Closed Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    So...bad parenting, I suppose

She gets an ice-cream when we do the grocery shopping. She begs me for a quinoa and lentil salad...but I put my foot down.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    And she's clearly very obese! Damn that soft serve ice cream!!!!

Yes that was sarcasm!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Fairy bread for afternoon tea at 2y olds childcare? ??

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    If your child was allergic, then they would know, and tell the teacher no thanks.
    Plus if your child has allergies, surely you would be notifying the teacher, and it would be on their record and have an Epipen on site.
    Not all allergies cause anaphylaxis. I'm not talking about an anaphylactic allergy. Allow me to rephrase. What if she had an intolerance to chocolate? What if my child were only 5 and the lure of chocolate far outweighed the effects of that intolerance in her little mind?
    At the end of the day IMO, it's irresponsible to be handing out chocolate to little kids as a teacher in a classroom setting as praise or a job well done! Id rather my daughter get a sticker or a stamp than a lump of sugar.
    You may not think so. But I do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't believe people think a 4.5yr old would turn down chocolate/lollies. Until you've seen a complete meltdown from a reaction to artificial colours /preservatives you have no idea how bad it can be. It terrifies me that my DS will be given something that will trigger a complete meltdown.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (04-02-2016),Full House  (04-02-2016),VicPark  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    Not all allergies cause anaphylaxis. I'm not talking about an anaphylactic allergy. Allow me to rephrase. What if she had an intolerance to chocolate? What if my child were only 5 and the lure of chocolate far outweighed the effects of that intolerance in her little mind?
    At the end of the day IMO, it's irresponsible to be handing out chocolate to little kids as a teacher in a classroom setting as praise or a job well done! Id rather my daughter get a sticker or a stamp than a lump of sugar.
    That's something that a teacher should be made aware of before a child enters the classroom.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

InvisibleWoman  (05-02-2016),VicPark  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm all for nutrition.

I just wonder how many parents worry so much about obesity that they don't realize they might be shaping an unhealthy relationship with food at the other end of the spectrum for their child.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-02-2016),amcyus  (05-02-2016),amyd  (04-02-2016),bellibean  (04-02-2016),butterfly2013  (05-02-2016),delirium  (05-02-2016),HearMeRoar  (05-02-2016),MyLittleStar  (05-02-2016),Robyn400  (04-02-2016),Stretched  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, if at 2.5, she can tell the nutritional differences between fairy bread, and bread with chocolate spread, then surely at 5yo, she should know that chocolate makes her tummy feel bad and so she will say no?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I just can't see how serving fairy bread is sending the right message about nutrition. White bread = no nutritional value. Margarine = rubbish. 100's and 1000's = sugar and additives. Yeah, I think I'll pass on that for my 2.5 year old. I'd rather she learn about what's good for her and what's not right now! Oh and she's certainly not eating quinoa or lentils 😂

Call me "crazy" but I'd rather my daughter have a slice of whole meal bread with a homemade chocolate spread packed full of real almonds, hazelnuts and cacao then some fake margarine with sugar balls all over it! Yuk!
    Try having a kid who is allergic to nuts = no home made but spread, sesame = no wholemeal or seed bread as its too hard to check for sesames, intolerant to dairy = must have nuttelex / margarine.

It's great that you're able to have the time to make home made things and have your child eat all wealthy foods, but it's not so simple for everyone.

My GP at my DDs 4 year check up sees how stressed I am about her eating at each appointment so he asked me to go through her diet and though it's not the best and her only veggie intake is through rafferty pouches and pumpkin scones he said to stop stressing about her eating and continue as we are. That withholding treats isn't going to make her eat better, nor is it going to make her sick.

I know there is an obesity problem even amongst kids but it's generally when kids every single meal is sugar and trans fat laden, not because kids have a sweet and sugary treat every afternoon. Lighten up everyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    I can't believe people think a 4.5yr old would turn down chocolate/lollies. Until you've seen a complete meltdown from a reaction to artificial colours /preservatives you have no idea how bad it can be. It terrifies me that my DS will be given something that will trigger a complete meltdown.
    I'm sure if you are very adamant and specific with your DS's teachers, they will avoid it at all costs.

I also imagine that these small chocolate treats are not being given to children as young as 5, more the older primary school students - am I right @Tamtam?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I'm sure if you are very adamant and specific with your DS's teachers, they will avoid it at all costs.

I also imagine that these small chocolate treats are not being given to children as young as 5, more the older primary school students - am I right @Tamtam?
    I really hope so. It is truly hell seeing him react to things. He completely loses control, and you can see in his eyes he's terrified because he has no idea why he's feeling like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I know there is an obesity problem even amongst kids but it's generally when kids every single meal is sugar and trans fat laden, not because kids have a sweet and sugary treat every afternoon. Lighten up everyone!
    I also think inactivity in children plays a huge role in obesity. Back when I was young, children played outside for hours on end, running around and riding bikes. Many of these youngsters now spend their spare time in front of screens (computers/tablets/gaming/TV). They are not burning off the calories they consume.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (05-02-2016),FearlessLeader  (04-02-2016),MrsSS  (04-02-2016)

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast