+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Default School bomb threats

Since so many hubbers have been directly or indirectly affected by the school bomb threats I thought I would start a thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS was fortunate in that his was in the second round of bomb threats, so he knew it was just an empty threat as he heard all about it from last week. Otherwise I imagine it would be really frightening.

I haven't really heard anything about whether they have caught who's doing it?

Have your kids been evacuated LLH?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    My DS was fortunate in that his was in the second round of bomb threats, so he knew it was just an empty threat as he heard all about it from last week. Otherwise I imagine it would be really frightening.

I haven't really heard anything about whether they have caught who's doing it?

Have your kids been evacuated LLH?
    No not mine. Some friends that have just moved to a new school were. And heap of my Facebook friends.

I am going to talk to my school when I get home about adding a large bottle of sunscreen to their evacuation kit. The local school kids were burnt to a crisp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I understand children's safety is paramount but I worry this constant disruption, evacuation and waste of police resources is merely encouraging these hoax threats.

It must be scary to experience this. Hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I remember when I was in high school back in the 90's we'd get the occasional bomb threat at my school. They were always treated seriously, but it was always a hoax. None of us were ever scared or genuinely concerned. Different times.

I think it's very sick and cruel to make these kid of threats in this day and age of terror. Kids are more terror-aware these days.

There should be significant punishment for anyone who makes such threats, whether it's a hoax or not. I'm disgusted at the waste of police resources and the fear that's being generated because of such threats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    No not mine. Some friends that have just moved to a new school were. And heap of my Facebook friends.

I am going to talk to my school when I get home about adding a large bottle of sunscreen to their evacuation kit. The local school kids were burnt to a crisp.
    Oh good idea re. sunscreen! DS luckily doesn't burn easily, so he was fine. If it was my other kids they would have fried.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I understand children's safety is paramount but I worry this constant disruption, evacuation and waste of police resources is merely encouraging these hoax threats.

It must be scary to experience this. Hugs.
    Yeah they're probably getting off on the disruption it's causing. But they have to evacuate each and every time, just in case...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I received an e-mail from my son's school yesterday evening letting parents know that 3 primary and 2 high schools in Canberra had been evacuated after bomb threats. The article suggested they were originating online from Russia and threatening bloodshed on a scale Australia hasn't seen before. I've heard of so many in other states lately, I initially assumed it was just high school kids wanting to wag but is appears they are being made overseas with the intent to cause fear and panic. I hope the AFP are able to track down the morons behind it, my son would be terrified if he was aware there had been bomb threats at local schools.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

Tahli  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm struggling to understand the mentality behind an authentic bomb threat- who would actually plant a bomb but then tell people about it?!?

Has there every been a bomb threat that's actually proven to be legitimate?

Just thinking out loud here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Phony  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm struggling to understand the mentality behind an authentic bomb threat- who would actually plant a bomb but then tell people about it?!?

Yes, quite a lot.

The IRA did it all the time.

They WANT to create fear and confusion.

Thanks
    Reviews

According to a couple of news articles I've read in the last couple of days... besides the IRA, no, generally bombings don't get threats first.