+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dad would say something like that. He's well aware of my views.
    I'd stare him down/raise my eyebrows/roll my eyes, and say something like "uhuh."/"he what now?" etc. He'd probably change the subject so that he could back down without admitting it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Well honestly. I'd do nothing. My dad often says things like this. He's old. He says inappropriate stuff frequently. I don't feel the need to chastise my own dad about stuff. Certainly not in this instance.
    And I'd likely upset him which I'm not really into doing.
    This

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (02-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    to go off on a tangent, as we often do here, the question about 'at what age do we stop using someone's age, as an excuse for whatever behaviour. ?? I used to often have quite serious debates with my dear grand mother, and my mother would be almost shocked, because I was not backing down to let gran have her way with the discussion. I think it is important that we keep the lines of communication open, regardless of an age difference. it is important for the young to respect the old, and to learn from them , but also for the old to learn form the young. I love a healthy debate. marie.
    completely agree Marie

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

MrsA2B  (02-02-2016),SuperGranny  (02-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i don't go out of my way to make fun of people, I certainly don't make fun of disabled people, I consider myself a decent kind hearted person. It was a comment over a haircut. Plenty of people have stupid haircuts, who aren't necessarily gay but I am entitled to my opinion like everyone else. I'm not perfect, I certainly have my flaws and I own them too. I probably would have laughed and said, dad you can't really say that these days. I haven't spoken to my father for 10 years, for other reasons, but that is probably something he would say.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (02-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    "I find that comment offensive. Don't say such things around me or my family"

Sounds like something my husband would say to be honest, and yes I pull him up on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think everyone has a word or a sub group that they are sensitive about according to our own experiences. I know people with special needs kids who aren't generally 'precious' but will go off when others use the r word. Some hate the c word. Others really despise 'towel head' bc they are/are close to people that are Seik. Personally I absolutely loath that word Vic. It's so offensive and bogan and such an insult to gay men.

Having said that, it would depend on whether it was an isolated incident or whether it was ignorance vs deliberately offensive as to how I would respond. If it was a one off I'd probably raise my eye brows and say "Dad!" but if it was a pattern of behaviour as you say I'd be likely to call him on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    mine seem to gravitate towards the racial words. I don't think I've ever heard them say poofter or ridicule someone based on anything else. I find the racial stuff really offensive though. it's like by using any kind of derogatory words you're making out you're somehow better than the person you're ridiculing. which any person with 1/8th of a brain knows is just ridiculous. everyone is just equal. I can't stand that elitist angle my parents take sometimes. I could really say hurtful things and bring them back down to earth but it's not worth starting WW3 over. I definitely tell them off and say I find their language offensive.

my dh is half Indian ffs and our kid will be mixed race. if I hear any disgusting terms going forward I'll be quick to point this out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    I'm probably going to be crucified but I'd probably laugh. I have nothing against gays or lesbians but it was a comment about a haircut. The term isn't particularly a nice one but it was a haircut...you can't say anything these days without offending someone.
    Where do you draw the line though in using language that is offensive to one group in order to get a laugh out of another group?

For me the term fagg@t is extremely offensive - right up there with nigg$r Abo's and fat mole or stupid Sl&t. The idea that someone would use these terms in a derogatory way to get a laugh .... Has me gobsmacked. If we think it's ok to laugh at such nasty disrespect then no wonder there is still a heap of racism, sexism and homophobia out there.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

DT75  (03-02-2016),gingermillie  (02-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (02-02-2016),LaDiDah  (02-02-2016),MrsA2B  (02-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (02-02-2016)