+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes I'm definitely in for a bit of religious slant to the boys education - which I accept. I'm not sure how to explain it - I want them to learn about religion more from a history and understanding and getting along in society aspect. I just shudder slightly at the thought of them, as young adults, actually believing it all.
    Obviously your boys, your decision I have friends with kids in little catholic schools and while they have calmed down a fair bit they are still religious, go to Mass etc. Religion isn't like evolution or science, it's faith. Do you really want your boys to go through the motions of spurting out religious beliefs, biblical references for 13 years of their schooling if you would be disappointed if they actually believed? I've had like 5 hours of broken sleep and I always word things badly when I'm tired, I hope I'm not coming across badly?

I also want to say that public schools are freaking amazing and statistically your boys will not get any better education, nor perform better in a private school. Of course there are crap public schools are there, as there are private. I know a few people whose public catchment school is completely feral so they essentially have to send their child private.

But from one atheist to another - how would you feel if I forced you to commit to a belief system for 13 years then told you I'd be disappointed in you if you actually believed it? That would be my own private hell.

Again, I hope I haven't been rude. I'm drinking a double espresso shot with squinted eyes as I type

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Summer  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But from one atheist to another - how would you feel if I forced you to commit to a belief system for 13 years then told you I'd be disappointed in you if you actually believed it? That would be my own private hell.
    I wouldn't tell my kids I was disappointed !

If, when a little older, my kid wanted out off the school I would respect that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I wouldn't tell my kids I was disappointed !

If, when a little older, my kid wanted out off the school I would respect that.
    But you said you would be. They are going to go through the sacraments, doing Reconcillation and Confirmation which is pretty serious business for them. It's about having your sins absolved and having the Holy Spirit enter you as an adult member of the Church. This isn't just a subject like home ec. Religion and belief in God, Jesus and Mary permeates every day.

My point here isn't to criticise. I guess I'm unsure how much you know about religious schools and how they operate and just trying to give you another view. Just tell me to sod off if you want, I won't be offended

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    But you said you would be. They are going to go through the sacraments, doing Reconcillation and Confirmation which is pretty serious business for them. It's about having your sins absolved and having the Holy Spirit enter you as an adult member of the Church. This isn't just a subject like home ec. Religion and belief in God, Jesus and Mary permeates every day.

My point here isn't to criticise. I guess I'm unsure how much you know about religious schools and how they operate and just trying to give you another view. Just tell me to sod off if you want, I won't be offended
    DS1 was wholly catholic school educated. He was not christened and did not participate in any of the sacraments, confirmation etc.... I was asked if I wanted him to and I said no. That was the end of it. He did have RE classes and attended mass 2-3 times a year at the attached church during school hours (Easter, Xmas etc..). As an adult he has confirmed to
    Me that he is glad he knows about Catholicism and the other religions they discussed during RE. It has allowed him to choose his own path - atheism.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    DS1 was wholly catholic school educated. He was not christened and did not participate in any of the sacraments, confirmation etc.... I was asked if I wanted him to and I said no. That was the end of it. He did have RE classes and attended mass 2-3 times a year at the attached church during school hours (Easter, Xmas etc..). As an adult he has confirmed to
    Me that he is glad he knows about Catholicism and the other religions they discussed during RE. It has allowed him to choose his own path - atheism.
    I guess it may be different for different schools. Our local primary and secondary attend Mass once a week, and while I don't know anyone that has opted out of the sacraments, it would be hugely frowned upon. I also know they tend to much prefer religious families and ask that when you apply. I do know some non-practicing families in there, but I would consider them agnostic as opposed to atheist.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Be honest....

I guess it may be different for different schools. Our local primary and secondary attend Mass once a week, and while I don't know anyone that has opted out of the sacraments, it would be hugely frowned upon. I also know they tend to much prefer religious families and ask that when you apply. I do know some non-practicing families in there, but I would consider them agnostic as opposed to atheist.
    DS school is Anglican but we have catholic, muslim , Buddhist and jewish kids there , you don't need to be Christian or baptised and there are no sacraments etc and it's no where near as "religious" as catholic schools seem to be

I think sometimes there is s misconception that these schools are brainwashing the kids and it's simply not true, no body is told their sins are being absolved or they will go to hell! in primary school it's all stories and songs and in high school , most of us like me with non religious families treated it like any other subject and ignored it!

There have been heaps of threads on here complaining about public schools forcing religion onto the kids which I think is worse !

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-02-2016),binnielici  (06-02-2016),LoveLivesHere  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    You can opt out of scripture no questions asked though, which we have. In catholic schools you have to do RE, and in high school and for the HSC they are proper measurable subjects that go towards your TER (or whatever the hell it is now lol). I went Catholic primary and high, and in secondary, doing RE including for Years 11 and 12 are non negotiable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly, I would rather my children weren't religious because I would find it hard to maintain a level of supportiveness I should as a mother because it is totally not my cup of tea. But I guess that's up to them, I'd be very surprised if any of my children did become religious though, we don't know anyone that goes to church, they don't go to a religious based school, I don't think we've ever actually spoken about it. When someone dies we call it going to the sky, not heaven because I don't do heaven. I'd like to think I could be supportive but I'm severely hoping inside I don't have to deal with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    At the 3 Christian schools (16 years) my kids have attended they never attended a mass.
    Independent Christian schools are normally multi denominational so don't do masses. They do learn scriptures and learn about God.
    I went to a Catholic school and mass was after school times and optional.
    Our local girls only Catholic school adapted their uniform so the Muslim girls could wear it to fit their religious dressing requirements.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-02-2016),binnielici  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

It's all good. I know a bit about religious schools and think many of the things you described are things that can benefit my kids regardless of whether they grow up to believe in god or not. It's like recognising that religion can offer some great tools for life. Hope that makes sense.