+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    Just curious for those who were raised with a religion and now atheist, what was the trigger for the change in belief?
    As I hit my teenage years, I started to become uneasy - a lot of religious beliefs seemed to me to be illogical and didn't seem to have any good reasoning behind them. It seemed like it had all developed partly out of people's innate need to feel like there was some meaning (because the alternative terrified them), and partly out of power tripping by a few people intent on controlling and manipulating everyone else (including imposing a patriarchy and subjugating women).

"Because God said so" didn't cut it for me as an explanation. And the more scientific education I gained, the more sceptical I became that this amazing universe had been designed by, and was being controlled on a minute level by, some single entity. The maths of how one person could control so much just doesn't make sense.

It also bothered me that God seemed so anthropocentric. I couldn't understand why every other species was apparently far less valuable than humans, and why it was okay to wreak havoc on them for human purposes. Nor could I understand why God was seemingly so arbitrary in the way he (because God is always a man!) allowed things to happen, both good and bad.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 05-02-2016 at 08:36.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-02-2016),atomicmama  (05-02-2016),delirium  (05-02-2016),Summer  (05-02-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry if this offends anyone, I have a very weird sense of humour. When I hear religious evangelists preach on with such certainty and fervour I always insert the words "Tooth Fairy" instead of the word "God" and it makes me giggle to myself. In my mind they're both made up, mythical entities, so it kind of makes the "fear and damnation" preaching sound pretty silly

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Summer For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would be a bit at a loss, as it's not something we could really discuss or relate to.

Having said that, I am a mix of the two, so either wouldn't bother me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just curious for those who were raised with a religion and now atheist, what was the trigger for the change in belief?
    I am non religious and dh is Catholic though doesn't really practice it ie doesn't go to church regularly or pray etc
    The kids however go to Catholic School and have been baptized. This is bc dh believes the schools have good education systems. I am not fussed that it's a Catholic school. Whilst I don't share the faith I like the values so have no problem with them going.
    I also don't mind whether either way what they choose to believe as adults.
    I grew up in an Anglican family, my grandmother taught me about the bible and we read bible stories, and explained heaven and hell and 10 Commandments. I went R.E at school and me and the Preachers daughter knew the answers to most of the biblical stuff. And my Mum continued her teachings, but I never felt connected to it, you know I never said prayers, or talk to god. Only that this mystical being was watching me from the sky, to make sure I was a good girl and went to heaven. And I pretty much characterized him in the same place as Santa.
    As I got older I found myself questioning a lot of the stuff I read. In my teens and the early years of the internet, I started to 'research' other religions and philosophies and became fascinated with things like Wicca and druids and Satanism and a bunch other things that I felt drawn to. And entered my 'black clothes' faze. I didn't identify with a religion, but I desperately wanted to.
    After a while, I just stopped believing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents were both raised by devout Catholics but their beliefs dwindled throughout their lives. So we were all sent to catholic schools but taught to question what didn't make sense and make up our own minds. I don't really believe in God I don't think but I have baptized my daughter and she'll be going to a catholic school for the quality of education. I'll teach her what my parents taught me, to think critically and make up her own mind but to also be respectful of the faith of others at school and around her.

I'd probably be uncomfortable if she decided to join a religion that I'm not familiar with (I.e. Not a Christian religion) but only because it's unknown to me. I'd be really worried if she joined a cult-like religion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just curious for those who were raised with a religion and now atheist, what was the trigger for the change in belief?.
    When my parents lost their second child in her teens we all stepped away, none of us could fathom how a god could be so cruel not once but twice.

We don't believe but if our kids want to believe then we will support them and encourage them in their belief systems and certainly wouldn't shun them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe that faith is a personal journey, & I already teach my kids to question their beliefs. So I trust that their journey is their own, & will be happy for them however that journey leads them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Be honest....

I believe in God and heaven as I've been brought up that way but also because my faith gives me hope that death is not the end so I therefore don't fear death.

I also like that if anyone close to my kids dies I can give them comfort in the belief that their loved one is in a better place and they're being looked after by other loved ones who have already passed.

I also don't personally go for the whole 'God can't possibly exist if there is death and war and sickness in the world etc'. To me all of those things are just what happens in life, it's fate and life is what happens, my idea of God isn't that he should stop those things. As humans on earth we need to figure out how to be good people as a race and work together to become kinder more loving race who don't need to kill or go to war. Death outside of that - cancer, car accidents, other accidents can't be helped, we all have to die of something, God or no God, but one day I hope there will no longer be death because other humans purposely do the wrong thing and kill others, only us humans can do that, not God.

But as others have said this is my belief, my journey in life makes this what I believe and I just hope what ever my kids end up believing it gives them the comfort and peace I know I get from believing in the existence of God and heaven.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 05-02-2016 at 21:21.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (06-02-2016),misho  (05-02-2016),sashas girl  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I am not religious and to be honest if my kids grew up to believe in god I would be secretly disappointed. I would feel like I had failed to teach them how to think in a critical scientific fact based manner. I wouldn't tell them I was disappointed and I wouldn't try to change their mind. That being said if they said something I thought was total BS (there were no dinosaurs etc) I would tell them what I thought.

If my child grew up wanting to learn about many different religions I would be delighted.
    Will your boys go public or private in their schooling?