+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tutoring aka Coaching - what are your thoughts?

This is a topic that has been coming up quite a lol amongst my family/friends/colleagues.
    It seems like lots of parents are sending their primary school age kids to tutoring aka coaching. I know about some cases where kids start as young as kindergarten. Because it's getting so common now, some parents are feeling the pressure to send their kids so they don't fall behind or are "disadvantaged" because everyone else around them are sending their kids.
    From what i have heard this coaching is usually a classroom full of kids and they are taught subjects beyond their current school curriculum so they can "be ahead".
    Other reasons parents send their kids is in hopes they will perform well in the test for OC class (opportunity class in public school) or selective school tests.
    Tutoring can be up to 3 h on the weekend and then there is also additional homework given.

Anyway not after advice, just wondering what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not keen because I feel it can burn kids out.

I'm all for tutoring if a child needs it to keep up with the rest of the class. To help them get ahead - a big no from me. Kids need time to play and just chill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD goes to tutoring for 1 hour with a school teacher who is on maternity leave.

DD goes as she was having trouble with maths and english, even if she gets up to speed I will keep her in tutoring for the rest of year 6 at least.

In the current curriculum there is not enough time (in my view) for reinforcement and revision.

I don't have a problem with what other people do in terms of their child's education. If the child is happy to go to tutoring/coaching then it is no big deal. If the child in unhappy about going then it should be addressed.

Why do you think it is a problem?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Ridiculous imo.

I think the competitiveness of it all is wrong. I'm so grateful that my daughter's school and the mums I've met are not competitive at all.

But I have friends whose kids go to catholic school and have heard similar in regards to tutoring, as if it's some fad. Well, no thanks. One friend of mine was telling me that there were mums who sent their kids to public school for kindy the year their child turned 5 and then to catholic school into kindy the next year so they could be ahead of everyone, then doing tutoring as well. The mind boggles. These kids will burn out. It's sad.

When my daughter started school, I just wanted her to be happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    My DD goes to tutoring for 1 hour with a school teacher who is on maternity leave.

DD goes as she was having trouble with maths and english, even if she gets up to speed I will keep her in tutoring for the rest of year 6 at least.

In the current curriculum there is not enough time (in my view) for reinforcement and revision.

I don't have a problem with what other people do in terms of their child's education. If the child is happy to go to tutoring/coaching then it is no big deal. If the child in unhappy about going then it should be addressed.

Why do you think it is a problem?
    The op isn't talking about kids who are behind, she's talking about parents putting their kids in so they can be ahead. They're not even behind in the first place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I'm not keen because I feel it can burn kids out.

I'm all for tutoring if a child needs it to keep up with the rest of the class. To help them get ahead - a big no from me. Kids need time to play and just chill.
    Exactly this.

Perhaps maybe if your child is gifted and isn't being challenged enough at school they may benefit from the extra / extended learning, but if a parent is doing it as they want their child to be 'better' than all the other kids and to be competitive then that's highly unfair on the child, especially if the child is over worked or too tired to do the extra work.

Isn't there a term for those parents? Tiger parents or something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no intention on sending my kids until high school when it's close to HSC if they want the extra help.
    A family member believes I will change my mind once my kids start falling behind all the other kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Sounds like my version of he'll. Let kids be kids for heaven sake. Never been a believer in hot housing kids.

Now saying that my kids that are behind do get tutoring on the work they are doing in class. It one on one or one on 8 at most. Very personal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    However if parents want to send their kids to selective school where they have to sit a test then I can understand why coaching would be helpful.
    It's also really hard for a lot of parents to help their own kids with homework bc we (general we) tend to have less patience with their own children and children sometimes learn better with a non parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have soo many clients who do this - their kids start tutoring/practicing for the selective school exam that they sit in year 6 from 3rd class - 3 years before the actual exam 😱 - even in school holidays - for me I think if your child is naturally ready for a selective school then fine but there is so much pressure on these kids to do well it worries me when they don't

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (04-02-2016),VicPark  (03-02-2016)