+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default PM benchmark going into year 1?

Sorry about all these back to school posts but I was wondering what PM benchmark your year 1 child is on? DS has just started year 1 at a new school ( same state) They asked me to find out his PM benchmark for reading from the old school and I have just found out it was only level 1!!! I though across the board it is a minimum of about 5? I am not happy at all that I was not informed of this last year. I expressed some concerns as I knew DD was much better at reading then he was in the same year and was told not to worry.
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 02-02-2016 at 09:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So he is just starting year 1? That is quite low but some schools operate differently during prep. You'll probably find that year 1 is much more structured in terms of reading groups. I was a year one teacher in 2013 & 2014 and we saw a lot of children jump many levels throughout the first semester. I'd just bring it up with the new teacher and see if you can take home extra readers for at home as well. Has he mastered the M100 words? (or whatever high frequency word program your school uses). If he can read these words by sight you'll see his reading improve. Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (02-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that - was hoping a teacher would be floating around! Well that is the other thing - he is only on his red words. Knows them all except about 4 of them. I did express concerns near the end of last year as his sister nearly knew them all at the same time. She was however 6y 8m by the end of ( transition - prep/kindergarten) where as DS only turned 6 at xmas time. She also did an 18m transition program ( the school has 18m/12m program depending age of child). He has now changed schools and the new school asked what level he was on so I emailed the old school and just heard back. The new school doesn't do Magic100 - so I am at a complete loss of how to work with this as I feel they are important. I might ad that the old school was a very expensive academic private school and the new school is a catholic school ( 10% of the cost of the old one) - so I am not very happy!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default PM benchmark going into year 1?

I'm not sure what the pm benchmark is but DD has just started year 1, she is reading a level 13 of whatever books they use but on her magic words she is up to the 400 words (starts with teal colour) but only just started them.

I have the whole of the magic words through to 800 colour coded if you want them, the school emailed them to us.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I very general terms, you want them at level 5 by the end of prep, 15 by end of grade 1 and 20 by end of grade 2. Of course they need to be able to do things with what they've read too, and kids progress at different rates. This is just a general guide.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say around a level 6 PM but his reading should improve as bis sight word count increases

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsboyts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I'm not sure what the pm benchmark is but DD has just started year 1, she is reading a level 13 of whatever books they use but on her magic words she is up to the 400 words (starts with teal colour) but only just started them.

I have the whole of the magic words through to 800 colour coded if you want them, the school emailed them to us.
    would it be ok for me to pm you my email address for the words? I have a 6yo dd in year 1 and would like to give this a try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Jontu - here is a link to what I think the magic words people are talking about in this thread:

https://mrsmallorys.files.wordpress....magic-list.pdf

Here is a link to Frys first words - similar list that my older kids used when they were learning to read:

http://www.lcsonline.org/wp-content/...-500-Words.pdf

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (02-02-2016),Jontu  (02-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @SSecret Squirrel !
    My dds sight words look like the first 100 but just not colour coded.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (02-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    would it be ok for me to pm you my email address for the words? I have a 6yo dd in year 1 and would like to give this a try.
    Yes no problem if you still want them

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (03-02-2016)