+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pram Recommendations for rural area

Hi,

I am a first time mum and just starting to look at prams suitable to where I live. We are on 50 acres, with gravel/ unsealed roads. I have gone to a few baby shops and asked for their recommendations and have come up with a short list of the following prams and my concerns:
    • bugaboo buffalo (expensive and quite bulky)
    • jane epic (tiny storage basket)
    • baby jogger city elite (doesn't rear face/ not suitable for newborn?)
    • icandy apply 2 pear (doesn't have foot rest for older child)

Can anyone please give advise as to their experiences with any of these prams- pros and cons, would you buy again etc. Or any other prams you have used on difficult terrain that would recommend.

I have searched other forum threads, but most are a little old and not really relevant.

Thankyou so much for your help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are out in the country and my pram (Strider Compact) has never skipped a beat on the rough stuff out here. It's looking pretty rough these days but had a lot of kms put on it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Baby jogger city elite is suitable for newborns as it lays nearly flat. Mine is a 2010 model and still going strong

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi, I am in a very similar situation. I looked at the donkey too but found it really heavy and bulky. I ended up buying a stokke skoot. It has all terrain tyres, a huge storage basket, it flips around easily and is really light. It doesn't come with a bassinet option but I figured that's probably only really useful for a few months anyway. It was $1000 and I got a 10% discount. I'm due in a few weeks so haven't tried it out with a real baby but it is really easy to push around the house

Edit to add that you can buy a newborn insert which looks lovely and snugly. I'm having a summer baby so it wasn't going to work for me. Instead I bought a pram sheepskin liner for some extra padding
    Last edited by A&S; 03-02-2016 at 16:21.

Thanks
    Reviews

Have you had a look at a Mountain Buggy? Their Terrain might be a good option.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have a baby jogger city mini gt.
    It's a 3 wheeler and you need a bassinet attachment for rear facing.
    We've loved it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What are you planning on using it for? Have you looked for a second hand mountain buggy etc that could be your home pram that you don't care if it gets battered about and then have a nicer pram that lives in the car for out and about? That's what we do, I picked up an old double mountain buggy for our property, going to neighbours etc for $80 then have a stokke xplorry for taking out with us. Our home pram gets covered in mud/dust so I'm glad I got a cheap thing

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in an area with gravel roads and no footpaths. I have loved my Phil and Teds explorer, lots of different options, baby can lay flat in bassinet or you can attach the car capsule. Nice big seat for when they are older. Option of second seat which I have just purchased after having DS. Ours is starting to look pretty banged up after nearly 3 years but we have used it a lot - we walk daily in just about any weather. Structurally it is still doing fine. It also folds up nice and small which was important as I've got Mitsubishi lancer.
    Anyway, just my opinion!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We bought a second hand phil & teds 3 wheeler on gumtree for about $50 to bash about on the farm with - it has nice big wheels that go over the bumps/grass/cow sh&$t etc. It stays at the farm. It's pretty old but nobody sees it!
    We have a BJ city mini GT for everywhere else. It lays flat for newborn or you can attach a capsule if you buy the adaptor kit. It's great for walking, very happy with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a baby jogger gt (but a double for twins). Have used it to death on our 80 acres and it's still great. I liked that it has great tyres and they are filled with foam or something so they can't get a flat tyre but are good for offroad...ha! When mine were newborns i laid seats flat and bought two cocoons to put inside (cocoons only $50). They clip in and were cosy and safe.