Closed Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be asking. At the daycare my kids went to they worked with a paediatric dietician to meet the daily requirements for kids of each age group while they were at daycare. They used to have cake for birthdays, but with so many kids and so many birthdays they decided it was too much, and so they stopped doing it. It was great. My kids favourite lunch at daycare was lentil soup, actually
    My kids have eaten fairy bread, sure. At the end of the day though...if we've got 3 birthday parties on the weekend, then that's their sugar intake for the week. Add in fairy bread or sweet treats given out at daycare/school, then it becomes hard to have a balanced diet. I actually hate it when I go to pick my kids up from school, and might plan to take them out for an ice-cream for afternoon tea, and it's been some 'special whatever bs crap' day, and they've been loaded up with crap at school. It sucks, because then I can't take them out for ice-cream because they've already had too much at school. I work on an 80/20 rule when it comes to food, and as far as I'm concerned schools/daycares/pre-schools etc. shouldn't be providing non nutritional rubbish to kids, because they have no idea how many parties kids might be going to, or what the plans are...and for those kids who don't get fed healthily at home ever, well, wouldn't it be nice if they could be given healthy, nutritional food at school.

As I say to my kids 'when we know better, we do better,' so the whole 'back in my day' thing doesn't cut it because we're a much more obese and unhealthy country than we were 30+ years ago.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (04-02-2016),just her chameleon  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForWine View Post
    Honestly - its fairy bread, not crack cocaine.

Would it worry me if it was a special occasion - nope.

My kids are awesome eaters and LOVE all the nutritious good stuff - they have a great healthy relationship with food - they know what is good for them. They know that treats are just that and not to be eaten all the time. They also know that its not 'bad' to eat treats.

I refuse to obsess over food and I refuse to teach my children to obsess over food.
    LOL love this. I can't believe so much debate over fairy bread. My kids don't eat it every day, actually can't remember the last time they even ate it. Everyone knows its a treat or party food. But if it was offered to my child at daycare occasionally, I wouldn't care.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (05-02-2016),TimeForWine  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is the BH I remember - 70 plus posts on fairy bread LOL
    (and no I didn't plan that ).

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

amyd  (04-02-2016),FirstTimeMummy2012  (04-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-02-2016),MrsA2B  (04-02-2016),VicPark  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Fairy bread for afternoon tea at 2y olds childcare? ??

I wouldn't like it. I just can't see why (outside of a birthday) there is a need for serving it at daycare.

As an aside I have to say daycare is not what it used to be. None of my kids have attended day care for years but I've never heard of tv, fairy bread etc being used at day care.
    Last edited by Sonja; 04-02-2016 at 13:48.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (04-02-2016),just her chameleon  (04-02-2016),VicPark  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think that's normal or common. Mind you my DS first taste of cake was at a childcare centre (he wasn't even 1!) and I wasn't happy. I think it was a one off - but still I don't think they should serve things like that at that age. Kids are happy enough with a fruit platter (and parents too!).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (04-02-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Fairy bread for afternoon tea at 2y olds childcare? ??

Everyday it would bother me. Once a fortnight? Not at all.

I love fairy bread. It's an Australian delicacy! 😋

ETA: most centres I've worked at or known of have a sweeter afternoon tea, and occasionally it is fairy bread. I would say it's not uncommon.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (05-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (04-02-2016),J37  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    wouldn't bother me. fairy bread - YUM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow. Fairy bread gets us 'all fired up' (borrowed that from Marshall i.e. Paw Patrol).

I think unless there is an allergy/intolerance then I believe in teaching my toddler about food. Yes, he gets 'junk'. But it is honestly a sometimes food anyway. At the christmas party last year he ate marshmallows and watermelon. He pretty much just said no to chocolate/lollies etc and ate watermelon.

So fairy bread for me as a sometimes treat is ok. I would be disappointed if it was on the weekly menu though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    wouldn't bother me. fairy bread - YUM.
    At my 40th Birthday (which I share with my son, who turned 5), we put out fairy bread and cocktail franks (amongst much more, obviously) "for the kids". Guess which group ate the greater % of said foods?

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (05-02-2016),GlitterFarts  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    Not all allergies cause anaphylaxis. I'm not talking about an anaphylactic allergy. Allow me to rephrase. What if she had an intolerance to chocolate? What if my child were only 5 and the lure of chocolate far outweighed the effects of that intolerance in her little mind?
    At the end of the day IMO, it's irresponsible to be handing out chocolate to little kids as a teacher in a classroom setting as praise or a job well done! Id rather my daughter get a sticker or a stamp than a lump of sugar.
    You may not think so. But I do.
    Even if a child isn't known to be anaphylactic many still carry an epipen because with many allergies you actually don't know if they are anaphylactic until it happens because their reaction gets worse each time they are exposed. I carry an epipen for my son but so far he is not known to be anaphylactic. Teachers would know this. An intolerance, again, your job to let the teacher know and I am sure they would accommodate accordingly if they are passing out once off treats.

Rest of my post general....

I have no issue with fairy bread as an occasional treat but wouldn't really be keen on it as part of the regular menu, but I would need to see the menu and how often it was being given along with other options to really decide how annoyed I'd be.

I currently tend to follow a personal guideline with treats that if DS doesn't know it exists than I usually don't see the point in giving it to him. Example, the barber who cut his hair asked if he could have a lollipop and I declined as so far DS is oblivious to their existence so I feel why not keep that going for as long as possible. This doesn't mean he never has treats, we're regulars with Babycinos and muffins. And his diet since me getting pregnant and sick is definitely not as strict as it used to be. I think we can allow our children some *joys* in life while still encouraging good eating choices.

Early this week we made a practice run of DS' birthday cake. Seriously all he could talk about while it was baking, 'cake! Cake!' He had dinner in the meantime; carrots, healthy fries, sweet potato and a salmon fillet. Ate the entire salmon fillet and a couple of carrots, wouldn't touch the rest. Then served him a piece of cake with his Greek yogurt and banana in a bowl to the side as he continually shouted 'cake cake!' Then proceeded to push the cake to the side, without tasting it, and eat his yogurt. 😳

Toddlers just do what they do. By all means, encourage and offer healthy food, but I agree with J37, occasional treats are not the end of the world.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast