Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @CherryCP Wow!!!Congratulations!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

CherryCP  (30-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @cherryPC if its not too personal, can i ask about why you did the pgd testing with a donor? Just because i was willing to do that but dr nikos said no need to when its a young donor and like ruth told lissimo, he said no need to spend $ on that. Just wondering if i should do it anyway. Thank you
    Last edited by gorgeousgeorge; 30-04-2016 at 14:53.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

lissimmo  (30-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and, sorry more questions, how much notice did u get from the athens clinics of dates to book flights? Dr nikos is saying we'll need to be there around 6th july. (I looking at doing embryoland clinic)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

kategc  (30-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgeousgeorge View Post
    Oh and, sorry more questions, how much notice did u get from the athens clinics of dates to book flights? Dr nikos is saying we'll need to be there around 6th july. (I looking at doing embryoland clinic)
    Hello

I think we ended up with a couple months notice, but we didn't book till closer to the time. My af decided to become random and over regular.
    We will also be in Athens around same time. 9-12th July.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgeousgeorge View Post
    @cherryPC if its not too personal, can i ask about why you did the pgd testing with a donor? Just because i was willing to do that but dr nikos said no need to when its a young donor and like ruth told lissimo, he said no need to spend $ on that. Just wondering if i should do it anyway. Thank you
    Hi GeorgeousGeorge!! I still love that name.

Anyway... no problems at all with your question. Happy to assist in any way. There were a few reasons we did PGS.

1. DH was totally freaked out about using an anonymous donor. He was worried about potential genetic issues she may have... I know the clinics are supposed to do genetic tests on the donors (at least I know Iakentro does), but that doesn't mean her eggs are all going to be 100% okay.

My FS (Wazza) explained it this way... He said, every month when we naturally cycle, several eggs are stimulated. However nature chooses only the best one. The rest (weak, defective, etc) shrink and die. However, when the donor is stimulated with drugs during ivf, ALL of the eggs are collected - both good and bad. Some will die in the lab before the 5 day transfer (or they won't develop properly - i.e. low grade)... however some will keep developing. They will look totally okay... but they aren't. It is basically like a lottery putting them in. That is why clinics transfer 2 or 3 embies. Otherwise if they were so certain they were all good - they'd only transfer one!!!

The donor may be young... but that is still no guarantee that every egg is going to be 100% okay. I don't want to upset anyone here - but did you know most Down Syndrome children nowadays are born to women UNDER 35??

2. DH had numerous sperm sample tests in Oz and they all came back okay - no problems at all. He also has 2 'normal' children from a previous relationship. I can't remember why our FS (Wazza) recommended a FISH test... It may have been due to the fact DH had a vas reversal, and they just wanted to ensure all was well. Once again, almost everything was within normal parameters... There was one measure (can't recall what it was) that was a bit lower than acceptable levels. So Ruth sent the FISH test results to Iakentro and the Doctor (Professor Prapas) recommended we err on the safe side and do PGS.

3. My aim was to do everything in my power to ensure my DE transfer in Greece worked the first time. (So far so good). I didn't want to go through the pain and torment of trying several times, and potentially blaming myself for failure. It is very costly - not just money - but time and emotions. I am getting OLD... and don't want to waste any more time. Plus it may have upset DH so much he may have not let me try again. (If you have followed my story, you'd know DH has been very apposed all along... however now he is talking about decorating the 'baby room'... go figure??).

The cost was a bit hard to swallow... an extra 2500 euros to test 7 embies. (The cost varies depending on how many embies you test). But that isn't much compared to return flights, etc.

PGS is not a 100% guarantee for a BFP - as there are many other factors to consider, e.g. transfer, hatching, lining, natural killer cells, fibroids, your health, etc, etc. But we felt PGS was at least guaranteeing us that the embryos themselves were okay.

Cost aside, if I had the choice of transferring a PGS'd embie with a clear bill of health, versus taking a chance with an unknown... I'd know which one I'd prefer. But it is a choice you need to make yourself.
    @gorgeousgeorge I have some other info on PGS that I'd like to share with you via PM. I am going to send you a PM - please confirm that you have got it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CherryCP For This Useful Post:

kategc  (30-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I'd add...

I hope I am not scaring anyone with all my talk about PGS!!! If I am doing that then I'm very sorry. That is not my intention. However if someone asks a question - then I'm happy to answer it.

If we had not done PGS, then 1/2 of our embies would have been okay and we could have saved ourselves a lot of money. We would have transferred 2 embies and we would have had a 50% chance of success. A random selection would have meant we would have transferred either 2 bad ones (BFN), 1 good/1 bad (singleton), or 2 good ones (potential twins).

Like many have said on this forum... it is a numbers game and all going well, you will get pregnant eventually. However, in my own personal situation, I was not keen to play that numbers game... or if I did, I wanted to ensure I had a good chance of winning.

Dr Nikos and Ruth are both right! If you don't PGS, you may still have success the first time!!! ...as many on this forum will attest to.

However if you have tried a few times, if you suspect some male fertility issues, or if you want more certainty (i.e. eliminate some potential factors), then PGS is something you MAY wish to consider.

Also, PGS doesn't mean the resulting baby won't have ANY genetic issues. It just means they have checked 24 chromosones and they have all come back normal. I will still be doing a Harmony test to be sure.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by CherryCP; 30-04-2016 at 18:28.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CherryCP For This Useful Post:

AngelD  (30-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,
    A question regarding the tests our DH/P's need to do … we sent off the test results that Wazza had done to Dr Nikos, which left two for DP to have bloods on - Haemoglobin electrophoresis and Cystic Fibrosis - genetic abnormality. He had the bloods done today and we were told that, despite the "Bulk Bill" box being ticked, we are still up for $310 to pay for the CF test - is this normal? We went ahead, because Dr Nikos needs it for our July cycle, and we're not about to stuff anything up on that front.
    It's surreal - less than 3 weeks ago we were hoping for a good embie to transfer, and now we're half way organised to go to Greece for a DE in July. Talk about a quick turnaround on thought processes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @AngelD! We went through QFG too. Have you checked with the girls in Dr Wazza's rooms? If they are saying you have to pay, then they would know. Perhaps the particular blood tests DP had are not covered under bulk bill? Not sure if this helps - but I did a quick check on the internet and CF carrier and CF/infertility tests are coming up as non Medicare rebate available.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CherryCP For This Useful Post:

AngelD  (30-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks CherryCP - Wazza's girls sticking together!! When I spoke to them about all the tests, I got the impression that it'd all be covered (especially after having to pay for scans and bt's here in Cairns), but like you I just did some googling, and it does seem that CF testing isn't covered. I think you only get a concession if your first child has CF, and they'll offer it at a lesser rate for subsequent pregnancies - nothing like closing the gate after the horse has bolted!

Hope you're taking it easy and those embies are well snuggled in

Thanks
    Reviews
    hello
    I asked ruth about this as you had suggested for me, she said no i dont need it? I am using a sperm donor though