Closed Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post

Surely there must be some more serious things to worry about.
    Like stuff that makes our kids fat and sends them batty?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (04-02-2016),FirstTimeMummy2012  (04-02-2016),Full House  (04-02-2016),just her chameleon  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    funny I was about to quote you lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post

Call me "crazy" but I'd rather my daughter have a slice of whole meal bread with a homemade chocolate spread packed full of real almonds, hazelnuts and cacao !
    Who has the time to make that?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who has the time to make that?
    Obviously she does

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

bellibean  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought toilet etiquette is pretty important/serious stuff...

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-02-2016),binnielici  (05-02-2016),DaveTTC  (04-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-02-2016),VicPark  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the problem is that the idea of 'occasional treats' varies so much. Some people in here are saying that an occasional treat might be every one or two weeks, but for others (like me), an occasional treat is a few times a year...so having fairy bread every two weeks is waayyyy too much, especially at 2 years of age for us. I was very much a 'they don't need to have it when they don't even know what they're missing out on' type person so I would have been pretty upset if daycare gave my child fairy bread at 2 years of age.. Heck, I was upset when one of my kids (age 5 t the time) went to a friend's house after school and they had donuts for afternoon tea. We don't eat donuts, and have never given our kids donuts. I didn't make a big deal out of it, just let the mum know that our kids have never had donuts before (and she was pretty apologetic even though I didn't expect an apology).
    I'm in my 30's and there are lots of foods that I haven't tried, or feel the need to have as a 'treat' so I don't feel like I'm missing out. I don't see why my kids would be any different.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok this annoys me so much I'll bite and take you up on this.

One or two pieces .... even 4 ar a stretch. Is this seriously going to make out kids fat?

If this makes our kids fat there are more significant issues at play.

Yes there are some kids that react badly to additives and other things. Lets take these out of the equation. Such children should have been identified already and care taken to protect them in a care environment.

If fat kids and unhealthy diet are iur concern then equally life style.

Put the diet police at every fast food outlet. Have identity bracelets / smart watch on each person with gps tracking and an electronic footprint that records every purhase made. This can be compared with physical activity and maybe record of time spent playing electronic devices etc.

Seriously there is nothing at this stage to suggest it is a regular thing. Even if it was a regular 'afternoon tea' thing it is hardly going to make kids fat.

Bread .... staple diet in most of the world

Margarine ... used by much of the western world

Hundres and thousands ... by no means healthy but what volume are we talking here? What is the actual impact on a child?

Day care may be the most active some of these children ever are. Maybe instead of critical analysis of day care we would be better looking at our selves and contemplating what we can do to help our kids have a more active and healthy life style.

I know some here are much more careul with their own diets and their childrens than others.

If an individual does not like faory bread for themselves or their kids so be it. Communicate that to the centre and the world if need be. It does not need to get to the stage where the centre is called 'bad' etc

We talk about centres being a role model. Ok (forgetting that should be a parents job), then should they not teach moderation? Should they not teach reality?

For every person who has downed the centre it would be interesting to know when the last time you got drunk, ate junk food, ate take away etc.

I hardly believe the centre would be encouraging gluttonous devouring of unhealthy food.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-02-2016),bellibean  (04-02-2016),butterfly2013  (05-02-2016),Jontu  (04-02-2016),~Marigold~  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I'm sure if you are very adamant and specific with your DS's teachers, they will avoid it at all costs.

I also imagine that these small chocolate treats are not being given to children as young as 5, more the older primary school students - am I right @Tamtam?
    DS1 started prep last week. First day he came home with a bag of treats. I have no objection to this. Our teacher knows if we have allergies, he is intolerant to some additives but I haven't told the school that so its my fault if he has reaction. The teacher also instructed them that they weren't to open them until they got home.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We talk about centres being a role model. Ok (forgetting that should be a parents job), then should they not teach moderation? Should they not teach reality?

