+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 week old won't sleep unless being held.

Hi all, as the title says my 4 week old wont sleep unless being held. This is my second child. With the first we had a range of sleep issues but nothing like this. Its ok during the day as i can carry him in a baby bjorn or sling. But at night its getting impossible. Every time I put him down 10 min later bam hes awake again and screaming. So i end up sleeping propped up holding him. This scares me silly. But im not sure what else to do. Our nurse says it's perfectly normal and you cant create bad habbits this young and it generally starts to improve between 6-8 weeks. But i just want to find a safer way of sleeping so he and i can get better rest. Anyone else experience this? TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried an infant swing or something similar like a rocker/sleeper that keeps them snug and upright when they sleep?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Kasia15  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have during the day. But not at night

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did exactly the same with my DS1. I just went with it, it was too stressful to try and change things. It wasn't long until I was able to slide him off my chest and then just co-sleep cuddling him at my side. During the day though I still had to stay with him on me. Eventually he was able to sleep on his own, no permanent Bad Habits here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Kasia15  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I did exactly the same with my DS1. I just went with it, it was too stressful to try and change things. It wasn't long until I was able to slide him off my chest and then just co-sleep cuddling him at my side. During the day though I still had to stay with him on me. Eventually he was able to sleep on his own, no permanent Bad Habits here.
    Thanks!, i know hes still little and have no intention of making him cry or anything like that. Just want to be safe. How old was yours when he was able to sleep on his own at night?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried something like this co-sleeper that goes in your bed? That way bub is right there but safe and you can sleep with your hand on their chest?
    https://www.bigw.com.au/product/the-...0000000004921/

Or does bub literally need to be held up?
    My DD is now 7 months she screamed whenever she was put down from about week 6 onwards. Turns out she has silent reflux that was upsetting her when laying down. Within a week of medication at about 10 weeks she was much better at laying down.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Kasia15  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasia15 View Post
    Thanks!, i know hes still little and have no intention of making him cry or anything like that. Just want to be safe. How old was yours when he was able to sleep on his own at night?
    He was 13 months old... I know that probably sounds like a really long way away to you at the moment (sorry!) but it doesn't feel like that at the time, and also there are gradual improvements. Somewhere along the way, I was able to lie him down beside me instead of on top of me, then I was able to lie down with him to get him to sleep and then get up afterwards to shower/eat/housework etc for short periods, then longer periods. So it does improve. Plus, I got cuddles!! I never ever get a cuddle off him anymore, so lucky I got my fair share of them when he was a baby lol.

As far as safety goes, I just propped myself and surrounds with pillows in bed. Oh and it wasn't long (as in days/weeks) before he allowed me to lay flat on just ONE pillow like a normal person lol. I also found that I slept very lightly, so if he started to move or squirm I woke up just enough to reposition and make sure he was safe, and then drift back to sleep.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Kasia15  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine is sleeping in the swing right now

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a similar problem - Ember would only sleep ON me. So I would be laying on the couch, watching tv at 2am with a baby sleeping on my chest. She eventually grew out of around the 6 week mark, but I feel your pain.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GothicBeeza For This Useful Post:

Kasia15  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Got him to sleep two lots of 1.5 hours in the bassinet last night! When he cried i just picked him up gave him a cuddle and kept putting him back down and patted him to sleep. Exhausting for me but hopefully it will get better. I miss sleeping horizontally. Lol