+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    My kids tend say we don't believe in Santa rather than he not real.
    I agree. I have told DD1 this as well for God. So she tries to frame it that way.

And then ignore the "well you do know you're going to hell don't you?" Replies she sometimes gets.

God is very real for many people. Santa is only real for some children. But these are all lessons we can help kids learn from.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    No he isn't real but we know there are kids that do believe in him so have a bit of common decency and just tell your kids we don't believe.
    You even said you tell your kids you don't believe, not that he's not real so I don't see what the problem is.
    No I said that's what they have been taught to say.

They know he not real from day dot. We say he is not real.

It has nothing to do with common courtesy. It is a important part of our faith. I am not going to give up part of our faith. Where is the courtesy towards other religions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I agree. I have told DD1 this as well for God. So she tries to frame it that way.

And then ignore the "well you do know you're going to hell don't you?" Replies she sometimes gets.

God is very real for many people. Santa is only real for some children. But these are all lessons we can help kids learn from.
    Thank you Sonja you put it better than I could.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No I said that's what they have been taught to say.

They know he not real from day dot. We say he not real.

It has nothing to do with common courtesy. It is a important part of our faith. I am not going to give up part of our faith. Where is the courtesy towards other religions.
    Yes it is just common decency.

I'm not sure who your last sentence is aimed at but how do you know I'm not courteous to other religions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Yes it is just common decency.

I'm not sure who your last sentence is aimed at but how do you know I'm not courteous to other religions?
    You aren't being now.

You are saying give up a core belief of your faith and do and believe what I say.

Sorry big red v but right now I steam coming out by ears so bad.

I can't put it into words.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You aren't being now.

You are saying give up a core belief of your faith and do and believe what I say.

Sorry big red v but right now I steam coming out by ears so bad.

I can't put it into words.
    Hold up, BRV has practically said the same as you.
    She's not telling people that they have to believe the same things as her, just that it would be courteous to teach your children (a general your, not you directly) to just say that they don't *believe* or that this is their *belief*, rather than going around telling other children that their beliefs are lies and simply not true.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    The fact is, if you don't believe in Santa, that's fine, just tell your child we don't believe, not that Santa is not real and that their parents are lying. That is unnecessary.
    Oh yes, this. But I find (and those that are anti Santa please don't beat me we sticks lol) it becomes a moral high ground thing with some of these sorts of people. It often becomes a deliberate attempt to force their values on others.

Be devoutly religious, don't believe in anything, 'do' santa with your kids, don't 'do' him, I could care less. But please don't indoctrinate your kids. You consider it a lie. I consider it a white lie, the least important in a whole ream of white and big lies we will tell our kids during their lives. Tell your child you don't do or like santa, then they will say the same. Kids are parrots, so clearly this child is mimicking what is said at home.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (04-02-2016),just her chameleon  (04-02-2016),Shells85  (04-02-2016),VicPark  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    The fact is, if you don't believe in Santa, that's fine, just tell your child we don't believe, not that Santa is not real and that their parents are lying. That is unnecessary.

No he isn't real but we know there are kids that do believe in him so have a bit of common decency and just tell your kids we don't believe..

Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    Hold up, BRV has practically said the same as you.
    She's not telling people that they have to believe the same things as her, just that it would be courteous to teach your children (a general your, not you directly) to just say that they don't *believe* or that this is their *belief*, rather than going around telling other children that their beliefs are lies and simply not true.
    No twice now BRV has said that
    TELL YOUR KIDS WE DON'T BELIEVE.

Now as I have stated it a important part of our faith that Santa isn't real. Not only our faith but millions of people around the world in many different religions don't believe Santa is real.

Being made out that you are rude to tell YOUR kids the truth.

It Is being discourteous to other religions to tell them what the have to tell their kids.

What makes Santa different from any other leader or god of any other religion.

Now as I said we have told our kids to say we don't believe to be tolerant of those that do. All I ask is that Adults how should know better have the same level of tolerance.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Oh yes, this. But I find (and those that are anti Santa please don't beat me we sticks lol) it becomes a moral high ground thing with some of these sorts of people. It often becomes a deliberate attempt to force their values on others.

Be devoutly religious, don't believe in anything, 'do' santa with your kids, don't 'do' him, I could care less. But please don't indoctrinate your kids. You consider it a lie. I consider it a white lie, the least important in a whole ream of white and big lies we will tell our kids during their lives. Tell your child you don't do or like santa, then they will say the same. Kids are parrots, so clearly this child is mimicking what is said at home.
    Stop telling me what I can tell my child about our beliefs. I am not telling you to tell your kids anything.

Seriously my faith is important to me. Just as Santa is to you.

Actually it the other way round in my experience. Having shop assistance yell and tell off your child because they don't believe. Yes we have had that.
    Having every second person ask about what they are getting or better behave or Santa won't come. It's bombardment after bombardment.

Think of me what you want I don't give a flying fig. But don't try and get a child in trouble for speaking the truth. And yes that is what the op is was about it should I tell the teacher.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No twice now BRV has said that
    TELL YOUR KIDS WE DON'T BELIEVE.

Now as I have stated it a important part of our faith that Santa isn't real. Not only our faith but millions of people around the world in many different religions don't believe Santa is real.

Being made out that you are rude to tell YOUR kids the truth.

It Is being discourteous to other religions to tell them what the have to tell their kids.

What makes Santa different from any other leader or god of any other religion.

Now as I said we have told our kids to say we don't believe to be tolerant of those that do. All I ask is that Adults how should know better have the same level of tolerance.
    Yeah, sorry... I still don't see how BRV has said you need to change your beliefs, just that adjusting your wording or explaining to your children how to respond if the topic arises.

Is there anything so wrong with wording your beliefs/non beliefs in a way that is respectful to everyone? Changing "it's a lie/not true" to "I don't believe" isn't going to do any harm.
    I'm a strong atheist (we do celebrate parts of Christmas and play along with Santa though), but I'm cautious of how I talk to my 4 year old, because I'm aware of what she will repeat and I think it would be disrespectful for her to shut other families' beliefs down, based on my own.

And your last paragraph is exactly what BRV has been saying.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (04-02-2016),just her chameleon  (04-02-2016),Lincolns mummy  (04-02-2016),Shells85  (04-02-2016)