+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Toilet etiquette in the workplace

This is a thread in honor of Clever Clogs, LLH and Californication. It is a spinoff of the 'BH is quiet ATM thread.' ***warning - this is an unimportant fluff topic. If you are easily annoyed by fluff then turn away now before the thread goes down the crapper. Pun intended.***

Is there such a thing as toilet etiquette in the workplace? Are there things that peeve you off about people's usage of your workplace toilet?

Here is a list of toilet etiquette according to VicPark. Feel free to disagree or add your own no-no's.

1. If you want to do a dump don't chose a cubicle next to someone if there is another one free! (the bigger the separation the better!)

2. If you plan on doing a nr2 then place a couple of sheets at the bottom of the toilet first in order to minimise the splash back sound effects.

3. If you leave pee drops on the seat wipe them up with toilet paper.

4. If you leave other markings (red/brown etc) then grab a cleaning wipe from your bag and clean! (Everyone should have cleaning wipes in their bag).

5. Don't leave little bits of tampon wrappers on the floor. If you drop them pick them up. If the sanitary napkin bin is full then put the rubbish in your handbag. If you didn't bring your handbag then take the rubbish and put it in the first bin you come to with free space.

6. If you anticipate your nr 2 may involve a musical production to rival Mozart then wait until the toilet block is empty. Or use the disabled toilet (as long as there are no disabled people in need). Your work colleagues don't want to hear a sixth grader learning to play the recorder so they definitely don't want to hear your symphony.

7. If there are multiple people in the toilet block and someone accidentally does something audible/embarassing then whoever flushes first gets to exit first. In order to save face whoever else is in the toilet block has to wait until the first person has fully exited the block before coming out of their cubicle. This way no one ever knows (for sure) who did what.

That's all for now I will try and think of more later. You may ask why the focus on workplace toilets as opposed to other public toilets? Good question. I have to admit it's the knowing what my workmates are doing in the toilet that I find freaky. If I'm at the local shopping mall toilet - I'm not as concerned. Or worried about embarassing myself for that matter.

Good night and you're welcome.
    Last edited by VicPark; 03-02-2016 at 21:35.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (06-02-2016),Mod-xkwzit  (04-02-2016),MrsA2B  (04-02-2016),Summer  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I agree with all of the above!!!

I find it so annoying wen you're in the toilet and there are plenty of others to choose from and they go right next to you.... Why? WHY!!!?

Actually same goes for sitting in restaurants, cafes, movie theatres etc but that's another thread for another day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with 1-5.
    Disagree with no. 6 - sometimes you just gotta go.
    No. 7 - I don't really understand??

I will add one more.
    8. Pretend nothing happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I must be lucky- my workplace doesn't have cubicles, it has 2 separate bathrooms.
    What annoys me- pee on the seat. Hair on the floor (head hair!!). That's about it. Our bathrooms are cleaned a couple of times a day so they're generally pretty good, and very private.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    VicPark, you wrote the toilet ettiquette bible. Agree with all, except for lining the bowl with paper. (I can't do no 1 or no 2 in a toilet that already contains paper- grosses me out).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Completely agree!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is a toilet. People go to the toilet to empty their bowels and/or bladder. I don't think people should have to apologise or pussy foot around if one has to poop.

Also, no. 4? If you are at work, are you always taking your handbag to the toilet? And what if the brown mark is below the water line? How dedicated are you too your principles?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Completely agree, ESPECIALLY point 7!!

I would also like to add:

- there is to be NO TALKING TO COLLEAGUES whilst both IN the neighbouring cubicles!!!!! I used to work with this lady who would make small talk from over yonder. FFS, nooooo!!!!!! I'm trying to get in and out discretely, don't talk to me! 😱

Also, worst case scenario in workplace toilets:
    You go in right after someone has dropped their guts - it stinks of course - then as you exit, ANOTHER colleague walks in. Well of course they now think YOU made that horrendous smell!! Argh!! My worst fear ever at work!

Feels better to let all that out...thanks VP!

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (03-02-2016),binnielici  (04-02-2016),Cherry18Bloss  (04-02-2016),JR03  (05-02-2016),JustJaq  (03-02-2016),MissMuppet  (04-02-2016),Mod-xkwzit  (04-02-2016),VicPark  (04-02-2016),wobbleyhorse  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awww, a thread partly dedicated to me. I'm touched!

I also agree. Especially about cleaning any mess on the seat/in the bowl. I hate going into a loo that has someone else's residue, or worse - wasn't flushed at all. That's just gross.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a toilet etiquette story!

Years ago a bank representative came to our house as we were applying for a loan. The very first thing he did upon walking in the door was ask to use the bathroom. Sure, no problems, I say...
    DH and I were sitting at the dining table waiting for him (the toilet was in the hallway just metres away) and after a few minutes it was apparent that he was shamelessly making himself at home, if you get my drift 😷💩
    The WORST part was when he finally emerged, we could smell it! So we had to sit through a half hour of the most uncomfortable meeting of my life; could not believe it tbh. I mean, would you not go before visiting a client? I remember I excused myself at one stage and casually gave the house a sneaky spritz of air freshener. I know it's a human function etc, but geez.... Blergh! 😱

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (04-02-2016),VicPark  (04-02-2016)