+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Hypotonia??

Does any have a child with hypotonia?
    It looks my niece may have it and I just wanted to locate any good resources to help them out.
    Currently they are living in Thailand but will be back here very soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter has hypotonia. It's part of syndrome she has.
    Hypotonia can be different in babies/kids. It can affect them different. A good physio can be super helpful.
    for us it affected weight bearing..she never did it.
    Also eating / chewing..plus her bowels have low tone.
    How old is she?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for replying.
    She is 16 months. She is sitting up, can stand if put into the position but no where near walking. She also has poor fine motor skills and low muscle tone.
    They have seen a paed and are waiting to see another. But as they are in remote area I don't think they are best doctors going around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    My 17 month old has Hypotonia which affects her trunk area and the core muscles in them. Quite often, when Hypotonia is present thus affecting the Gross Motor skills area it will have a "knock on" effect into the other areas of development also (but not always). If 3 or more of these areas are affected, it's then called "Global Delay".

Yes...once your niece gets back to Aus she should be taken to see preferably a Developmental Paediatrician as Hypotonia is not a diagnosis as such, but a symptom of an underlying cause. However, often a cause can never be found. If that's the case it will be classed as "Benign Congenital Hypotonia".

There are unfortunately many diseases or disorders which Hypotonia is a symptom of. The way to find that out is to have a "Chromosomal Micro Array" test done (via a blood test) as well as a urine screen to rule out Metabolic causes too. A good Paed whether it be a Genreal Paed or a Developmental Paed will run all the appropriate tests to try to find a cause.

I'm not sure what state/city your niece will be living in, but up here in Brisbane the state gov't provides Early Intervention Services that consist of PT's, OT's and ST's that can be accessed for free. I got my GP to refer my DD there at 12 months (as we don't have PHI...not sure if your niece/parents do??) as the sooner the LO's can get help the better.

We've also seen the Paed last week and she's running all the appropriate tests I mentioned above (the CMA test will take 8 weeks for a result) so will see if we can determine a cause as my DD wasn't born a "floppy baby". It's something that I noticed when she was around 9 months or so and wasn't hitting all her milestones properly so the thought for her is Benign Congenital Hypotonia. In the meantime, DD has regular sessions with the OT & PT and soon to be ST also as she's got "Global Delays".

Here's a link that talks about Hypotonia:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/hypoton...roduction.aspx

Here's a couple of links about Benign Congenital Hypotnonia:

http://patient.info/doctor/benign-congenital-hypotonia

http://nurse-practitioners-and-physi...Hypotonia.aspx

So, IMO the main thing at the moment while still over in Thailand would be to get onto a physiotherapist/occupational therapist and get your niece some therapy if that's at all possible or her parents aren't doing that already??

This site...Mama O.T gives some good tips and tricks to help encourage walking etc:

http://mamaot.com/developmental-milestones/

She also has a Facebook page too. Anyhoo, hoping some of this info is helpful Luv
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 02-02-2016 at 14:11.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (02-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    My 17 month old has Hypotonia which affects her trunk area and the core muscles in them. Quite often, when Hypotonia is present thus affecting the Gross Motor skills area it will have a "knock on" effect into the other areas of development also (but not always). If 3 or more of these areas are affected, it's then called "Global Delay".

Yes...once your niece gets back to Aus she should be taken to see preferably a Developmental Paediatrician as Hypotonia is not a diagnosis as such, but a symptom of an underlying cause. However, often a cause can never be found. If that's the case it will be classed as "Benign Congenital Hypotonia".

There are unfortunately many diseases or disorders which Hypotonia is a symptom of. The way to find that out is to have a "Chromosomal Micro Array" test done (via a blood test) as well as a urine screen to rule out Metabolic causes too. A good Paed whether it be a Genreal Paed or a Developmental Paed will run all the appropriate tests to try to find a cause.

I'm not sure what state/city your niece will be living in, but up here in Brisbane the state gov't provides Early Intervention Services that consist of PT's, OT's and ST's that can be accessed for free. I got my GP to refer my DD there at 12 months (as we don't have PHI...not sure if your niece/parents do??) as the sooner the LO's can get help the better.

We've also seen the Paed last week and she's running all the appropriate tests I mentioned above (the CMA test will take 8 weeks for a result) so will see if we can determine a cause as my DD wasn't born a "floppy baby". It's something that I noticed when she was around 9 months or so and wasn't hitting all her milestones properly so the thought for her is Benign Congenital Hypotonia. In the meantime, DD has regular sessions with the OT & PT and soon to be ST also as she's got "Global Delays".

Here's a link that talks about Hypotonia:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/hypoton...roduction.aspx

Here's a couple of links about Benign Congenital Hypotnonia:

http://patient.info/doctor/benign-congenital-hypotonia

http://nurse-practitioners-and-physi...Hypotonia.aspx

So, IMO the main thing at the moment while still over in Thailand would be to get onto a physiotherapist/occupational therapist and get your niece some therapy if that's at all possible or her parents aren't doing that already??

This site...Mama O.T gives some good tips and tricks to help encourage walking etc:

http://mamaot.com/developmental-milestones/

She also has a Facebook page too. Anyhoo, hoping some of this info is helpful Luv
    Thank you so much for all this information and the links to resources. I will pass all of this on.
    They will be in Melbourne so I presume at the Children's hospital.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (02-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Thank you so much for all this information and the links to resources. I will pass all of this on.
    They will be in Melbourne so I presume at the Children's hospital.
    No worries Luv There most definitely is Early Intervention Services available in Victoria too. I've just had a quick look around and here's a link explaining it. Right down the bottom of the page it provides a link of whom to get in touch with to get the ball rolling, but as I said earlier, a GP *should* be able to fax off a referral too though best to check as they could do things differently in your part of the woods:

http://raisingchildren.net.au/articl...ervention.html

I find this site really informative as well for parenting stuff in general

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    No worries Luv There most definitely is Early Intervention Services available in Victoria too. I've just had a quick look around and here's a link explaining it. Right down the bottom of the page it provides a link of whom to get in touch with to get the ball rolling, but as I said earlier, a GP *should* be able to fax off a referral too though best to check as they could do things differently in your part of the woods:

http://raisingchildren.net.au/articl...ervention.html

I find this site really informative as well for parenting stuff in general
    Thank you again. This is so helpful.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    No probs Luv

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. I will if I can

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great advice from @BlondeinBrisvegas !!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (03-02-2016),Lincolns mummy  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Great advice from @BlondeinBrisvegas !!
    Thank-you Luv