+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Shells85 View Post
    Thank you! This is my point! I don't tell me daughter to say those things because it's the wrong thing to do!
    I wish this girls parents thought the same way though
    maybe they did but the child couldn't keep her mouth shut?

you can't blame the parents as you don't know the exact circumstances of how the convo came about.

I don't think the parents have indoctrinated their kid to go to school and specifically target Santa believers by telling them their entire belief system is based on parental lies. it's probably what is bandied about at home and the child has come to school and blindly started repeating it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shells85 View Post
    Thank you! This is my point! I don't tell me daughter to say those things because it's the wrong thing to do!
    I wish this girls parents thought the same way though
    How do you know they haven't? Kids say all kinds of these when out of earshot of their parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    If your DD does stop believing, you can still have the 'magical' Christmas. When my DS1 stopped believing, I told him that Christmas is still magical, that yes I was behind it all, but that I managed to create to such a magical day every year, to have such excited kids, such joy, such lovely happy moments. I told him that even though he knows about Santa, that Christmas is still very very special and magical for him, because now HE will help me to make that 'magic'! He is now in on the act, he can help me choose presents for the younger ones, he can help them get excited about Santa, he can help them write their letters to Santa, and then he gets to see their excited little faces on Christmas morning AND he still gets presents! It made him feel very special.
    That is beautiful.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

CMF  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'd be annoyed. Ok, it is the truth, but you could argue there are a lot of truths we should keep to ourselves!

I wonder what the reaction would be if your DD told her Brethren friend that God was in fact a made up story for ancient people to explain science.... which we now have. I suspect her mother would be furious.
    Just thought I would add to this.

As Christian family this happens all the time. It happens from kids. From adults, from the media. It a constant in any faith. That's just how life is.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    How do you know they haven't? Kids say all kinds of these when out of earshot of their parents.
    I know because as far as my daughter is concerned, God does exist. She goes to scripture & right now she is under the belief that God is real.
    AGAIN like I said before, just because I don't believe in it doesn't mean I've told my children not to believe it. I answer their questions & anything they have related to it. And if I don't know the answer my husband who was born Catholic answers their questions. My kids don't even know that I'm an athiest. So why would they go to school saying that? They know better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The fact is, if you don't believe in Santa, that's fine, just tell your child we don't believe, not that Santa is not real and that their parents are lying. That is unnecessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I can tell you now, my children have no clue as to what I believe.
    My daughter asked how the world was made. I said some people believe this and other people believe this. What do you think? And she gave her answer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    You may not know what they've told her though. DD1 knows not to tell other kids she thinks God is made up but occasionally it still comes out. She always tells me later at home and we talk about how she can't tell other kids their beliefs are wrong. She's now found ways to be more diplomatic.
    Definitely. Kids are kids. Kids will tell other kids all sorts of stories both true and untrue. It's how you react that will make the difference.

My kids tend say we don't believe in Santa rather than he not real.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The fact is, if you don't believe in Santa, that's fine, just tell your child we don't believe, not that Santa is not real and that their parents are lying. That is unnecessary.
    I am going half disagree with you.

It is fine for parent to tell their kids he is not real. He isn't real. Sorry that the truth plain and simple.
    You can't force your beliefs on other families.

I don't think it is anyone's place to tell kids their parents are lying to them. That just way out of line.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (04-02-2016),cheeeeesecake  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default WWYD? 7 year old daughter being told "Santa isn't real"

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    I am going half disagree with you.

It is fine for parent to tell their kids he is not real. He isn't real. Sorry that the truth plain and simple.
    You can't force your beliefs on other families.

I don't think it is anyone's place to tell kids their parents are lying to them. That just way out of line.
    No he isn't real but we know there are kids that do believe in him so have a bit of common decency and just tell your kids we don't believe.
    You even said you tell your kids you don't believe, not that he's not real so I don't see what the problem is.