+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Composite Classes

DS began Year 2 this year but has been assigned a class for year 2/1.

Just doing a bit of reading up on it over the net but a lot of info is out of date.

What's your experience of it?

I'm sure the parents of the Yr 1 students aren't worried, they're kids are smart enough to be bumped up but I'm a bit worried that my son isn't up to scratch.

We called the school and are just waiting for them to return our call but generally, how do these things work?

Is it the lower achievers of Yr 2 bumped in together with the higher yr 1 achievers?
    Or is it the independent kids from Yr 2, the ones who can work on their own (DS) who the Yr 1s are put in with?

There is also an issue of job sharing for this class.
    Another hiccup!
    If he IS in the lower achieving end of yr 2 then this is not going to help him at all.
    He suffered when his Kindy teacher was absent a lot in his first yr but he really pulled his socks up last yr and has come a long, long way.

How would you feel if this was your child's yr 2 plan?
    What I'm reading is contradictory and maybe that's it, maybe in each school it's different.
    We just need to know what it means for him.

Can anyone shed some light.
    Totally in the dark on this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You really need to talk to the school. If they've formed this class i 'guess' it's lower grade twos and high grade ones. They would've have carefully placed the students in this class with slot of thought behind it.It could be a good thing for him to consolidate things he didn't grasp from last year. You might notice his confidence really grows as he works with the year 1s like a mentor of sorts.So grouping him in with year ones could be a good thing if he's struggled. I'd talk to the school about how the day works, groupings - yr1&yr2 doing maths groups would be great if that's how the teacher is structuring it. Honestly, an average class has that range in it as well sometimes 2 grades up and back. Just go an talk to them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinachris For This Useful Post:

Phony  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Myvexperienceis that at a school that does it all the time it works at a school that doesn't and onlyvdoes due to numbers etc it doesn't work. My 2 just changed school into a 1/2 class and a 2/3 class. This school has always done this. Their old school didn't and whenever they have tried it has not worked very well. Does this school always do it?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Phony  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The composite classes still have to reach their academic standards for their grade levels.
    My DS was in a 1/2 composite while in year 2 and all the work he did was at a grade 2 level.

Talk to the teacher about your concerns.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

Phony  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Still waiting to hear back from the school but it seems there's approx 10 yr ones and 14 yr twos in the class.
    It's a regular thing at this school, I just didn't know about it until yesterday so I have no idea why he would have been chosen.
    Fingers crossed he's not way behind.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Tinachris  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At my children's primary school they teach in stages (so 1/2 is 1 stage) according to the curriculum, and job sharing is brilliant imo. You have teachers who are enthusiastic all week, if one needs to be absent they often swap days so the kids don't get relief teachers often, and they generally both have some teaching quality to pass on to the kids.
    Honestly, I'd be so happy if I were you.
    Last edited by Full House; 03-02-2016 at 19:02.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Phony  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Composite Classes

My kids are in 'multi-age' classes (aka composite) as the whole school bar prep is. I don't like it at all, academically my son hasn't suffered I don't believe but socially he is. They also have multi teaching so the two classes are joined so 48kids and 2 teachers. Not impressed at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Composite class or not composite - all classes will have a broad range of abilities so all teachers will personalise student learning. Just say a child is in grade 2 but capable of maths at a grade 4 level then the teacher will cater for this child - whether they are in a composite really has no bearing on much at all.

Here is a NZ school which I think explains it well... Stages not ages.

http://www.leamington.school.nz/277/...posite-classes