+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    @Moxy I've been thinking about that too. In general I agree with your points. But to use my school as an example, we don't have enough students to qualify for a state-funded school counsellor. But we can access a CPSW (Christian Pastoral Support Worker) funded by the Uniting Church for two days a week.

I agree re being pro-professional. It's not the same thing at all, but in our case it's definitely better than nothing at all.
    Yep, this is us too.
    Would I love a professional at our school? Heck yes! Are we ever going to get one? Nope!
    I'm grateful for the support our school chaplain has offered my children.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Be honest....

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I actually think @sunnyflower the decline of chaplains in public schools to be a real shame. Our school experienced a tragedy 2 years ago and we wound up using a chaplain from another school. I was against them until I properly understood how useful they can be.
    Couldn't a non religious specially university trained counsellor have fulfilled that role? I'm really not sure why there needs to be chaplains in public schools to do that role?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yeah this. Social workers and physiologists can do all that and more, and are qualified. The school counsellors in public schools have SW and psych quals and are screaming for more hours bc demand is so huge. Re-direct the money into those.

I know again, I'll be seen as anti religious, but really it's more pro-professional. The chaplains we have had, had a cert 3 in counselling. Sw's and psych's have 4+years. And being privy to a lot of behind the scenes Chaplaincy stuff, you would be shocked how much money is being put into it.

Have a chaplain for religious schools, have social workers for public.
    I know I'm seen as anti religion and I'm OK with that. I am anti religion. That doesn't mean I'm anti people who are religious. My grandmother is a devout Catholic but I still love her to bits, she's fabulous. I'm also anti paleo, anti controlled crying and anti white cars, but I know and love plenty of people who are, do and drive said examples.

I really, really don't like white cars 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    For anyone who is interested, SA is the only state to have scripture classes in their public schools, plus this is an interesting article.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...ssroom/6073526
    We have it at our public school in WA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    @Moxy I've been thinking about that too. In general I agree with your points. But to use my school as an example, we don't have enough students to qualify for a state-funded school counsellor. But we can access a CPSW (Christian Pastoral Support Worker) funded by the Uniting Church for two days a week.

I agree re being pro-professional. It's not the same thing at all, but in our case it's definitely better than nothing at all.
    I wasn't aware of the need to fulfill a criteria to qualify for a counselor. That's ridiculous and another example of where religion trumps secularism when it comes to the law. We're not a Christian country, we don't have a national religion so it annoys me that public schools are forced to choose between nothing and religious representation when it comes to the welfare of students. I agree, something is better than nothing, but it shouldn't be like that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Just to clarify when I say chaplain I agree it should be a social worker or counsellor. My understanding is the government doesn't have the money for that for all schools. So the only funding comes through the churches.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    I wasn't aware of the need to fulfill a criteria to qualify for a counselor. That's ridiculous and another example of where religion trumps secularism when it comes to the law. We're not a Christian country, we don't have a national religion so it annoys me that public schools are forced to choose between nothing and religious representation when it comes to the welfare of students. I agree, something is better than nothing, but it shouldn't be like that.
    Maybe I'm not following but why is it religion trumping secularism of the govt won't provide the service so the religion steps in?

You could argue the same about many services for the poor. The government doesn't help so Anglicare or the Salvation Army does.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

sunnyflower  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Maybe I'm not following but why is it religion trumping secularism of the govt won't provide the service so the religion steps in?

You could argue the same about many services for the poor. The government doesn't help so Anglicare or the Salvation Army does.
    Actually, I misread harvs' post. I'll try not to fall as I get off my horse, but I'm a long way up....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    We have it at our public school in WA.
    Oops, typo, I meant only state NOT to have. :s

15. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Be honest....

Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Why chaplains though? Why not a youth worker or social worker or psychologist? I'm pretty firm in my view that religion, aside from being taught holistically, should be kept out of public schools. Chaplains represent Christianity, I'm not aware of any public schools who employ a Rabbi to act as counsel to students who need support. I'm not suggesting chaplains necessarily discuss god or bring up religion, but at the end of the day, they are representatives of Christianity.
    I'm not sure what the pay rates are for these professions but I can attest that chaplains get paid buggar all. Might be a factor...and the churches pay/help pay.

Can I also add that I support chaplains in schools because they offer a great service where often there is a big non-government funded hole. Only about my particular area, but there's a big high school near our church with many, many needy kids and families. The chaplain has his hands very full. So many believe the church is pumping a one-eyed agenda but the reality is the group of chaplain supporters I meet with have one goal to keep the funding up to that school - support those kids and families.
    Last edited by teenie; 06-02-2016 at 15:04.