Closed Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    Who gave you power to decide what's irrelevant and not?

You quoted me on a comment I made about 4/5 year olds and you talked about 10/11 year olds. I'd say that's pretty irrelevant. Kinda like comparing apples and fish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am fine with my kids having treats, but wouldn't be happy with fairy bread being a regular childcare snack. The guidelines for food at child care are quite strict - it needs to be limited in salt & sugar, & needs to contain a certain amount of servings of each different food group per week. For something to be on the regular/ weekly menu, it is closely scrutinised during accreditation. Usually 'treats' at daycare such as ice cream; cake and fairy bread are occassional birthday party treats for a child in that room - which I personally would be fine with.

To the PP who suggested a home made nut butter - nuts are a HUGE no-no in daycare centres due to allergies.

I am a big believer in moderation. I would be fine with it every now and then, as long as it is not happening too often.

ETA - I am a teacher (& past childcsre worker), & when a child has alllergies or dietary requirements, we absolutely know about it. We ask the parents to inform us multiple times before their child begins school if there are dietary issues.
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 04-02-2016 at 21:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Actually I think it was me who originally said about chocolate in class. And I was asked and clarified that I was indeed referring to older primary children.
    Yep I know. The discussion happened before you clarified 😉

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Fairy bread for afternoon tea at 2y olds childcare? ??

I haven't read the entire thread, just the first few pages. But I have one pressing comment I need to add right now-

Bishes be dissin' fairy bread?!? Oh HELL NO!! I don't believe anyone who dislikes fairy bread has an actual human soul

The other thing I wanted to say (and not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet) is that I very highly doubt it's on the menu or the centre would lose serious accreditation points. They have to demonstrate that a balanced and healthy diet is offered, so even if they're feeding them fairy bread every day it's highly unlikely to be on the actual official menu.

ETA I meant 'on the menu' as in they have it every afternoon, or very regularly as I assumed the OP was trying to ascertain.
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 04-02-2016 at 21:59.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    You quoted me on a comment I made about 4/5 year olds and you talked about 10/11 year olds. I'd say that's pretty irrelevant. Kinda like comparing apples and fish.
    Again incorrect.

Tamtam posted this
    Originally Posted by Tamtam
    Gosh as a teacher I've done lessons using m&ms and chocolate. I don't think that caused the national obesity crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    So you give kids chocolate in a classroom setting without parents consent?
    I don't see anyone there talking about age's of children whatsoever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP (if you are still reading lol) - I think you may need a meeting with the director. I think maybe you can clarify concerns with food, shoes etc. Do they put the weekly menu up somewhere? Maybe you can ask this. Also, maybe ask what they do for birthdays (maybe it was someone's birthday).

You need to be comfortable that the centre your toddler is attending is what you want. (If that makes sense).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I haven't read the entire thread, just the first few pages. But I have one pressing comment I need to add right now-

Bishes be dissin' fairy bread?!? Oh HELL NO!! I don't believe anyone who dislikes fairy bread has an actual human soul
    Can I just ask. Is it the ultimate worst thing ever when instead of using 100's and 1000's someone uses those long colourful things instead (wtf are they called???). DH was horrified when that turned up at a childcare party as fairy bread.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (05-02-2016),FearlessLeader  (04-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (05-02-2016),wobbleyhorse  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    OP (if you are still reading lol) - I think you may need a meeting with the director. I think maybe you can clarify concerns with food, shoes etc. Do they put the weekly menu up somewhere? Maybe you can ask this. Also, maybe ask what they do for birthdays (maybe it was someone's birthday).

You need to be comfortable that the centre your toddler is attending is what you want. (If that makes sense).
    This. As the OP has posted a few threads asking what the normal don't thing is.

My DD started at a new centre this week. Her old one didn't do food. They post a menu for the week. I also asked about shoes and sleep. .and toileting etc. I took DD today late and the children were watching peppa pig. Which I found surprising as that never happened at our old centre. But I noticed the educators trying to clean up morning tea quickly. And as it was raining I assume they were watching tv so they could do this instead of playing outside. If I saw it a lot I'd definitely ask about how much they watch etc.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (04-02-2016)

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post

The other thing I wanted to say (and not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet) is that I very highly doubt it's on the menu or the centre would lose serious accreditation points. They have to demonstrate that a balanced and healthy diet is offered, so even if they're feeding them fairy bread every day it's highly unlikely to be on the actual official menu.
    This is the official menu for the centre I looked at, it is printed on their website too.

Week 3 Fairy Bread for afternoon tea and then again for late snack...

There are a few other items on the list that I didn't agree with either nutrigrain, jatz and arrowroot biscuits being some of them...

http://media.wix.com/ugd//13b6e1_860...d3a8e6f497.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    Again incorrect.

Tamtam posted this
    Originally Posted by Tamtam
    Gosh as a teacher I've done lessons using m&ms and chocolate. I don't think that caused the national obesity crisis.

I don't see anyone there talking about age's of children whatsoever.
    If you keep reading after that we did discuss ages actually, but seeing as I'm someone who doesn't feel the need to be right (especially over chocolate on a fairy bread post), please take this comment as perhaps there was a miscommunication and I humbly apologise for my part in that.