+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cord blood banking.. Opinions..

Hi all... FTM here, 28 weeks with my first... I have the pregnancy web MD app and this week it came up with "have you considered cord blood banking?".. Now, I've heard all about stem cells when they came out all over the news and even looked a bit more into it myself but I had never heard of this..
    After giving birth they take a small amount of the umbilical cord blood and tissue and store it for future use.. They say on the baby, if any diseases develop later on and possibly on other family members if the cells are a match, which is decided by a six factor system (not blood type)... So far they have cured such things as diabetes, kidney diseases, asthma etc..
    I have had a look online and requested some info packs from a couple of companies who store the samples.. But I'd like some other opinions.. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'm wanting to donate our cord blood. I planned to last time but my daughter arrived at a time that they couldn't do a collection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Unless there is a known issue in the immediate family, I actually think it's a waste of money (as does every obstetrician I've ever worked with). It's actually quite expensive to store cord blood, and the likelihood of actually needing it is slim. If you were looking at banking the cord blood, perhaps consider donating the cord blood. It goes to a public bank that is accessible worldwide. You will have no stake or claim to it if you donate it, but could potentially save a life as well as save yourselves thousands of dollars. If you're extremely well off and you wouldn't notice the money for storage disappearing out of your bank account then by all means collect and bank your cord blood. Just be wary that these companies will try and make you feel like you have to bank your baby's cord blood in case of worst case scenarios. There's a lot of money to be made and I'm sure the percentage of people who actually access their cord blood after collecting "just in case" is actually quite small.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My concerns are more towards what it would be used for in the event I wouldn't need it.. Not over the top worried but I mean, that's the start of a whole new person, one that is already there and just needs to be put together...

Thanks
    Reviews
    As PP said the chances of needing it is so low.
    With my 3rd bub, I actually chose to let him keep his own cord blood, by doing delayed cord clamping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Due to the life saving benefits for others we will (although against our cultural beliefs) be donating again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I looked into it when pregnant with dd but decided with delayed cord clamping so she received it there and then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Delayed cord clamping? I'm sure the name is self explanatory but I've never heard of this either..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    it's when the cord is delayed by a few minutes from being cut. they basically wait for it to stop pulsating and bubs gets all the good blood and oxygen it would otherwise miss out on if the cord is cut right away.

we will be doing delayed cord clamping.

Google it, the info is fairly straightforward.

as for cord blood/tissue banking, we aren't bothering. it's a lot of money and we don't have any known issues to make it worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We will also be going with delayed cord clamping.

I looked into banking a few months ago, but it is SO expensive. We could afford it if we really wanted to, but I'd rather have that money in savings for just in case.

H did delayed cord clamping with DSD (DSS was an emergency so they couldn't), and it seems to have given her great immunity. She still gets sick, but shakes it off so fast.