+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    I find bring prayed for a bit arrogant. I hate that people feel the need to pray for me or people like me. That's arrogance: that you believe you have some special power (ie the power of prayer) to "save" people who you think need to be saved because they don't follow your religion (you as in collective, not you specifically). I don't need to be saved. I'm doing just fine.
    I hate this too and I'm Catholic and believe in God. But I also believe in a persons right to choose what they believe and would never do that to a person. I'd say most believers are more like me and less about praying for 'those poor old non-believers'. Those people exist of course but they're definitely the minority

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Maybe it's just my area or experience with them but I've yet to see an "amazing " public school!
    We choose DS school for its size ( only 300 in primary) the fact it's attached to the high school, it's academic reputation, the quality of teachers, it's facilities and extra curricular activities, it's very multicultural and I love the culture of the school and the way they treat the boys - my bother went there and I have tons of friends and clients kids who go there , the religious aspect was the only thing not ideal but it's such a minuscule part of it that it wasn't a bother - I would have trouble with a Catholic school however as I find they are a lot more full on ( which they are allowed to be)
    My kids attend an amazing public school. On paper it's low SES but there is a Gifted program, huge musical and band program which is funded by the school and P&C. We have very strong Indigenous ties, we clean up at Eisteddfods, sporting, Spelling Bee's. There has been a mass exodus from the local catholic school I attended to our public bc it's so fantastic. The teachers are passionate and highly capable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Maybe it's just my area or experience with them but I've yet to see an "amazing " public school!
    We choose DS school for its size ( only 300 in primary) the fact it's attached to the high school, it's academic reputation, the quality of teachers, it's facilities and extra curricular activities, it's very multicultural and I love the culture of the school and the way they treat the boys - my bother went there and I have tons of friends and clients kids who go there , the religious aspect was the only thing not ideal but it's such a minuscule part of it that it wasn't a bother - I would have trouble with a Catholic school however as I find they are a lot more full on ( which they are allowed to be)
    How many public schools have you personally visited?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

delirium  (06-02-2016),Renn  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Which is great but I know for a fact that's not the norm for public schools in Sydney, especially the smaller ones who seem to always be lacking in funding - I've never seen a public school that has the same things we love about DS school, if I did then yes I would probably send him there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yeah I agree. Our school doesn't have the nice new building of the catholic, we are Demountable City WE don't wear blazers and straw hats, but we are performing well, our bullying is almost non-existent and our school really excels at treating the kids as individuals, which is the main reason we are getting the catholic kids (I've talked to several parents as to why).

I know there are def horrible public schools, but the same can be said for private. Beneath those older buildings and less prestigious name is often a wonderful, inclusive environment with teachers who just want to make a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Probably more than the average person as there are 16 public schools, 4 catholic schools and 2 private schools in the area I sell real estate in so through out my 25 year career I've been to all but a few either through sponsorship, family, friends and clients - apart from what is my house worth, what are the best schools is the 2nd most popular question I get asked! People move homes to get their kids away/to certain schools

We sponsor the local one for work so know it quite well, and I grew up in the area and have lots of friends and family here , my nieces all started at the local schools ( all were eventually moved private) and I'm currently helping my SIL research them for her twins who start next year as she can't afford private until high school - DH went to the local primary and high public schools which is one of the main reasons he didn't want DS there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Be honest....

Which is great but I know for a fact that's not the norm for public schools in Sydney, especially the smaller ones who seem to always be lacking in funding - I've never seen a public school that has the same things we love about DS school, if I did then yes I would probably send him there!
    How many public schools did you visit personally?

I couldn't care less about a swimming pool or immaculately manicured lawns.

My deputy principal at my school had a meeting at {removed by moderator} the other week as they were trying to poach her two sons for rugby. She said it was sickening when she walked in and down a massive stairway (maybe 6 floors she said?) when she thought about our school.

And when you think about a public schools "lack of funding" as you say well then I'd say that public schools do freaking amazing with the resources we have. We can't pick and choose our students like private schools can, and for that the public school teachers do a great job. Private schools pick the best of the best. Of course you're going to get results, but just looking at the results for {removed by moderator} it says 67% of students achieved state average in the hsc last year. Seriously, if I'm paying $30,600 a year for year 11 and 12 then I would expect 100% achieving at state average in the hsc.
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 06-02-2016 at 09:15.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Be honest....

How many public schools did you visit personally?

I couldn't care less about a swimming pool or immaculately manicured lawns.

My deputy principal at my school had a meeting at {removed by moderator}And when you think about a public schools "lack of funding" as you say well then I'd say that public schools do freaking amazing with the resources we have. We can't pick and choose our students like private schools can, and for that the public school teachers do a great job. Private schools pick the best of the best. .

It's starting to annoy me now - I can send DS to wherever I choose and if I choose private then why on earth it should bother people so much is a mystery to me, I really don't get why people care so much on where other people send their kids to school , all my comments are MY experiences, I don't go sprouting crap about other peoples schools or start naming them so thanks so much for that, a lot of respect was just lost

I Im quite happy to keep debating on why "I" prefer private schools so if you want to start another thread go for it! Im confident in the choices I make for MY son
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 06-02-2016 at 09:13.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2016),AdornedWithCats  (06-02-2016),cheeeeesecake  (06-02-2016),gingermillie  (06-02-2016),Lincolns mummy  (06-02-2016),LoveLivesHere  (06-02-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (06-02-2016),sunnyflower  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Be honest....

It's starting to annoy me now - I can send DS to wherever I choose and if I choose private then why on earth it should bother people so much is a mystery to me, I really don't get why people care so much on where other people send their kids to school , all my comments are MY experiences, I don't go sprouting crap about other peoples schools or start naming them so thanks so much for that, a lot of respect was just lost

I Im quite happy to keep debating on why "I" prefer private schools so if you want to start another thread go for it! Im confident in the choices I make for MY son
    I only know your son's school because you mentioned it on here after an article I posted once about white mono-culture in schools.

So it's ok for you to bag out public schools?

Rightio!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I only know your son's school because you mentioned it on here after an article I posted once about white mono-culture in schools.

So it's ok for you to bag out public schools?

Rightio!
    Lots of people have given the same sorts of reasons though? She isn't bagging all public schools, she is answering a question about why she chose private over public in her personal circumstances/ area. Lots of other people gave the same reasons and haven't been dragged over the coals.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-02-2016),AdornedWithCats  (06-02-2016),binnielici  (06-02-2016),cheeeeesecake  (06-02-2016),Elijahs Mum  (06-02-2016),Jontu  (06-02-2016),LoveLivesHere  (06-02-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (06-02-2016),sunnyflower  (06-02-2016)