+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DP and I are both atheists.
    To be honest, I'd be a bit disappointed if either of our children grew up to be religious. I guess I'd feel that I hadn't managed to instill in them enough of a belief in and respect for the importance of evidence and reason. I do and always will challenge my children's views, as I believe that vigorously challenging all beliefs and assumptions is essential for improving and refining our worldviews.
    That said, I completely accept that my children's' beliefs and life choices will be up to them; not me. If they come to think differently from me on this matter, then so be it. They'll have my love and support regardless.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    both DH and i are atheists and would like if our children did pick the same path but wouldn't love them any less if they did chose religion so long as they don't try to convert us. we won't lie and say we believe in god to our kids and we have said our children will not do ANY religious education at school as i am a firm believer that religious education should not be taught in public schools.

my sister actually chose (i am using this term loosely) religion in university after meeting her now DH. my parents were not very happy about it and have likened the constant conversion attempts for her DH at every family gathering (pamphlets and saying we will go to hell if we don't take up sides with jesus) to a cult although no one tells her that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was raised in a very religious environment, and DH in a slightly religious one. Both our families are now not religious at all, and we are both atheist.

Honestly, I'd probably be disappointed if my boys embraced any religion. I'd still love them, but I'd wonder how they'd ended up needing religion to give them meaning and comfort in life. I know DH would also love them, but suspect he couldn't resist regularly debating and challenging them to explain their choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    I guess I'd feel that I hadn't managed to instill in them enough of a belief in and respect for the importance of evidence and reason.
    I have a PhD and work as a researcher. Evidence and reason drive my work life and I certainly believe in and respect there importance. I don't think having faith is incompatible with that. We can't know/prove everything, after all there's plenty of scientific theories that we don't yet have the capabilities to test. Without evidence to the contrary they can't automatically be discounted. Anyway, I just wanted to share that. Should your children choose religion you don't necessarily need to feel you'd been unsuccessful.

Just wanted to share. Not trying to convert by any means! 😊

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (06-02-2016),Tiny Dancer  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I've not read any replies. I'm Catholic and believe in God and heaven. But I do not believe in a lot of what the Catholic Church believes. Eg gay marriage, contraception, not using stem cells for medical research that could save lives. I don't believe in abortion for myself but I don't have a problem with the fact women are free to chose it as an option for an unwanted pregnancy.

But I also believe dinosaurs existed even though there's no mention in the bible (or at least I don't think so - I don't know verses of the bible or anything - though I do have recollection of some New Testament stories about Jesus).

I go married in a Catholic Church (well chapel) as I wanted my marriage recognised by God and the law. I had planned on baptising my kids but haven't yet as I'm not a practicing Catholic and would feel like a hypocrite to do so if I wasn't taking them to church and at the moment we don't plan on sending them to a catholic school - just public as we are in good school zones.

So that's my background as to how religious I am.

I will talk to my kids about God (how he created the earth) and that there's a heaven where you go when you die, and Christmas Day is a celebration of Jesus' birth, but that's probably where it will end. So I don't care what they choose to do with their beliefs.

I may be slightly disappointed if they said later they didn't believe in God but I wouldn't ever try and make them change their mind. Likewise if they decided they felt church was for them or if they decided to practice Buddhism, I wouldn't be bothered.

If only be bothered if they became Muslim extremists or Jehovas witness or like the extreme baptists in the US - can't remember their name but Luis Thereaux did a doco on them, but this is because all of those 'religions' (I use inverted commas as I know Muslim extremists aren't regular Muslim people) very extreme and they teach in things I find abhorrent, whereas I don't find atheist beliefs abhorrent, just different to me and each to their own.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with mama Mirabelle. I have been raised as catholic, I still attend regular mass. my children have been baptised and attended catholic schools, primary and high school. one of my sons now teaches at a catholic high school, and one of my daughters will also be hoping to teach at a catholic primary. my grand children attend catholic schools. I am very happy with all of that. I know my children and grand children do not attend any regular mass, but at least they are getting in my opinion, a good basic knowledge of good and bad, and a wonderful sense of community, and inclusive attitudes. I don't like to push my beliefs on any one, and I can honestly say I will try to accept different beliefs. live and let live, and do no harm, that sums up me. marie.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-02-2016),HearMeRoar  (04-02-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (04-02-2016),Mod-biscotti  (04-02-2016),sashas girl  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @A-Squared Westboro Baptist Church

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wouldn't bother me.

We aren't religious but if my son ended up following a religion that had a positive influence on his life and didn't cause him to judge others, it wouldn't bother me at all.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH is atheist and I have my own beliefs (not tied to any one religion) and we agreed to let our kids choose their own path when it comes to this. The kids ask questions and we try to give answers from both a religious and atheist point of view and never had them christened or baptised (which upset my catholic in laws no end) because we see religion as a personal choice and not one we feel comfortable making for them. So no I don't think it would worry either of us no matter what their beliefs turned out to be

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH is an athiest. I dont know whether I'd call myself one, but I'm not religious.

I'd accept it and i dont think I'd comment on it. If they had differing views on certain issues due to religious beliefs ie abortion, same sex marriage etc, I imagine we would have some interesting discussioms about that.

I imagine DH would have more of an issue with them being religious and would challenge them on jt

To be honest, id have more of a problem if they followed the NSW state of origin team