SAHM looking to move forward, need help / advice. | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default SAHM looking to move forward, need help / advice.

hi, i'm new to this forum so please bear with me

I've been a SAHM for nearly 6 years with the one child. Now that DS is in Prep, i'm looking to head back into the workforce. With little to no experience i'm finding it difficult to be accepted into jobs saying i'm a *high risk injury candidate* due to being out of work for some time. It wasn't the one agency but several who quoted that to me.

Previously the only ever job or experience i did before DS was born was food process worker (gained certificate 3 during that time).

I've been googling such information regarding newstart allowance that help in some way to find jobs but i don't quite understand the procedure, English is not my first language. I'm not sure if i'm entitled to any payments due to DP working casual and take home approx $750 after tax.

DS was also diagnosed with level 2 ASD with high ADHD (as to why i didn't return to work force as early as i could of). At the time i didn't think to undertake any courses online cause been flat out caring for DS 100% daily.

Currently at the moment, i'm receiving payments from Centrelink: FTB A and B, Rent assistance, Carer Allowance.

I'm lost as to what to do at this stage. for work i'm interest in part time to make a little more income for family and DS medical. i'm also interest in doing courses but i just don't know how to start. Any help or advice is appreciated...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you look at some Cert 3 and lower courses, you should be able to get your first one for free through the Smart and Skilled program. I have just done this (also on carers for a child with autism). It could help with your job search down the track. I'm not really sure what other options are available. I'm sahm and probably will be for a little while so haven't really looked into getting back into the work force yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will still get the carers pension for ds even if you don't have a job, from what I gathered from my mum having that pension though she had to be really careful that she didn't go over the hours she was allowed to work or they would stop her carers pension, i think she used to work max 25 hours a week and still get her carers pensions and family tax benefits for the kids in school.. I think because English isn't your first language it might be of benefit to you to try and set an appoitment up with your local centrelink office and ask that an interpreter be present ask them to help you ask the questions you want to ask and want to know the answers to and you should have a much clearer understanding of how things will go in the future. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The OP is receiving the allowance though, not the pension. There's a big difference in the $$.

Have you had a look for people hiring privately via Gumtree? Can you offer your own services privately such as domestic help, cleaning, disability or aged care support, child minding, etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    With such little income you should be eligible for newstart...were you on parenting payment before? You need to make a claim online for newstart..try registering online . ..if you cant then you have to take 100 points of i.d into a centrelink office so you can get acces to go online. If you can't make it into an office in next few days give centrelink a call and they will register your intent to claim and you get 14 days to make claim/ hand in paperwork. It also means if your eligible then you get back paid from date of registering your intention to claim.

And yes with Carers allowance it's not income tested...doesn't matter how much u work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I get annoyed with carers because I can't get it unless I give up my disability. Centrelink is a pita sometimes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't you get the allowance whilst being on dsp?