+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    DS school is Anglican but we have catholic, muslim , Buddhist and jewish kids there , you don't need to be Christian or baptised and there are no sacraments etc and it's no where near as "religious" as catholic schools seem to be

I think sometimes there is s misconception that these schools are brainwashing the kids and it's simply not true, no body is told their sins are being absolved or they will go to hell! in primary school it's all stories and songs and in high school , most of us like me with non religious families treated it like any other subject and ignored it!

There have been heaps of threads on here complaining about public schools forcing religion onto the kids which I think is worse !
    Are you in a bad area zoning wise for public schools? Just trying to understand why you would send your child to a religious school as opposed to public. I know you say they aren't very religious, but they are still Anglican. My DD now receives zero religious education since pulling out of scripture.

I should add, I'm not criticising people's schooling decisions. Each to their own, your kids. I'm just trying to understand why openly atheist parents send their kids to religious schools when the public system is amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    You can opt out of scripture no questions asked though, which we have. In catholic schools you have to do RE, and in high school and for the HSC they are proper measurable subjects that go towards your TER (or whatever the hell it is now lol). I went Catholic primary and high, and in secondary, doing RE including for Years 11 and 12 are non negotiable.
    I have thought about the RE in school thing. At first I was like no.... Now I think I would send them. I want them to learn about all religions and if that includes learning that some religious educators are ... Better?Than others/some are full of crap then that's a good lesson to learn. I will be their voice of reason if they come across something which is totally ridiculous. I feel Being exposed will help my kids later in life.

Now you can tell me to Sod off!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

delirium  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For me with DS1 it was feral public school or catholic school so a no brainer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

delirium  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I should add, I'm not criticising people's schooling decisions. Each to their own, your kids. I'm just trying to understand why openly atheist parents send their kids to religious schools when the public system is amazing.
    Purely because the public school they are zoned to is crap.

Many athiests have grown up with religion and became athiests as adults, so why shouldn't they send their kids to a religious school if that's how they were brought up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    . I'm just trying to understand why openly atheist parents send their kids to religious schools when the public system is amazing.
    For me:
    * local public school is huge - don't know if my sensitive DS would cope
    * I would like my kids to have some attachment to their heritage (religious) on their dads side
    * local private school has rave reviews and we're in the catchment area. Others from out of area always to try and get in.
    * local private school has much less of a bullying problem (I've heard hot to stories from friends with kids at the public school) and has a very active parents and kids social network (yeah I know that can change). Once again I think it will be better for my DS.
    * exposure to a religion for educational purposes is a bonus factor but not the main factor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    The public school I work at would be considered feral. But you know what, we've been in the newspaper for amazing achievement and the NSW minister for education has singled out our school as the top performer in a NSW public school initiative to help disadvantaged students and lift achievement levels. Yet many parents shun our school and go to the catholic school or apply out of area to other public schools.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Renn  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Yeah see I do get that reason

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe it's just my area or experience with them but I've yet to see an "amazing " public school!
    We choose DS school for its size ( only 300 in primary) the fact it's attached to the high school, it's academic reputation, the quality of teachers, it's facilities and extra curricular activities, it's very multicultural and I love the culture of the school and the way they treat the boys - my bother went there and I have tons of friends and clients kids who go there , the religious aspect was the only thing not ideal but it's such a minuscule part of it that it wasn't a bother - I would have trouble with a Catholic school however as I find they are a lot more full on ( which they are allowed to be)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I've reached a point in my life where I'm just not sure. I don't 100% believe in God, but I don't 100% not believe either. I'm like @harvs - I would actually like to believe and in some ways I envy those who do.

I find the "I'm too much of a scientist to believe in God" argument a little arrogant if I'm honest. I have many friends who have doctorates and who are some of the smartest people I know who believe in God. Science can't explain everything. Age and I hope a little patience has taught me to be a lot more open than I once was.

My girls attend an Anglican school and my son attends a Presbyterian school. They have 20 minutes RE once a fortnight plus chapel. It's very low on the agenda and covers philosophy and other religions. I actually like what they have learned so far.
    I actually don't think accepting science is arrogant. I accept science doesn't have all the answers but I don't accept that that's because the answer is something outside science, it's simply that we haven't figured it out yet. It's not arrogance, it's acceptance that science has all the answers, they're just waiting to be found. I find bring prayed for a bit arrogant. I hate that people feel the need to pray for me or people like me. That's arrogance: that you believe you have some special power (ie the power of prayer) to "save" people who you think need to be saved because they don't follow your religion (you as in collective, not you specifically). I don't need to be saved. I'm doing just fine.

On the death thing, I'm not at all afraid of death. I don't want to die, but I don't fear it. I fear the physical pain that may accompany it, but TBH death itself I'm OK with. The thought of an eternal afterlife gives me the creeps. I don't want to live forever in any capacity and I don't want people watching over me. My thoughts and my feelings are private, I don't know why anyone would take comfort in those things being shared with whoever it is that they believe exists as a higher power. If they do, good on them, it's just not for me.

I've told DS1 that I think when we die, that's it, it's all over and there's nothing. We're quite matter of fact about death with the kids. It happens, it's final and it's just part of the circle of life.
    Last edited by Moxy; 06-02-2016 at 09:36.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-02-2016),Renn  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks for the responses

The thing is Vic, I want my kids to learn about religion, but all of them. As far as I know, Catholic/religious schools only do other religions in the HSC. So it's a very one sided view until then. Which is perfectly find if you are religious. But if you want your kids to get a balanced view? You'd be better to just spend the time with your child discussing it.

Of course, JMHO