+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Both my DS's have come home with the occasional bit of face paint, I'd be really surprised by nail polish though! My DS1 is 4 and I'll let him have jamberrys on, but probably not polish. The fumes and the mess would be enough to freak me out!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The actual nail polish wouldn't bother me but I do think it's inappropriate for the daycare to apply it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know that some daycares do this a bit for some fun.
    They should check first that parents are okay with it. I would just mention politely that you don't like it so please don't do it again.
    As an aside. .my 3 year old DD loves it. In fact in her limited vocab she will put her finger out and say 'nano' to ask me to paint them. I don't consider it growing up too fast or anything. She's just seen me do it so likes to copy. She says 'pretty' later and blows on her nails.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (03-02-2016),kim85  (03-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daycare painted 1 fingernail for allergy awareness week (to symbolise 1 in 10 kids having allergies). They sent home a permission slip 2 weeks beforehand!
    I don't think I would be cool with DD just turning up with painted nails after daycare.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

AmyRoberts  (03-02-2016),CleverClogs  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I do think it's the kind of activity that should be run by parents first. We all know our own kids best, and we should be given the choice if it's suitable for our own child.

I would have said a big no to that one if it was my DS when he was 2. He still put his fingers in his mouth a lot at that age. I also wouldn't want to use that nasty polish remover on his little nails.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't have been too impressed, but probably not so much that I would complain. I tried to hold off as long as possible before introducing all that stuff, so I guess IMO if they've already done it then that ship has sailed and there's not much point in saying anything, if that makes sense. I would just hope that they don't do it often.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Dd1 (3) likes and wears nail polish but that's my call to make, not a child care centre. A very risky and dumb move.

Do they intend in removing it too, or supplying you with remover? Actually, glitter nail polish is very hard to get off.

They really shouldn't have.
    This ^

Personally I don't mind nail polish on my 3 year old DD but that's my choice to make and if I didn't I'd expect the centre to respect that. But they didn't check with you beforehand, so I'd have a problem with that in general.
    Having worked in daycare myself, it isn't something we would do.. the day and activities are usually structured and no way would "nail polish time" be planned. It seems like it would have been a random thing to do with the kids, and while harmless fun, it doesn't seem very professional to me.
    And yes, I do put a dab on DD's nails occasionally but never use glitter polish, we did once and I noticed it flaking off and she had glitter on her face /around her eyes. Also I hate using nail polish remover around her (the fumes etc) so always apply a very thin, single layer for easy removal.
    It sucks that they've put you in a position where you now feel awkward in bringing it up /complaining- but, it's your child and you make the rules, they follow. Tell them you don't like it and that you noticed glitter in DS's eye as a result! Which is plausible and is exactly why I don't use that glitter stuff.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is not something a daycare should be doing.
    They have to get your permission for face painting FFS!

I would be bringing it to their attention, and saying that you do not feel it is appropriate for so young a child.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't agree with it. I'm a nanny and would never put anything on my charges without permission. Not saying he can't wear it, just that they should have checked. And I'm very surprised this is an activity they're organising at a day care centre.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TandR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our pre-prep (DS aged 4) got a gorgeous nail-art manicure from one of the other mums one day at child care! But the teacher had advised the parents that some children were interested in it/ the mum had offered and asked parents to 'opt out' if they didn't want their kids to participate. I think it shouldn't be a common child care activity, def not without discussing with parents and def not for 2yr olds.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PJbaby For This Useful Post: