+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'de be disappointed. Same if they ended up being a staunch supporter of an opposing political party. I'de probably be more disappointed in the later actually...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    I'm a catholic, although like a PP mentioned, I'm not a supporter of certain catholic ideals. My children are baptised and attend a catholic school. DS1 has done his sacramental program.

I honestly would not be worried if/when my children decide not to be Catholic or any religion when they're older. It's a personal choice. What I would be disappointed in is if they became fanatical, either with a religion or as an atheist.

DS2 is only 8 but I am certain he is an atheist already lol. It doesn't bother me at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If they come to have a personal sense of faith and spirituality and believe in a God/Gods that can neither be proved nor disproved - I'd be cool with that.
    If they come to join any established religion that rejects observation and reason and science - we'd totally disown them. ...Well probably not, but we'd be rather disappointed and probably feel like we failed as both parents and scientists.

My beliefs would be somewhere between atheism and naturalistic pantheism.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    @A-Squared Westboro Baptist Church
    That's them!!! Strange group of people those!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    They are truly a family that teaches/brainwashes their children young to hate everyone. Truly an extremely bad example of religion. Urgh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm an atheist. DH also doesn't believe. Neither of our parents are religious either. I got very interested in religion when I was about 12. I wanted to be baptised and went to church and Sunday school. Mum let me even though I know she didn't agree with that choice. I changed my mind when I was about 15 I think and stopped going.

I hope I would do the same if my kids become interested in Religion. I think it is a very personal choice. I'm not sure I would go with them, but I would let them explore for themselves - properly, by talking to lots of different people from religions. Not just following because their friend Fred does.

I have them both listed for no religious instruction at school. I don't believe religions belongs in school. If it was a revolving door so to speak, and each religions was represented, I'd have less issue with it. But she it's just ONE priest/minister that teaches about how great THEIR religion is, that's not good enough if you ask me.

And as others have said, I would certainly not be impressed if they joined any extremist religion or a cult like Scientology. I find their views abhorrent and would do everything I could to extract them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
    They are truly a family that teaches/brainwashes their children young to hate everyone. Truly an extremely bad example of religion. Urgh.
    They're the kind of group that I would actually voice my opinion about. Along with those that request part of your income and keep you secluded from general society.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-02-2016),HearMeRoar  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've not read any replies. I'm Catholic and believe in God and heaven. But I do not believe in a lot of what the Catholic Church believes. Eg gay marriage, contraception, not using stem cells for medical research that could save lives. I don't believe in abortion for myself but I don't have a problem with the fact women are free to chose it as an option for an unwanted pregnancy.

But I also believe dinosaurs existed even though there's no mention in the bible (or at least I don't think so - I don't know verses of the bible or anything - though I do have recollection of some New Testament stories about Jesus).

I go married in a Catholic Church (well chapel) as I wanted my marriage recognised by God and the law. I had planned on baptising my kids but haven't yet as I'm not a practicing Catholic and would feel like a hypocrite to do so if I wasn't taking them to church and at the moment we don't plan on sending them to a catholic school - just public as we are in good school zones.

So that's my background as to how religious I am.

I will talk to my kids about God (how he created the earth) and that there's a heaven where you go when you die, and Christmas Day is a celebration of Jesus' birth, but that's probably where it will end. So I don't care what they choose to do with their beliefs.

I may be slightly disappointed if they said later they didn't believe in God but I wouldn't ever try and make them change their mind. Likewise if they decided they felt church was for them or if they decided to practice Buddhism, I wouldn't be bothered.

If only be bothered if they became Muslim extremists or Jehovas witness or like the extreme baptists in the US - can't remember their name but Luis Thereaux did a doco on them, but this is because all of those 'religions' (I use inverted commas as I know Muslim extremists aren't regular Muslim people) very extreme and they teach in things I find abhorrent, whereas I don't find atheist beliefs abhorrent, just different to me and each to their own.

This is me exactly with my catholic faith. And everything you said about how you practice/don't practice!
    DP believes in Buddhism.

We are happy for our child to be exposed to religion and choose a faith they feel resonates with them (beside the extremes as Asq'd said!)

Just like dp is a vegetarian and me a meat eater... Our child will have a choice and we will support it either way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    @A-Squared Westboro Baptist Church
    Ohh yes I watched that documentary recently. I sat there the whole time like this . It was like watching a train wreck, it was late and I needed to go to bed, but I just couldn't look away... lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I was raised Catholic and believe there is something, but don't believe what the bible says about God and Jesus. My partner believes there is nothing after.

If possum wants to believe then that's up to her. I honestly don't mind. If she asked me to take her to church etc I would.