course my advice wouldn't apply at all to that situation. I was responding to the original post.