Closed Thread
Page 33 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks I hope it works out for you this time
    Quote Originally Posted by kategc View Post
    Hi

No I'm not, I have been over twice first time I miscarried very early on and the second no luck. Regardless of my outcome I would never look at going through anyone else and definitely not in Australia. There's just something amazing about Greece the clinic dr Nikos really hard to explain until you experience it yourself, they really care and want to see you have your dream not about the money like here. Greece is like a second home I just love it there.
    I am heading back over in either June/July just working on dates etc at moment.
    Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    was it your first time in greece and first attempt? I am on my own too so will be using a sperm donor, the Dr said that has better success rates. I wonder why the success rates are higher than Australia?

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry this message was for KCRAIG
    Quote Originally Posted by lissimmo View Post
    was it your first time in greece and first attempt? I am on my own too so will be using a sperm donor, the Dr said that has better success rates. I wonder why the success rates are higher than Australia?

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks I will be following your journey.
    did you try donors in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by CherryCP View Post
    Hi Lissimmo! Welcome. I am in Greece right now and I'm with Iakentro clinic. Don't want to confuse you further but just another option. They get rave reviews and dedicated threads on other forums (eg. Fertility friends). If you want to know more I'm happy to help in any way.

Re costs... Most clinics are around 5500 euros or around $8200 AUD. That covers donor prep, donor meds, egg retrieval, transfer, etc. You pay for all your medication, tests and preparation in Australia, e.g. visits to your GP or FS, blood tests, scans, scripts, etc. For flights I'd allow around $2400 return (for one person). You will need to add accommodation, meals, taxis, etc. I was told to be here for 10 days but if you are doing double donor or FET that time could be a lot shorter. All up I'd allow around $13000 AUD.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lissimmo For This Useful Post:

ange1111  (14-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh @CherryCP you poor thing. I am a big advocate of Compression Socks - they worked a treat with our trip in Feb/Mar.
    @lissimmo I will also confirm that Dr Kanakas is NOT desperate for clients. He is a wonderful Doctor and very thorough and is keen to help as many people as he can. He is very passionate about what he does. I would also say the same for Serum. I did choose Embryoland in the end but have heard so many positive stories about Serum. I would've been happy to go to either it was just how it worked out.
    We are currently 9 weeks.

Welcome to all the newbies. I would also suggest reading through the previous threads for the Greece posts - they are very informative and will give you a good understanding of lots of issues that we've gone through.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaydee32 For This Useful Post:

CherryCP  (15-04-2016),kategc  (14-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lissimmo View Post
    thanks I will be following your journey.
    did you try donors in Australia?
    Hi @lissimmo

No we didn't try donors in Australia. I don't have a sister and didn't want to ask a relative as it is a very private thing for us. In Australia, donors are not anonymous and we didn't want someone else imposing on us or wanting access to our child. That is just how we feel but others may not mind that arrangement. Also our FS told us the waiting list in OZ could be several years!! As I'm not a spring chicken he recommended we go overseas. Another option is you can get a donor from overseas to travel to OZ and donate - but that is not anonymous and it is twice the cost of going to Greece! I also looked into SAfrica but after trawling through hundreds of profiles I couldn't find anyone that resembled me (plus it is not anonymous), whereas Greece was a better fit for my characteristics.

My Greek clinic has a 70% success rate if you do a FET. That is because they will only use the very best eggs and sperm and only freeze the best quality embryos. The techniques and procedures are much more advanced than in OZ. Once you and the clinic are ready, you go over for FET and it is possible to do a transfer and return straight home. Hence you would need around 4 days off work. If you go over during a long weekend then you'll only need one day off work. (Greece's holidays don't coincide exactly with ours).

Anyway... just a few things to consider that may help you decide.
    Last edited by CherryCP; 14-04-2016 at 13:36.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CherryCP For This Useful Post:

ange1111  (14-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jaydee32!

