+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I appreciated our principal at the end of last year. Some of the bigger kids were telling the little kids that Santa wasn't real. The principal told them that if the little kids choose to believe in Santa, that's their prerogative and the big kids shouldn't be telling them otherwise. The same goes for God and the same goes for the Aboriginal belief system (our school is largely Aboriginal). No one is going to believe exactly the same things, even within the same groups. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. No matter how truthful or not they seem to someone else. Our school is pretty small so it was easy for the principal to get the message out in one fell swoop.

Regarding the Santa thing specifically, my children (still small) all believe but it's not the be all and end all of Christmas for us. I have seen floating around on Facebook, a letter addressed to a child who had questioned Santa. The parents explained that Santa was a "feeling" not an actual man. The feeling of Santa lives through parents at Christmas time etc. I liked this. I think it is what I will employ when my children start questioning it.

As for the God issue. My eldest knows that his Mummy and Daddy don't believe in God but that he can believe whatever he sees to be true. He says he does believe in God. We are okay with that and we will encourage him to seek any answers he needs. He isn't attached to any religion, I don't think you have to have a religion to believe in God, I find beliefs and religions don't have to be mutually exclusive, but if later on he wants to be acknowledged as part of a religion, that's his choice. Same goes for my other children of course.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Shells85  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I believe that God isn't real and people use religion as an emotional crutch and excuse to persecute others. That's my genuine belief, and the latter is most certainly true.

Are those Christians here ok with me telling my young child that..... who then goes and tells your child that. But that's ok bc that's *my* belief you are trying to extinguish. You can't tell me what I tell my child, and by extension, what my child tells your child.

Do you see the glaring inconsistency here given how upset religious people on this forum get?
    I have no problem with you telling your child anything.

In fact I encourage you to share your beliefs with your children. I think children who parents encourage children to explore their belief system are great.

Kids and a lot of adults say those sort of things to my child a lot. It's the world you live on if your Christian.
    I don't understand why you think that doesn't happen. It is Really really common. I suppose if your not on that field (whatever faith/situation) you aren't in hearing distance of the comments the crowd makes. I know this isn't the best illustration but it was the only one I could think off. I am feeling really sick.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default WWYD? 7 year old daughter being told "Santa isn't real"

My daughter had a boy following her around last year screaming at her that Santa was not real (she's 5 and was a prep last year) she asked me about it and all I said was do you believe in Santa? She said yes and I said that's all that matters and she left it there, when she's older we will have a talk about how it's important to keep the magic alive for younger children and that she's in on the secret now and It's very important that she keeps it magical like we did for her. I was hoping we would get a few more years before it was ruined at school, my cousin was 10 when she found it at school and she actually cried because she was so upset it wasn't true. My sisters kids are 9 and 12 and they still "believe" in Santa because the saying in their house is "if you believe you receive" as in the extra Santa presents 😂. I probably wouldn't bother with talking to the teacher, kids say what they want anyway even if the teacher did have time to discuss that with the other child, just focus on making sure your daughter knows people believe in different things and no one is really right or wrong just different.
    Last edited by PipersMummy; 04-02-2016 at 12:37.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

Shells85  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I tend to agree with LoveLivesHere on this one. To me there's big difference in telling your kids 'we don't believe in Santa' or 'Santa isn't real'. The fact is, as much as it may upset some people to say, Santa isn't real. It's perfectly within ones right to choose to tell their children the truth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I believe that God isn't real and people use religion as an emotional crutch and excuse to persecute others. That's my genuine belief, and the latter is most certainly true.

Are those Christians here ok with me telling my young child that..... who then goes and tells your child that. But that's ok bc that's *my* belief you are trying to extinguish. You can't tell me what I tell my child, and by extension, what my child tells your child.

