+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 183
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Sorry, I disagree. I and Im sure most hubbers are quite happy for people to disagree with my religion. I have been called stupid on BH because I am a christian, & told it means I am less intelligent. That I rely on a crutch. That I am indoctrinating my children. That my choices aren't valid. That my kids will suffer because of our family religion. That my sacred book is fairytales, and I am stupid for following it. That I shouldnt be allowed to send my child to a religious school. am happy to talk about religion, but I do prefer mutual respect.
    I have seen some of those comments and I don't agree with any of them. I don't think you are stupid. Your choices are valid and while in some ways I do see it as indoctrinating is it really any different to the vegan family or the one that are Collingwood born and bred? We all indocrinate.

    I find a vast majority of the religious discussions on here are quite respectful, in fact most of us tip toe trying not to offend but people still get hostile. I try very hard to be respectful of your or any religious faith, but there is a lot of upset citing things that haven't even been said, judgments not even made.

    My Achilles heel is anti formula threads. They make me wild. So I try hard to avoid them and 95% of the time I do.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Deleted because its not worth the effort
    I'm not sure what I've said for you to feel that way?

    Fair enough I'll leave it there

  3. #123
    AdornedWithCats's Avatar
    AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7,816
    Thanks
    6,779
    Thanked
    3,407
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    There seems to be a lot of focus on Catholic private schools in this thread.

    I went to a religious private school and the RE class were focused more on values, social issues and life skills - not anything overally religious, the classes were very accessible to other religions and atheists, of which the school had many! In year 8 we spent the whole year learning about other religions in depth, year 11 RE was more of a way to destress (think talking about issues relevant to us, watching movies, beanbags...) and year 12 we had one excursion RE day and that was it for the year.

    We were going to send ds to a public primary but now plan to send him to a secular private school for philosophical reasons.

  4. #124
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,997
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,895
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I don't think this thread is hostile about religion in the slightest? Sure I've seen it in other threads, but I've been really enjoying this one.

    Regarding the public/private schools thing - just my two cents: it's actually no one's comments here, I just think when you work your ar$e off teaching at a public school it can be very hard not to feel defensive sometimes.

    We feel so passionate about the importance of access to education for all, we try and manage on far less funding than the private schools, we are trying to manage students with a range of severe emotional and physical needs as the government keeps cutting access to services (seriously - where I live it takes at least a year for students at my year levels to be assessed publicly) and there is no money for school support officers. And it turns into this vicious cycle because we can't 'afford' the facilities and lose the students, therefore lose the money that the students brings to our budget after the government changed the funding model.

    But the reality is, if the teacher is good enough, they could go and sit under a tree with a blackboard and a stick of chalk and be equally effective and inspiring. And there are plenty of those teachers in public schools. It's just hard to witness sometimes when we put in what we do, and is so disheartening to read some comments.

    Of course everyone here has the right to send their children where they choose, just offering a massively OT perspective there :-) sorry @Moxy!

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

    binnielici  (06-02-2016),Elijahs Mum  (06-02-2016),Moxy  (06-02-2016),Summer  (06-02-2016)

  6. #125
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mackay
    Posts
    6,275
    Thanks
    809
    Thanked
    2,399
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    Just curious for those who were raised with a religion and now atheist, what was the trigger for the change in belief?
    I am non religious and dh is Catholic though doesn't really practice it ie doesn't go to church regularly or pray etc
    The kids however go to Catholic School and have been baptized. This is bc dh believes the schools have good education systems. I am not fussed that it's a Catholic school. Whilst I don't share the faith I like the values so have no problem with them going.
    I also don't mind whether either way what they choose to believe as adults.
    For me I think it changed as I got older. Losing my nan was a major turning point in my beliefs. I lost my faith.

  7. #126
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,160
    Thanks
    1,701
    Thanked
    3,395
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @cheeeeesecake
    I've been reading along and I wanted to pop in and say that I often feel the way you do about BH and being Christian. One reason I didn't enter this thread in the first place. I've been called names and stuff too because of my faith.
    I think you've been really respectful and articulate. I agree with everything you have said. You are not alone on BH in your thoughts.

  8. #127
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I don't think this thread is hostile about religion in the slightest? Sure I've seen it in other threads, but I've been really enjoying this one.

    Regarding the public/private schools thing - just my two cents: it's actually no one's comments here, I just think when you work your ar$e off teaching at a public school it can be very hard not to feel defensive sometimes.

    We feel so passionate about the importance of access to education for all, we try and manage on far less funding than the private schools, we are trying to manage students with a range of severe emotional and physical needs as the government keeps cutting access to services (seriously - where I live it takes at least a year for students at my year levels to be assessed publicly) and there is no money for school support officers. And it turns into this vicious cycle because we can't 'afford' the facilities and lose the students, therefore lose the money that the students brings to our budget after the government changed the funding model.

    But the reality is, if the teacher is good enough, they could go and sit under a tree with a blackboard and a stick of chalk and be equally effective and inspiring. And there are plenty of those teachers in public schools. It's just hard to witness sometimes when we put in what we do, and is so disheartening to read some comments.

    Of course everyone here has the right to send their children where they choose, just offering a massively OT perspective there :-) sorry @Moxy!
    This is an amazing post, thanks Harvs especially about a good teacher not needing anything but themselves. I also agree with the defensiveness of being a public school teacher which is why I mentioned that about BRV.

    Everything you said is what teaching is about, I would love you to teach my kids

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    Summer  (06-02-2016)

  10. #128
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,864
    Thanks
    5,071
    Thanked
    4,449
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I have seen some of those comments and I don't agree with any of them. I don't think you are stupid. Your choices are valid and while in some ways I do see it as indoctrinating is it really any different to the vegan family or the one that are Collingwood born and bred? We all indocrinate.

    I find a vast majority of the religious discussions on here are quite respectful, in fact most of us tip toe trying not to offend but people still get hostile. I try very hard to be respectful of your or any religious faith, but there is a lot of upset citing things that haven't even been said, judgments not even made.

    My Achilles heel is anti formula threads. They make me wild. So I try hard to avoid them and 95% of the time I do.
    I have found this thread to be in the respectful side however there have been threads in the past and I know which ones she's referring to people have made those comments.

  11. #129
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,864
    Thanks
    5,071
    Thanked
    4,449
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    For me I think it changed as I got older. Losing my nan was a major turning point in my beliefs. I lost my faith.
    Genuine question, many people feel this same way. To those who feel like this, do you think if God existed that no one should ever die? But isn't that life? We all have to die one day don't we?

  12. #130
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Thanks for the responses

    The thing is Vic, I want my kids to learn about religion, but all of them. As far as I know, Catholic/religious schools only do other religions in the HSC. So it's a very one sided view until then. Which is perfectly find if you are religious. But if you want your kids to get a balanced view? You'd be better to just spend the time with your child discussing it.

    Of course, JMHO
    My kids will hopefully learn about all religio through travel, friends, extra curricular activity etc. And RE class in the private school they will go to does cover other religions (probably moreso than the scripture classes on offer in public school?)

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (06-02-2016)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Honest as I can be.
    By White Mage in forum General depression and blues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 14-10-2015, 16:52
  2. Let's keep the new PM honest #2
    By Father in forum General Election Discussion
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 13-06-2015, 22:25
  3. Honest opinions...
    By Mod-Degrassi in forum General Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 17-02-2015, 21:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Baby U & The Wiggles - Toilet Training Products
Toilet training can be a testing time but Baby U is there to assist you and your toddler with the daunting task of toilet training. With a range of products that can be used at home, on holidays or out & about.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!