Controlled settling | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Controlled settling

Hi mums
    How long did it take for bubs to self settle with gentle techniques like going in and out till baby was asleep?!

My 9mo isn't really settling herself to sleep. Just cries when I leave the room. I go in and out depending on the cries for an hr. After which I pat her if she's still awake.

I'm curious to see how long babies take to "get it" x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How long do you leave her for the initial time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    How long do you leave her for the initial time?
    I've been advised by my consultant to just leave as soon as she's calm. So far she calms down but escalates 0-10 as soon as I leave the room. So I wait anywhere between 1-2min. Depending on the crying. Usually it's quite emotional crying then downgrades a bit as the eve wears on!
    So I guess I'm doing it slowly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried leaving her a little longer? Is it more unsettling for her after youve gone back in?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Have you looked at possible underlying issues? Solids? Day naps and timing ? Bedtime routine ? Initial settling technique??Room temp? Bedding??

Sometimes if there are underlying issues efforts to resettle (controlled or otherwise) are screwed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When my son goes through separation anxiety phases like this I find that sitting next to his cot with my hand on him and shooshing and then gradually retreating as he calms down, and sitting further away as days progress works much better than leaving and coming back.

How long have you been trying this method for? It can take a couple weeks for any method to work.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (04-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Have you looked at possible underlying issues? Solids? Day naps and timing ? Bedtime routine ? Initial settling technique??Room temp? Bedding??

Sometimes if there are underlying issues efforts to resettle (controlled or otherwise) are screwed.
    Hi Vic park
    (I only just saw this msg!)
    I have considered all of the above!
    What do you suggest doing for day time naps and timings?
    She's 9.5months. Has 2.5 awake time.
    She's been getting up a couple times after bedtime for ages now indicating over tiredness. But I just can't seem to get to the bottom of it!
    Ive tried
    Early bedtime
    Late bedtime
    Capping morning nap to 45mins
    Giving more/less awake time.

Nothing has stopped her from waking in the eve. Any thoughts??!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday mama View Post
    Hi Vic park
    (I only just saw this msg!)
    I have considered all of the above!
    What do you suggest doing for day time naps and timings?
    She's 9.5months. Has 2.5 awake time.
    She's been getting up a couple times after bedtime for ages now indicating over tiredness. But I just can't seem to get to the bottom of it!
    Ive tried
    Early bedtime
    Late bedtime
    Capping morning nap to 45mins
    Giving more/less awake time.

Nothing has stopped her from waking in the eve. Any thoughts??!
    She may not be tired enough (even though you say overtiredness). We were having issues with wake ups after bedtime and re-jigged our daytime wake times/naps and she's no longer waking after bedtime. My DD is almost 8 months old and having much longer wake times than yours, she settles to sleep by herself (no crying) for all sleeps. We still have some wake ups between midnight-7am but other issues are resolved and when she goes to bed she sleeps 4-5hrs at the first stage.
    Her wake times are 2.5 hours morning, then 3-3.5 hours, then 3.5-4 hours late arvo so the day looks like this:
    7am wake
    9:30-11am nap
    2/2:30pm- 3:30-4:30pm nap
    7:30ish bedtime

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyla  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    She may not be tired enough (even though you say overtiredness). We were having issues with wake ups after bedtime and re-jigged our daytime wake times/naps and she's no longer waking after bedtime. My DD is almost 8 months old and having much longer wake times than yours, she settles to sleep by herself (no crying) for all sleeps. We still have some wake ups between midnight-7am but other issues are resolved and when she goes to bed she sleeps 4-5hrs at the first stage.
    Her wake times are 2.5 hours morning, then 3-3.5 hours, then 3.5-4 hours late arvo so the day looks like this:
    7am wake
    I'm dreaming of this routine! DD is the same age. I transitioned her to a cot today and her day naps were ok. We've been on the edge this week though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    7am wake
    Hi
    You have a good point there but initially she was having longer awake times (when she first started doing this) that's why I guess I dialed down the awake times.

She has roughly 3 hours awake time during the day and before bed she has 3.5 -4 hours. I can try to increase it and see how I go

Do you put your daughter down like 15mins before so she's asleep by the 3.5-4 hr mark?!
    Last night she was in bed at the 3hr mark and with all the settling was asleep by 3.5 hr mark!
    Last edited by Someday mama; 23-02-2016 at 09:31.