+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Private. I have nothing against public schools - I would have liked to have sent my boys to a public school - however for me it comes down to the local public school v the local private school.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    If I'm honest...

I hope that DS grows up to have some sort of faith because I have an almost crippling fear of death and I don't want him to have that.

However, I would feel that there was a part of him that I couldn't ever connect with and that would make me sad. There are some beliefs that I would find it impossible to engage with, such as a belief in hell, or a belief in homosexuality as an abhorrent sin.

I don't believe that being religious precludes critical thinking necessarily, and I am committed to bringing him up in a way that causes him to question everything, even when it challenges me.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-02-2016),CakeyMumma  (05-02-2016),Sonja  (05-02-2016),~Marigold~  (05-02-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    If I'm honest...

I hope that DS grows up to have some sort of faith because I have an almost crippling fear of death and I don't want him to have that.

However, I would feel that there was a part of him that I couldn't ever connect with and that would make me sad. There are some beliefs that I would find it impossible to engage with, such as a belief in hell, or a belief in homosexuality as an abhorrent sin.

I don't believe that being religious precludes critical thinking necessarily, and I am committed to bringing him up in a way that causes him to question everything, even when it challenges me.
    ^^THIS 100%

I have been wanting to post in this thread but couldn't word my reply right...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    If I'm honest...

I used to fear death as a kid and I remember asking my Catholic mum what happens when you die, does everything just go black and that's all?? I don't remember what she said but we were enrolled into Catholic school very soon after.

As I have said I still have my faith in God and in heaven, but in addition I don't agree with so much the Catholic Church teaches (no contraception, sex just for pro-creation, not using stem cells for research into cures for diseases, their handling of child sex abuse which stems from their rule of priests not being allowed to be married) so I leave those parts behind and keep the parts of my faith I find relevant.

I would hate for my kids to fear death or be besides themselves because a close family member died and everything for them just 'went black' and that's it. But again that's me.

If they're old enough to question what I've taught them about God, they're probably old enough to not fear death of themselves or friends and family so much. Which makes me feel better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Be honest....

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Private. I have nothing against public schools - I would have liked to have sent my boys to a public school - however for me it comes down to the local public school v the local private school.
    I think nearly 95% of private schools have a religious affiliation - just check your one as my BIL hates how much religion is pushed onto his girls at their school but has to put up with it as they love the school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think nearly 95% of private schools have a religious affiliation - just check your one as my BIL hates how much religion is pushed onto his girls at their school but has to put up with it as they love the school
    Yes I'm definitely in for a bit of religious slant to the boys education - which I accept. I'm not sure how to explain it - I want them to learn about religion more from a history and understanding and getting along in society aspect. I just shudder slightly at the thought of them, as young adults, actually believing it all.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Be honest....

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes I'm definitely in for a bit of religious slant to the boys education - which I accept. I'm not sure how to explain it - I want them to learn about religion more from a history and understanding and getting along in society aspect. I just shudder slightly at the thought of them, as young adults, actually believing it all.
    My advice is to just treat it like any other subject, we all went to Anglican schools ( mum was jewish, dad athiest but they loved the school) they just never dwelled on it and in primary school I just thought it was a normal part of school but in high school I started questioning it and found my own path eventually, ( if anything learning about it helped me decide Christianity wasn't for me) that's what we are doing with DS, he has "Christian studies" once a week and so far it just fun bible stories

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also attended a Private Anglican Girls' School; when I started Grade 4 in 1984, every private school in suburban Melbourne was affiliated with a church. Not sure if that's still the case.

I was christened in a Catholic Church to placate my Dad's mother, who was still upset that Dad had married a non-Catholic. Neither of my parents believe in God. They were pretty honest about this.

I don't believe in God...but I really, really wish I did. Like harvs, death scares me silly. The finality of it. The end of consciousness. People say "sure, but you won't know anything about it", which just terrifies me more. I regularly have panic attacks about death when I am lying in the dark, trying to fall asleep. (I then usually turn to BubHub, not God!).

For this reason, I really wish I could believe in God. But I just can't. For me, logic and reason gets in the way.

I think for me, my absence of faith and belief in an afterlife, fuels my value of the "sanctity of life". As a doctor, it drives me. Preservation of life. Respect for life.

Back to the original question...if my children were to believe in God, I'd be surprised, but probably a little bit envious. Sounds a bit silly, hey? My little boy started Prep this week at our local Primary School. I've said he can attend any RE they have, primarily because I think it's part of a broader education, and important to know what "religion" even means! Given my hubby is very atheist also, I doubt my son has any idea who "God" even is. I don't want him to be uninformed.

Wow...pretty deep stuff for BH. Almost as profound as the "Fairy Bread" thread

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-02-2016),TheGooch  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've reached a point in my life where I'm just not sure. I don't 100% believe in God, but I don't 100% not believe either. I'm like @harvs - I would actually like to believe and in some ways I envy those who do.

I find the "I'm too much of a scientist to believe in God" argument a little arrogant if I'm honest. I have many friends who have doctorates and who are some of the smartest people I know who believe in God. Science can't explain everything. Age and I hope a little patience has taught me to be a lot more open than I once was.

My girls attend an Anglican school and my son attends a Presbyterian school. They have 20 minutes RE once a fortnight plus chapel. It's very low on the agenda and covers philosophy and other religions. I actually like what they have learned so far.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2016),Elijahs Mum  (06-02-2016),harvs  (06-02-2016),NancyBlackett  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Be honest....

I haven't read through the whole thread yet, just giving my answer to the OP.

I'm on the fence with my beliefs, I believe in God but I can admit I am unsure and open to other thoughts and learning. Loosing my daughter is what keeps me having some sort of faith as I couldn't really cope with the idea that she is not protected some place or always with me.

I genuinely think I would be fine with my children either being religious or atheists. The only way I would have a problem with it is if they were extreme in their beliefs and it led to them not respecting other's beliefs or treating any type of person cr*p. But if they are just minding their own business, believing or not believing in something then who am I to judge their faith/faithlessness and push my own beliefs on them? It's all very personal and individual and I think it would be wrong of me to take issue with what they believe.

My oldest and dearest childhood friend is very religious. She is genuinely the most kind, nonjudgmental and genuine person in my life. She would never dream of frowning upon somebody for their beliefs or pushing her own on to somebody else. She supports issues like a woman's right to choose and gay marriage. Interestingly she doesn't baptize her children as she believes it is their decision to make. To me she's the epitome of what a 'religious' (or just a good) person should be. If my boys turn out to be believers or not but have her outlook on life I would be very proud of them.

Who cares what they believe as long as they are good people.

Eta: I'm totally feeling BettyV, harvs, a-squared, and Sonja's thoughts. Like a-squared I kind of pick and choose, I believe in dinosaurs, etc but still believe there is probably something 'bigger' out there. I also just really admire some people, like my friend, who have so much more faith than me. They just seem so calm, content and confident with what life throws at them and I wish I had more of that.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 06-02-2016 at 01:47.