+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    A white lie would be telling the kids the story that the icecream truck has run out of icecream if it plays music. Probably fine and not harmful at all &the kids will laugh about it when theyre older -just not something I personally would choose to say.
    As soon as I hear the music I shout out "no! Don't even ask" lol no point lying about that I think. But I see no harm in doing it if it means saving a meltdown

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    What do you define as a white lie?
    A white lie would be telling the kids the story that the icecream truck has run out of icecream if it plays music. Probably fine and not harmful at all &the kids will laugh about it when theyre older -just not something I personally would choose to say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default WWYD? 7 year old daughter being told "Santa isn't real"

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Why is that so hard to believe? Is lying so commonplace that the idea of being honest with your kids is so ridiculous? Wow.
    I lied to my kids today. I am a terrible mother, clearly.

They asked for something from canteen and I told them I didn't have enough money on me. Which was a lie.

I'm not talking about big lies, but children asking for a $2 ride in the shops. No money, sorry. To say you've never lied to your children, not even a small lie or lying by omission. Sorry, I don't believe it.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 05-02-2016 at 13:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

They asked for something from canteen and I told them I didn't have enough money on me. Which was a lie.

I'm not talking about big lies, but children asking for a $2 ride in the shops. No money, sorry. To say you've never lied to your children, not even a small lie or lying by omission. Sorry, I don't believe it.
    I never said people who lie are terrible mothers Just that I choose not too. A while ago my DD nagged me for a supermarket $2 ride, & it ended with a big conversation about how it is my job to make sure we spend our money on the things we need to for our family. Would have been much easier to say I didnt have any money!

Anyway, I have to get my DD from school,so am out now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicHobgoblin View Post
    I don't lie to my kids about important things. Santa isn't important it's a bit of magic in a kids life
    I think this right here may be the pivotal point of difference. I can't speak for anyone else who is religious, only for myself. As a Muslim the birth of Jesus is significant and important. We don't celebrate Christmas however when I discuss Christmas with my children when they are older it will lead to a discussion about the miraculous birth of Jesus and what an important spiritual figure he is for us.

I have a fundamental problem including the myth of Santa into something that is deeply religious.

I guess at its core to some Santa is a white lie, a bit of magic, and to others it's bordering on blasphemous. I stress again though that although I won't partake in the myth of Santa I will tell my children that they are not to ruin it for other children and will teach them to be respectful to all.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (05-02-2016),cheeeeesecake  (05-02-2016),jb23  (05-02-2016),VicPark  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

Just because people are different from you doesn't make them liars. Not everyone sees the world the same way, and not everyone will make the same choices. Obviously. Its not hard to believe that some people don't lie to their kids. Doesn't make them better parents, just different.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be annoyed but I know I can't stop it. I'm sure DS who is 9 knows Santa isn't real, enough of his friends at school say things. I've told him to talk to myself or DH but keep his thoughts away from his sister and other kids as we all have different belief systems and none are right or wrong but if you're not sure ask an adult not a kid.

Do I lie to my kids hell yes. I'm not having some long winded conversation about why they can't buy a toy or have a ride. I said no, they challenge again I still say no, ask again and I've got no money. I will get flamed for this but there is far too much reasoning and explaining to kids over parents choices, I'm the parent I've made the choice now accept the decision. It's just a convoluted way in my opinion of allowing kids to talk back and question things that they just have to accept.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (05-02-2016),SheWarrior  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    I just wanted add something especially to new to school parents.

Sometimes kids saying things like Santa/god/the spaghetti monster isn't real.
    It might not be them being a *******. They could have a invisible disability like aspergers. They struggle understand social interactions and often really don't understand why it's wrong to come out with these sort things.

Just a heads up.
    Especially when it's there truth.! It must be hard for kids to understand why they can't come out with the truth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @VicPark... Lady, empty your Inbox!

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I'd be annoyed but I know I can't stop it. I'm sure DS who is 9 knows Santa isn't real, enough of his friends at school say things. I've told him to talk to myself or DH but keep his thoughts away from his sister and other kids as we all have different belief systems and none are right or wrong but if you're not sure ask an adult not a kid.

Do I lie to my kids hell yes. I'm not having some long winded conversation about why they can't buy a toy or have a ride. I said no, they challenge again I still say no, ask again and I've got no money. I will get flamed for this but there is far too much reasoning and explaining to kids over parents choices, I'm the parent I've made the choice now accept the decision. It's just a convoluted way in my opinion of allowing kids to talk back and question things that they just have to accept.
    I agree that we shouldnt always have to explain things to kids. And talking back is unacceptable. But in the situation that I dont want to explain something,I dont just lie about it instead. I just say something like 'I am thr parent and my decision is no.' I do encourage questioning to an extent. Personally I feel it is important to question what we believe and why, & I encourage that kind of thinking in my children. But it is something that I am particularly sensitive to, because I am a christian, people often think that means I blindly accept, which isnt the case at all. I dont want my kids to grow up believing in god just because 'mum said so'.