+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A lot of people here have gone to religious schools and are now atheists. That says to me that the school can only "brainwash" a person so much.
    Our kids grow up, they do learn to think for themselves.
    My kids go to a catholic school, and the reason I like it is because it is a small school and I was really worried about my dd when she first started because she was so shy around kids.
    Honestly I don't pay attention to what she learns in religious studies but so far from what I see there's lots of focus on loving, respecting, appreciating friends and family.
    I am not suggesting public schools don't do the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not once did I mention swimming pools, not once did I mention I'm sending DS private so he gets a good HSC result , I was asked why and I said why then I have to justify why as my answers weren't good enough, I'm now being told I should go inspect all public schools as I'm obviously ignorant and couldn't possibly have done any research because you know all public schools are amazing

I've never mentioned school names and never will

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2016),binnielici  (06-02-2016),gingermillie  (06-02-2016),LoveLivesHere  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    The level of hostility towards religion and religious people is astounding. In hubbub land we are always made out to be dumb and in able to do anything outside their preconceived ideas of what we should think or do. When say say we feel different we are made out to be liars.

BTW our private school doesn't have a nice big swimming pool and fridges in every classroom like the local state schools do. We don't have a single fancy building. We do have a great special needs program.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (06-02-2016),cheeeeesecake  (06-02-2016),Elijahs Mum  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't think anyone is saying all public schools are amazing, in fact it's been said several times there are feral ones just as there is private.

I can't speak for BRV, but I just wondered why atheists sent their kids to catholic schools. You don't need to justify yourself, where you send E is entirely your business. But I would expect a public school teacher to point out that lots of public schools are amazing and many are

Anyway I didn't mean to cause angst, was just interested in people's reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    VicPark do you really think that a religious school is going to teach your kids 'about' that religion? Religion is religious schools is generally forced upon kids, it seeps in to every area of life, they get taught that that is the ONLY way to live, it's not like they stand there and say "xyz religion believes abc, isn't that interesting, let's look at some other religions as well, so that you can make an educated choice when you're older".

My personal experience was in Catholic schools, which yes I know are more full-on, but still....
    In primary school we had prayed every day. Taught religion at least once a week. Mass every week. Everyone did their sacraments. It wasn't a subject, it was a way of life.
    In high school, we prayed during rollcall every morning. Religious studies at least once a week. Mass was less often as we didn't have our own church. Anyone who questioned was shutdown. Everyone knew the 4 girls who were non-Catholic. Everyone stared at them during prayers when we knew they wouldn't know the words (yeah yeah I know, we were teen girls!). I distinctly remember in year 9 or so when we were due to learn about other religions. I was so excited, I had never heard about any other religions, I was eager for information. As it turns out, it was one class, where we had spokespersons from 2 other Christian religions come to talk for about 10 minutes about their beliefs and services. After they left, we got a worksheet outlines all the differences and the teacher went through why each one sucked compared to Catholicism!! Ridiculous.

I know this is just my experience, and I'm not rubbishing your choices, but I would just want you to wary that you seem to so confidently expect your child to simply be educated about a religion like it's just another subject. It's generally not like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeyMumma View Post
    Lots of people have given the same sorts of reasons though? She isn't bagging all public schools, she is answering a question about why she chose private over public in her personal circumstances/ area. Lots of other people gave the same reasons and haven't been dragged over the coals.
    Some people have looooooong memories on here though - but not always correct ones

9. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My parents sent me to 3 different Catholic high schools. My mother was of the impression that paying for the school automatically meant a better education. Problem was, the school I went to for grades 9 and 10 was rubbish. The teachers were more concerned with their extra marital affairs and flirting with students to actually teach anything. I would have probably been better off in public.

My eldest goes to a public school. But we have zero choice and honestly, I love his school and I am more than happy for his siblings to go their also. The previous principals weren't great but the new one we have now, since last year, is really turning things around and it is the perfect environment for my children. It's a small school. It's a k-12 and only has 20 odd kids going (that's like 1 to 5 ratios). I know every teacher and staff member, as do my kids. I like it. If I lived in a city, I think I would just inspect the schools to see where my kids would suit best. I think each school should be judged on individual merit and you can have good and bad in both public and private ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess schools can be quite different.
    My dh went to a catholic high school. He is non practicing catholic and only prays when he is in trouble and wants help from God! He was there for 5 years and probably knows less about his own religion than I do and I am non religious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    The level of hostility towards religion and religious people is astounding. In hubbub land we are always made out to be dumb and in able to do anything outside their preconceived ideas of what we should think or do. When say say we feel different we are made out to be liars.

BTW our private school doesn't have a nice big swimming pool and fridges in every classroom like the local state schools do. We don't have a single fancy building. We do have a great special needs program.

I find it the opposite TBH. On this forum we discuss varying parenting styles, political leanings, world views. But the moment anyone even slightly debates religion, even from their end, it's met with angry emotive responses that basically they have to stop. Everything is taken so personally and it becomes like this taboo subject. But when those people are asked to be sensitive to Santa, they say that santa is a lie and not to tell them how to deal with their child, even if they tell other kids. because that's what kids do. Paraphrasing of course.

So it becomes 'blindly respect my beliefs, but I won't respect yours for X reason'.

And while I'm well aware not every private school has a pool, I do believe many parents send their kids to the expensive private schools for prestige, not bc the school is better. Which is fine, but it most certainly does happen.
    Last edited by delirium; 06-02-2016 at 08:42.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (06-02-2016),Moxy  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Deleted because its not worth the effort
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 06-02-2016 at 08:53.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2016),LoveLivesHere  (06-02-2016)