+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I also know people who are not religious at all and found the chaplain to be extremely helpful with their child when an extended member of the family passed. They were totally against the chaplain being removed from our public primary school.
    This. Chaplains are such a valuable resource in public schools. I'm actually involved through my church in supporting chaplains and contrary to what many believe, they're not there to push the 'God thing'. They're there to support, mentor, foster community, build relationships and help teachers who are overwhelmed dealing with crises within their class and class families.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think the issue with chaplains is there were a few examples in some Victorian schools where they went too far. So a few bad apples etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think the issue with chaplains is there were a few examples in some Victorian schools where they went too far. So a few bad apples etc.
    There are probably bad apples in every single profession though . It's a bit like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    There are probably bad apples in every single profession though . It's a bit like throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    I agree. It was a real shame it wasn't dealt with properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Be honest....

For anyone who is interested, SA is the only state to not have scripture classes in their public schools, plus this is an interesting article.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...ssroom/6073526
    Last edited by A-Squared; 06-02-2016 at 14:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teenie View Post
    This. Chaplains are such a valuable resource in public schools. I'm actually involved through my church in supporting chaplains and contrary to what many believe, they're not there to push the 'God thing'. They're there to support, mentor, foster community, build relationships and help teachers who are overwhelmed dealing with crises within their class and class families.
    We don't have a chaplain at our school, we have an Aboriginal Elder but she is there for the same purpose. (At both our school and the prison in our town). We aren't Aboriginal but I like knowing she is there if my children need her.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (06-02-2016),MissMuppet  (06-02-2016),SJ565  (06-02-2016),teenie  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why chaplains though? Why not a youth worker or social worker or psychologist? I'm pretty firm in my view that religion, aside from being taught holistically, should be kept out of public schools. Chaplains represent Christianity, I'm not aware of any public schools who employ a Rabbi to act as counsel to students who need support. I'm not suggesting chaplains necessarily discuss god or bring up religion, but at the end of the day, they are representatives of Christianity.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

A&S  (06-02-2016),atomicmama  (07-02-2016),delirium  (06-02-2016),Gentoo  (06-02-2016),Lincolns mummy  (06-02-2016),Renn  (06-02-2016),TheGooch  (06-02-2016)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Why chaplains though? Why not a youth worker or social worker or psychologist? I'm pretty firm in my view that religion, aside from being taught holistically, should be kept out of public schools. Chaplains represent Christianity, I'm not aware of any public schools who employ a Rabbi to act as counsel to students who need support. I'm not suggesting chaplains necessarily discuss god or bring up religion, but at the end of the day, they are representatives of Christianity.
    This.
    I don't believe chaplains have a place in public schools. I don't believe they're a valuable resource and I would prefer to send DS to a school without a chaplain but with welfare staff, psychologists or social workers.
    If they're not there to provide spiritual guidance, why do they have to be chaplains? But if they are there to provide spiritual guidance, I don't believe They belong in public schools.

My experience with school chaplains in public schools was horrific and I wouldn't want any vulnerable young person exposed to that, especially when chaplains seemed interchangeable with school welfare staff.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Yeah this. Social workers and physiologists can do all that and more, and are qualified. The school counsellors in public schools have SW and psych quals and are screaming for more hours bc demand is so huge. Re-direct the money into those.

I know again, I'll be seen as anti religious, but really it's more pro-professional. The chaplains we have had, had a cert 3 in counselling. Sw's and psych's have 4+years. And being privy to a lot of behind the scenes Chaplaincy stuff, you would be shocked how much money is being put into it.

Have a chaplain for religious schools, have social workers for public.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (07-02-2016),BH-KatiesMum  (06-02-2016),Gentoo  (06-02-2016),Moxy  (06-02-2016),TheGooch  (06-02-2016),VicPark  (06-02-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @Moxy I've been thinking about that too. In general I agree with your points. But to use my school as an example, we don't have enough students to qualify for a state-funded school counsellor. But we can access a CPSW (Christian Pastoral Support Worker) funded by the Uniting Church for two days a week.

I agree re being pro-professional. It's not the same thing at all, but in our case it's definitely better than nothing at all.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (06-02-2016),BH-KatiesMum  (06-02-2016),misskittyfantastico  (06-02-2016),Moxy  (06-02-2016)