Do you see the glaring inconsistency here given how upset religious people on this forum get?
    I'm not Christian but I am religious and I do believe in God. This analogy seems to come up a lot in Santa threads and I don't really understand it because it's not the same thing at all. Some people believe in the existence of God and others don't. The fact is that neither side can claim they are correct because we just don't know. Each side is entitled to their personal belief and you can't really be offended by people holding an opposing view as neither side can prove their belief (in theory, obviously some religious fanatics think is fine to force people to agree with them unfortunately).

We know for a fact that Santa isn't real. A more fitting analogy would be the tooth fairy or the Easter bunny. It may offend some people that others don't believe in these fictional stories but it's not just a 'personal belief' that's open to interpretation, their non existence is the truth. I don't think is reasonable for some to be upset that others choose to be honest with their kids.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I'm not Christian but I am religious and I do believe in God. This analogy seems to come up a lot in Santa threads and I don't really understand it because it's not the same thing at all. Some people believe in the existence of God and others don't. The fact is that neither side can claim they are correct because we just don't know. Each side is entitled to their personal belief and you can't really be offended by people holding an opposing view as neither side can prove their belief (in theory, obviously some religious fanatics think is fine to force people to agree with them unfortunately).

We know for a fact that Santa isn't real. A more fitting analogy would be the tooth fairy or the Easter bunny. It may offend some people that others don't believe in these fictional stories but it's not just a 'personal belief' that's open to interpretation, their non existence is the truth. I don't think is reasonable for some to be upset that others choose to be honest with their kids.
    To be fair, to some people the analogy is exactly the same.

In response to the OP, I'd be peeved if someone at school told DS1 Santa isn't real. I wouldn't raise it with the teacher though, I'd try and keep it a non issue so he doesn't over think it. I expect it'll happen sooner or later though. And I wouldn't expect other kids who don't believe to be super cautious about what they say. Even with the best intentions, kids run their mouths off and are more likely to just say whatever they think rather than think and try and word their thoughts in a way that doesn't offend others. That's just kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    😃 wow with this and @VicPark's toilet etiquette post I realise I've seriously been missing out by not being around for a while!!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (04-02-2016),Mod-Degrassi  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    😃 wow with this and @VicPark's toilet etiquette post I realise I've seriously been missing out by not being around for a while!!
    Welcome back!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

kw123  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    To be fair, to some people the analogy is exactly the same.
    It's not though, sure some people think God isn't real, and they're perfectly entitled to do so. They can't prove it though, anymore than I can prove he is real. I can't be upset if they tell their kids he isn't real anymore than they should be upset if I tell my kids he is real. The veracity of our beliefs is up for debate and has been for centuries.

We all agree Santa doesn't exist, it's not debatable. It's a myth, originating from St Nicholas. We can literally trace the evolution of the story into its current 'Hallmarked/ Americanized' form. We know there's no fat guy at the North Pole coming down our chimneys. How can someone be upset that I tell my child the truth. Sure I'll tell my child not to go telling other children at school as my parents did with me but I can't guarantee she won't and I won't tell her it's something we don't 'believe' but others do 'believe' because to me it's not about 'believing' or not, it's just the truth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    I have no problem with you telling your child anything.

In fact I encourage you to share your beliefs with your children. I think children who parents encourage children to explore their belief system are great.

Kids and a lot of adults say those sort of things to my child a lot. It's the world you live on if your Christian.
    I don't understand why you think that doesn't happen. It is Really really common. I suppose if your not on that field (whatever faith/situation) you aren't in hearing distance of the comments the crowd makes. I know this isn't the best illustration but it was the only one I could think off. I am feeling really sick.
    It's the world we live in, period. But with respect, I do wonder whether you'd be ok with my child telling your child that, I don't think you would given your strong responses on here. Which is more than fine. I understand this is your faith and safe place to fall. But I see huge double standards here.

Just because it happens to Christians doesn't mean it is, or should be ok with you and it isn't. Why should it be for me? No offence meant but religious people don't corner the market on being marginalised or feeling outraged lol