Yes I had compression socks but silly me forgot to put them on! It's funny... you prepare for months and then when the time comes your brain switches off! We were just about to board the plane in Brisbane when they announced you could only have one piece of cabin baggage! We had 2 each. They said the 2nd piece would be put in the hold. I had everything set up in my bags, ie socks, medication, torch, etc and got in a frassle as we had to try to get everything into one bag each... As a result all my stuff got all mixed up and I couldn't find anything when I got on the plane!!! Needless to say, we noticed other passengers with 2 pieces of hand luggage and the hostesses didn't say anything. Anyway, the swelling has gone now and I'll try to be better prepared on the way home.
    Last edited by CherryCP; 14-04-2016 at 13:35.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CherryCP For This Useful Post:

jaydee32  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=CherryCP;8454804]Hi @lissimmo

No we didn't try donors in Australia. I don't have a sister and didn't want to ask a relative as it is a very private thing for us. In Australia, donors are not anonymous and we didn't want someone else imposing on us or wanting access to our child. That is just how we feel but others may not mind that arrangement. Also our FS told us the waiting list in OZ could be several years!! As I'm not a spring chicken he recommended we go overseas. Another option is you can get a donor from overseas to travel to OZ and donate - but that is not anonymous and it is twice the cost of going to Greece! I also looked into SAfrica but after trawling through hundreds of profiles I couldn't find anyone that resembled me (plus it is not anonymous), whereas Greece was a better fit for my characteristics.

My Greek clinic has a 70% success rate if you do a FET. That is because they will only use the very best eggs and sperm and only freeze the best quality embryos. The techniques and procedures are much more advanced than in OZ. Once you and the clinic are ready, you go over for FET and it is possible to do a transfer and return straight home. Hence you would need around 4 days off work. If you go over during a long weekend then you'll only need one day off work. (Greece's holidays don't coincide exactly with ours).
    Hello, just a note that you don't have to wait for years for a donor in Australia. There are lots of avenue's to follow, I am very prepared lol I have 3 people currently that I don't know who have offered. That's just an fyi.
    Oh wow I never thought of it like that to do it on a long weekend, I am just really stressing due to my work and time off. The June long weekend is coming up. That has an added bonus. HMMM thanks������

You are with Embryoland arent you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies! Well we've had quite an adventure so far... On Monday we went to the clinic. DH did his 'thing' and then we waited to hear the no. of eggs collected from the donor. To our total shock, it was a disaster... only two viable eggs! This was a proven donor that had previous donation successes so it was a shock to all involved. I felt numb (and jet-lagged)... and started to get doubts about everything...

Ruth (our personal nurse) quickly jumped on the case and ensured we had another option available. The clinic has hundreds of Italian patients doing FET so they always have donors cycling under that program. They had another proven donor with my characteristics available (I look Italian) for EPU on Wednesday. So yesterday we did it all again... DH got to watch another video as they prefer fresh sperm. (Fortunately we have some leeway in our travel plans so the extra 2 days wait doesn't matter).

This time our donor gave us 12 mature eggs! Also the embryologist was happy with the sperm sample motility, etc. So today we await results of fertilisation... fingers crossed!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CherryCP View Post
    Hi ladies! Well we've had quite an adventure so far... On Monday we went to the clinic. DH did his 'thing' and then we waited to hear the no. of eggs collected from the donor. To our total shock, it was a disaster... only two viable eggs! This was a proven donor that had previous donation successes so it was a shock to all involved. I felt numb (and jet-lagged)... and started to get doubts about everything...

Ruth (our personal nurse) quickly jumped on the case and ensured we had another option available. The clinic has hundreds of Italian patients doing FET so they always have donors cycling under that program. They had another proven donor with my characteristics available (I look Italian) for EPU on Wednesday. So yesterday we did it all again... DH got to watch another video as they prefer fresh sperm. (Fortunately we have some leeway in our travel plans so the extra 2 days wait doesn't matter).

This time our donor gave us 12 mature eggs! Also the embryologist was happy with the sperm sample motility, etc. So today we await results of fertilisation... fingers crossed!!!
    Hurrah for Ruth and Iakentro clinic for sorting that out so quickly! Wonder how the first donors cycle went so pear shaped? Maybe she ovulated prior to collection or something?

All is well that ends well though hey, at least those little embies are growing away now :-). Is Iakentro in Athens or Thessaloniki?

Fingers crossed for lots if A grade embryos to choose from on Day 5!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Vixjc For This Useful Post:

CherryCP  (14-04-2016)