+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Shoes at childcare?

Following on from my nail polishing thread does your child care make kids wear shoes? This new childcare doesn't make them wear them at all which might not worry me but there is a deadly disease in the soil up here that can kill you so you need to be careful when outside in the garden or with soil , always use gloves , wear shoes etc. My friends DS got it and will most likely never walk again unaided. I'm surprised that they have such a lax policy but I'm also not used to big childcare centres. What is normal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking the same thing today I am having battles with my 4 year about wearing thongs to kindy as he runs around trips and rips up his knees and I am afraid of him breaking something next. I made him wear proper sandals which stay on and are good for running around but he gets to kindy and everyone is wearing thongs so I can't win as he feels left out! I wish they would make a no thong rule and I agree with you there should be a shoes on outside policy as I am sure they don't check the grounds properly for hazards etc but there doesn't seem like any policy at my kindy or standard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    2 of my kids go to preschool and they are reasonably strict about shoes as there are a lot of snakes around. Inside they can be shoe free but outside is for shoes unless they are doing activities (feet painting etc) where they are pretty diligently watched anyway.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Our centre lets them run around barefoot. I much prefer it that way. Little feet should be out of shoes as much as possible- it's the very best way to help them grow and learn motor skills like climbing and balancing, and the sensory experience is massive. There are many studies now showing the benefits/importance of being barefoot, especially in a natural environment.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (03-02-2016),Cazza1981  (03-02-2016),Gentoo  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd wears little leg braces. And I send her to daycare in them. ..but it's not uncommon for me to get there at the end of the day to find her running around in bare feet. I'm fine with that as long as she's had them on majority of the day. At home she runs around a bit with bare feet so I don't see too much difference. If you'd prefer he wears shoes tell them and they should comply.
    As @FearlessLeader said it's good to have no shoes on sometimes.
    If there is a risk of bacteria in the soil wouldn't the daycare get the soil tested and checked anyway?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't bother even packing shoes. They encourage barefoot play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends. My centre totally remade the playgrounds. The playgrounds are 'shoes off'. BUT my childcare is inner city and they have astro turf and other flooring etc. If it is an outdoor area that has grass/soil that is exposed, maybe a different story. In saying that kids always play in the dirt/soil and eat it etc so not sure if shoes on will help.

If you are concerned, they should have tested/be testing the soil. I would assume they have replaced or covered anything with new top soil etc that will not be affected.

ETA. I am fine with no shoes. I did jot put them on this morning and only do if he needs to walk to the train from childcare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    If there is a risk of bacteria in the soil wouldn't the daycare get the soil tested and checked anyway?
    You can't, it lives deep in the soil and during the wet season it comes to the surface. Its also airborne. I don't would think anywhere up here would declare themselves 100% meliod free. In don't know heaps about it only that we should all wear shoes in the wet season!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At my pre school we tell the parents that joggers are best but many girls come in sandals. Sandals are not for climbing or running etc. we let our kids have bare feet outside and in. It's better that way and like another said better for little feet to be free than in shoes that are not the right fit and support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I send them in crocs. Easy to wash off any accidents