Closed Thread
Page 48 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Egg Donatiion in Greece #3

Quote Originally Posted by CherryCP View Post
    Hi @SharonG!

We are the same age... so don't worry! You've still got a few years up your sleeve!! and being older will make you a better mum than a young un.

On a different topic... One thing I've been meaning to mention on this thread is the increased chances of success with PGS. The tech seems to be more advanced in Greece. The embies are tested at 3 days and you get results back prior to the 5 day transfer.

The interesting thing is you may have perfect looking 4AA embies at day 5, but if there are any chromosomal issues, the embies will likely die and not implant. This was the case for us. 7 perfect 4AA 5 day blasts but only 4 'good' ones. We could have taken pot luck and transfered 2 non tested ones... but what if they had been 2 of the 'bad' ones?? I would have got a BFN and would potentially have been blaming myself.

Our nurse informed us a week prior to heading to Greece that another couple just had 6 perfect looking embies that all tested 'bad'. This was after a series of ivf dissapointments. Their trip to Greece has at least now provided answers and directions for their next steps.

In Oz, DH had a number of tests that all came up fine. The sperm looked ok, concentration ok and morphology was great. But his previous partner had 4 miscarriages and 2 live births. He then had a FISH test with most parameters ok, but one area indicated there 'may' be issues. Based on that result our Greek clinic recommended PGS.

I recently read a stat that said male issues could be contributing to 30% of unsuccessful ivf attempts. Up till recently it has been difficult to determine this cause.

PGS of 7 embies cost us an extra 2500 euros. But that cost is not great compared to another trip to Greece. Especially at my age I wanted to do everything in my power to get a success the first time.

It's very early days for me yet... and I hope I don't upset anyone, but just thought I'd share this info as it may help others - especially those who've made repeat attempts. It is likely not anything you are doing wrong.
    You make an excellent point! Thanks for sharing 😊

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vixjc For This Useful Post:

CherryCP  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree if you can afford to do that, I see a lot of ladies who transfer two end up with one baby and a blighted ovum so it definitely isn't a rare thing that they look good at day 5 but still have issues going on.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stacey10 For This Useful Post:

CherryCP  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CherryCP View Post
    Hi @SharonG!

We are the same age... so don't worry! You've still got a few years up your sleeve!! and being older will make you a better mum than a young un.

On a different topic... One thing I've been meaning to mention on this thread is the increased chances of success with PGS. The tech seems to be more advanced in Greece. The embies are tested at 3 days and you get results back prior to the 5 day transfer.

The interesting thing is you may have perfect looking 4AA embies at day 5, but if there are any chromosomal issues, the embies will likely die and not implant. This was the case for us. 7 perfect 4AA 5 day blasts but only 4 'good' ones. We could have taken pot luck and transfered 2 non tested ones... but what if they had been 2 of the 'bad' ones?? I would have got a BFN and would potentially have been blaming myself.

Our nurse informed us a week prior to heading to Greece that another couple just had 6 perfect looking embies that all tested 'bad'. This was after a series of ivf dissapointments. Their trip to Greece has at least now provided answers and directions for their next steps.

In Oz, DH had a number of tests that all came up fine. The sperm looked ok, concentration ok and morphology was great. But his previous partner had 4 miscarriages and 2 live births. He then had a FISH test with most parameters ok, but one area indicated there 'may' be issues. Based on that result our Greek clinic recommended PGS.

I recently read a stat that said male issues could be contributing to 30% of unsuccessful ivf attempts. Up till recently it has been difficult to determine this cause.

PGS of 7 embies cost us an extra 2500 euros. But that cost is not great compared to another trip to Greece. Especially at my age I wanted to do everything in my power to get a success the first time.

It's very early days for me yet... and I hope I don't upset anyone, but just thought I'd share this info as it may help others - especially those who've made repeat attempts. It is likely not anything you are doing wrong.
    Hi Cherry

Thanks for that, even after all that testing it still doesn't guantee a pregnancy, my gf had her embryos tested due DH having chromosome issues and still no pregnancy. She took her chances and is pregnant naturally now.
    Sometimes in life timing is just not right.
    X

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kategc For This Useful Post:

CherryCP  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @kategc! You are exactly right. Nothing guarantees success. PGS only eliminates one possible factor, ie the embies themselves. By eliminating this factor the FS can concentrate on other potential issues, ie the recipient.

PGS is much more advanced now. They used the latest tech on our embies. It is called CGH (comparative genomic hybridization).

Strangely our Oz FS would not do PGS for us (?) We were told we could not request it unless we had evidence there were genetic issues. But I'm glad our Greek clinic facilitated it.

I have been in a quandry as to whether to even mention it on this forum as i don't want to upset anyone. Just trying to be helpful.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CherryCP For This Useful Post:

kategc  (26-04-2016),lissimmo  (26-04-2016),SharonG  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Anna, congratulations on your BFP that is fantastic, can you tell me how many transfers you have had in Greece and was it with Dr Nikos.

You give me so much hope 😃

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SharonG For This Useful Post:

AnnaMM  (26-04-2016),lissimmo  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cherry, thanks for the info, what clinic did you go to for the testing?

I want to give myself every chance so will look into this testing

Sharon xx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SharonG For This Useful Post:

CherryCP  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great news Kate, we are making a holiday of it too, we will be there for about 3 weeks but will transfer first and then doing some travelling to Italy and the islands

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SharonG For This Useful Post:

kategc  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi SharonG! I will PM you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, i just wanted to post and say hello. Ive been lurking on this bubhub thread whilst coming to terms with my crappy eggs and stumbled upon embryoland. Ive just emailed dr nikos and am seriously starting to consider donor egg ivf with them. Thought id introduce myself as ive just got bfn bt for my 6th own egg embryo tranfer which took 4 full stim cycles to get 6 transfers. Im fed up of doing ivf and i cant afford to keep cycling with my own eggs. Ive decided i just wanna be a mum. Thats all that matters to me now. Ive read through much of the thread and know im asking people to repeat info theyve already given but if anyone had the time to however briefly fill me in on their donor egg cycle with embryoland, particularly with reference to the choices/preferences you get for donors age or how they know the donors r successful, and particularly if you were unsuccesful first time, what do you do next? Do most ladies get embryos to freeze to fly back and try again ($$$ omg!) Anyway, im desperately hoping that in 12 months time, I'll be posting about my baby and how wonderful the embryoland experience was. This thread has been so inspiring for me and has really helped me come to terms with pursuing a new dream from 'having my own child' to 'being a mum to someone'. And so lovely to read the last few pages of posts full of bfp! If i cant get preggers then im bloody glad someone else can instead xox finfers crossed and baby dust to us all xox

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

AnnaMM  (26-04-2016),lissimmo  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @gorgeousgeorge! Great name! Welcome to this thread! Glad you like it.

I'm an Iakentro girl but I'm sure the Embryoland girls will fill you in. As for donor characteristics, this is specified by greek law. You will be told hair/eye colour, age, height, weight, nationality and blood group. You may be told educational level. By law they have to pick someone who matches your characteristics and the upper age limit is 35 years. I had to specifically request a proven donor. This means they have donated before and a pregnancy has resulted or they may have children of their own. Freezing spare embies (yes you get to keep spares!!) was part of my clinic's costs (5500 euros), but Embryoland may charge extra. If you aren't successful the first time you can try a FET with any remaining embies.

Hope this helps. Again - welcome!
    Last edited by CherryCP; 26-04-2016 at 19:11.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CherryCP For This Useful Post:

lissimmo  (26-04-2016)