+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default WWYD? 7 year old daughter being told "Santa isn't real"

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    As a teacher myself, I know that children with ASD often DO see the world differently, & speak & understand things with black and white logic. So whilst I can tell my child 'I dont believe in santa/ santa is pretend', a child with ASD can retell that as 'santa isnt real & you are lying'. A parent of a child with ASD should still be able to teach them their beliefs in their own way.

I think the pressure parenta put on society as a whole to maintain the 'santa lie' is ridiculous. I think it was last year that Kitty Flanagan on the project let it slip about santa in a joke. The uproar was huge, & there was a big apology & cover up story about the whole thing. It was like a massive scandal. I think it's going a little bit too far. We shouldnt live in fear that someone in our child's life my possibly 'let it slip' that santa isnt real. Relax,respect that everyone believes something different, & teach your kids about different beliefs. That its ok to believe different things.
    I do teach my kids about different beliefs but they are exposed to it anyway as our area is very multicultural. my children go to the local public school with 42 different nationalities. So they are exposed to many other cultures and they (my children) are in fact in the minority. Not that they see that. And I love it.

What is interesting about this thread is that Santa isn't real so I have every right to tell my children and too bad if it ruins your child's Christmas, but how dare anyone insult my religion/beliefs

ETA - not that I think anyone has insulted anyone else's religion here.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 05-02-2016 at 12:01.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    But the 'santa lie' is really a type of belief system. I'm a bit surprised by this thread. TBH I'm more surprised by the double standards than the actual 'santa isn't real' thing. The latter being blurted out to my 5 year old would annoy me. But my main debate in this thread is how people want to pick and choose what belief/ideology/life choice is suitable to have tolerance over. Based of course on opinion.

As for the santa lie. Come on mums. Raise your hand if you have at least one child over 5 that you have never ever told a white lie to. People are going on like they are being forced to have their kids refute the existence of dinosaurs or something

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicHobgoblin View Post
    I would rather belive in a fat jolly guy who brings presents and makes children happy then a god who likes killing people.
    I hope your kids don't say something like that to a kid who believes in God!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont know if youre referring to me, but I personally have stated in this thread that I (as a christian) are totally 100% happy for people to say to my kids that they dont believe in god/ they think god isnt real. It happens alreafy all the time. I teach my kids that we all believe different things & that is ok. I tell them that we dont believe santa is real, but other kids do, so we dont spoil their 'game' for them. How is that not mutually respectful? I'm sorry,but I really fail to see the double standard. Please tell me, what do you think I should be telling my child differently in order for it not to be a double standard? I respect their belief in santa. I ask that others respect that I believe in god. ....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    What is interesting about this thread is that Santa isn't real so I have every right to tell my children and too bad if it ruins your child's Christmas, but how dare anyone insult my religion/beliefs
    I don't think anyone in this thread who has identified as religious has said anything like that.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (05-02-2016),LoveLivesHere  (05-02-2016),VicPark  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I do teach my kids about different beliefs but they are exposed to it anyway as our area is very multicultural. my children go to the local public school with 42 different nationalities. So they are exposed to many other cultures and they (my children) are in fact in the minority. Not that they see that. And I love it.

ETA - not that I think anyone has insulted anyone else's religion here.
    Nobody has said how dare you insult my religion.
    In fact I and others have said people insulting our faith is common and like water of a ducks back.
    Only to be called a liar. That they believe I am insulted. Funny enough at the time my dd1 who does challenge our faith and say they exact words the poster had said was sitting beside me. She thought it was funny that my own daughters says those things and I still live her so why would I be outraged by a stranger saying them.

What I have said is teaching MY child Our faith is not rude.

BTW I am not anti santa. We just see him differently. We see him as a tradition and a great teaching tool.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 05-02-2016 at 12:39.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (05-02-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But the 'santa lie' is really a type of belief system. I'm a bit surprised by this thread. TBH I'm more surprised by the double standards than the actual 'santa isn't real' thing. The latter being blurted out to my 5 year old would annoy me. But my main debate in this thread is how people want to pick and choose what belief/ideology/life choice is suitable to have tolerance over. Based of course on opinion.

As for the santa lie. Come on mums. Raise your hand if you have at least one child over 5 that you have never ever told a white lie to. People are going on like they are being forced to have their kids refute the existence of dinosaurs or something
    I personally choose not to lie to my child. I totally respect that everyonr parents differently, & some parents do, & that is totally fine & their choice. But my choice is to be honest with my child. Its a big deal for me, & something that is really important to me. Again,everyone is different. But its ok for me to be honest wih my kids about santa. I just tell them not to spoil the game for other kids.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    But its ok for me to be honest wih my kids about santa. I just tell them not to spoil the game for other kids.
    Of course No one has said everyone has to do Santa. Your last sentence is all I expect. So basically this response is perfect.

I am perplexed though with so much emphasis being placed on the lie aspect. Have you never white lied to your child? Responded no, when your child has accurately guessed their xmas present? Said a medical procedure won't hurt much when you know it will?
    Last edited by delirium; 05-02-2016 at 12:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I hope your kids don't say something like that to a kid who believes in God!
    No I haven't discussed that bit with my kids. One day though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Of course No one has said everyone has to do Santa. Your last sentence is all I expect. So basically this response is perfect.

I am perplexed though with so much emphasis being placed on the lie aspect. Have you never white lied to your child? Responded no, when your child has accurately guessed their xmas present? Said a medical procedure won't hurt much when you know it will?
    Not that I can ever think of. My intention is to be 100% honest wih my kids. It really is a big thing to me. So for example, if they asked me about s@x or where babies come from, &I think they are too young for the gory details,I wouldnt say 'the stork brings the baby'. I have saod 'a seed from the daddy and an egg from the mummy join together in mummys tummy to make a baby'. If they asked for too much detail, I would say I will tell them more information when they are older. When my DD saw a glass of coke, & asked what it was, her nanna said 'that tastes yukky. You wont like it'. I personally chose instead to say 'it's really a drink for grownups. Young children shouldnt have coke because its not very healthy'. I think if you tell a child a medical procedure wont hurt, & it DOES hurt, how will they react next time they have to go to the doctor? How will they trust that it wont hurt again? I told DD that her 4yo needles would hurt just a little bit, kind of like a pinch. But it doesnt last long, & it is to hwlp your body stay healthy and well. Everyone parents differently, but this is something that is personally very important to me.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-02-2016)