+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default WWYD? 7 year old daughter being told "Santa isn't real"

Hi everyone,

So, let me start by saying my daughter is 7 & in Year 2. She came home from school today & mentioned that she had played with a new friend who is in her class this year. Then she said "did you & dad buy all our Christmas presents that were under the tree? because ....... Said that Santa is no real & it's a fairytale. I know for a fact that her new friend is from a family that have a brethren upbringing.
    Now, I understand that yes she is 7 & she will come to the realisation that Santa is not real but to me she is still young enough to be excited by the prospect of Santa coming to deliver presents. My main concern is I have 2 younger sons aged 5 & 2 & I don't want the whole Santa magic to be ruined so early.
    My husband & I have discussed it & he thinks i/we should mention it to the teacher, maybe she could have a word with the child or mother?! But I really don't want to feel like a whinging mother blowing something minor out or proportion?
    I understand that there are many religions & beliefs etc but it upsets me that these parents haven't taught their own children that just because they don't believe in Christmas & don't celebrate it doesn't mean that they have go & ruin it for all the other children that do.
    Am I being petty? What would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would bring it up with the teacher so the parents could be notified.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We dont celebrate xmas and therefore our dd knows Santa isnt real, but i make it very clear to her that we must respect other peoples beliefs and she shouldnt say santa isnt real etc to other kids. This childs parents may have done the same but kids are kids, they just dont think sometimes.

Some parents who celebrate xmas never really the santa thing either so its not just religious folk.

Id just tell your children that some people dont believe but you believe something different.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (04-02-2016),misskittyfantastico  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've not faced this personally before, but I have heard of people explaining something similar to this...

Not everyone believes in Santa - to explain different upbringings/religions. You could possibly use other analogies at this time as well, i.e. God, heaven etc

Explain to your DD that Santa is real to anyone who believes in Santa. Once you don't believe in Santa anymore, then Santa will stop visiting. Then it's up to your DD to decide if she wants to believe in Santa or not. Plus you can explain that your 2 youngest still believe in Santa, so as long as they believe then Santa will still visit them.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-02-2016),babyno1onboard  (07-02-2016),Californication  (04-02-2016),LaDiDah  (07-02-2016),Leettieb  (03-02-2016),misskittyfantastico  (03-02-2016),Mod-Degrassi  (04-02-2016),Shells85  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Id just tell your children that some people dont believe but you believe something different.
    This. The other little girl probably believes in a few different things to your DD. Perhaps start a discussion on all types of beliefs. If she really has given up Santa, just let her know that she needs to keep believing for the younger kids.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-02-2016),misskittyfantastico  (03-02-2016),SoThisIsLove  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I've not faced this personally before, but I have heard of people explaining something similar to this...

Not everyone believes in Santa - to explain different upbringings/religions. You could possibly use other analogies at this time as well, i.e. God, heaven etc

Explain to your DD that Santa is real to anyone who believes in Santa. Once you don't believe in Santa anymore, then Santa will stop visiting. Then it's up to your DD to decide if she wants to believe in Santa or not. Plus you can explain that your 2 youngest still believe in Santa, so as long as they believe then Santa will still visit them.
    This is exactly what we did! She is choosing to still believe. I just hope that today was the last conversation on this topic that they have 😕

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    I would bring it up with the teacher so the parents could be notified.
    With respect, I really don't think it's the teacher's responsibility to be dealing with this. I think we ask teachers to handle way too many issues that they shouldn't have to.
    And yes, I'm a Emergency Teacher and s parent, so I see it from both sides.

11. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-02-2016),babyno1onboard  (07-02-2016),BettyW  (04-02-2016),Curby  (04-02-2016),delirium  (04-02-2016),LoveLivesHere  (04-02-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (03-02-2016),MissMuppet  (04-02-2016),Renn  (04-02-2016),Sally1981  (07-02-2016),SoThisIsLove  (03-02-2016),Stretched  (04-02-2016),teenie  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    This. The other little girl probably believes in a few different things to your DD. Perhaps start a discussion on all types of beliefs. If she really has given up Santa, just let her know that she needs to keep believing for the younger kids.
    Thanks for your advice. We have always told our children that there are lots of different people in this world who believe in all sorts of different things & that doesn't make anyone better then anyone or mean someone is right or wrong so she understands that.. It was just a bit disappointing to hear her ask.. It wasn't a question I was expecting for a couple more years that's all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default WWYD? 7 year old daughter being told "Santa isn't real"

My daughter's school is at least 60% Muslim students and so they obviously don't believe in Santa. Nobody has actually said to her that Santa isn't real but she asked me one day why Santa doesn't go to everyone's house and I said that not everyone believes in Santa and that Santa only comes to you if you believe in him.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (04-02-2016),Shells85  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by siansmum View Post
    With respect, I really don't think it's the teacher's responsibility to be dealing with this. I think we ask teachers to handle way too many issues that they shouldn't have to.
    And yes, I'm a Emergency Teacher and s parent, so I see it from both sides.
    I agree. My kids have been told by other kids at school that Santa doesn't exist. I just tell them if they want to believe then that's ok.

I really wouldn't bother saying anything to the teacher about it.