For every person who has downed the centre it would be interesting to know when the last time you got drunk, ate junk food, ate take away etc.

I hardly believe the centre would be encouraging gluttonous devouring of unhealthy food.
    They should be role modelling by providing nutritional food, imo. When I'm at work, I eat nutritional food that will give me the energy I need to get through the day. I am a really bad sleeper, so it's super important I eat properly, or I get really tired and don't perform as effectively at work. I do the same for my kids...fill their lunchboxes with food that will help their brains while they're at school learning.
    I doubt the daycare is encouraging gluttonous devouring of unhealthy food either, but why do they need to serve fairy bread? They don't. And they don't know what those kids are going home to eat after daycare. I just don't see why afternoon tea couldn't be a fruit salad? Still a sweet treat, but so much better for the kids.

To answer your questions...last time I got drunk was 12 years ago, I had some chocolate and take away Thai for dinner tonight as I'm home alone (fast food like McDonald's etc. I haven't eaten for 11 years now)...but the difference is I know what I have and haven't been eating. I'm old enough to regulate my own diet, a 2 year old needs parents and carers to do that for them.

ETA - Just to clarify, I'm not trying to argue with you...just give another perspective, as I think we have different thoughts on this kind of thing
    Last edited by Full House; 04-02-2016 at 19:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Ok this annoys me so much I'll bite and take you up on this.

One or two pieces .... even 4 ar a stretch. Is this seriously going to make out kids fat?

If this makes our kids fat there are more significant issues at play.

Yes there are some kids that react badly to additives and other things. Lets take these out of the equation. Such children should have been identified already and care taken to protect them in a care environment.

If fat kids and unhealthy diet are iur concern then equally life style.

Put the diet police at every fast food outlet. Have identity bracelets / smart watch on each person with gps tracking and an electronic footprint that records every purhase made. This can be compared with physical activity and maybe record of time spent playing electronic devices etc.

Seriously there is nothing at this stage to suggest it is a regular thing. Even if it was a regular 'afternoon tea' thing it is hardly going to make kids fat.

Bread .... staple diet in most of the world

Margarine ... used by much of the western world

Hundres and thousands ... by no means healthy but what volume are we talking here? What is the actual impact on a child?

Day care may be the most active some of these children ever are. Maybe instead of critical analysis of day care we would be better looking at our selves and contemplating what we can do to help our kids have a more active and healthy life style.

I know some here are much more careul with their own diets and their childrens than others.

If an individual does not like faory bread for themselves or their kids so be it. Communicate that to the centre and the world if need be. It does not need to get to the stage where the centre is called 'bad' etc

I agree with you regarding parents should be teaching their kids good eating habit. However the reality is there are many parents that just have no idea. They don't fully understand what foods are appropriate and healthy for their child and what serving sizes are appropriate. That's a key reason why so many kids are obese (that and lack of exercise of course). For this reason I think registered childcare centres need to take the highest ground they can and lead by example. Many kids need that example as they ain't getting it at home. BH parents are the exception of course - with everyone one of us on this thread understanding perfectly about diet and moderation

Fairy bread can be to junk food like alcohol is to harder drugs. A gateway. If a daycare centre is offering fairy bread on the menu then I highly doubt that is the only unhealthy food on their menu. Fairy bread for a treat once per fortnight. Tinned spaghetti once per fornight. Chocolate cake once per for night. No name ice cream once per fortnight. Vanilla slice once per fortnight. Lamingtons once per fortnight. Juice once per for night. In isolation each event might not be significant however if a centre has low threshold when it comes to the food they serve it all adds up.

As for kids reacting to the hundreds and thousands - Young kids reacting to artificial colors (icing on a cake, hundreds and thousands) is so common that my mind boggles at the thought a registered childcare centre would have them as an opt-out rather than opt-in (permission needed).

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (04-02-2016),Elijahs Mum  (04-02-2016),just her chameleon  (04-02-2016),Mamasupial  (04-02-2016),Silver flute  (05-02-2016)