I am new here and am hoping there might be others who are going through a similar situation as me.
I am 30 years old and found out last year I have a right hydrosalpinx (likely due to previous abdominal surgery) and am due to have a HSG this week to see whether the left tube is potent.
In addition to this, we just found out last week that I have very low anti-mullerian levels for my age (4.0).
The gynocologist recommended my fiancé and I start trying within the next two months and pushed how drastic this situation is. The graphs we were shown painted a somewhat horrific picture seeing where my levels should be for my age.
Obviously we first need to see whether the left tube is potent (hasn't shown any fluid in ultrasounds to date but can never rely on these as we have been told).
If the left tube turns out to be blocked then we will have to remove both tubes and turn to IVF immediately due to the low levels.
If left tube is potent then I either have a laparoscopy to remove damaged right tube and start trying as soon as we are given the go ahead OR we risk it and try straight away (if left tube potent) knowing it could be an ectopic pregnancy and also knowing the hydrosalpinx could be leaking the toxic fluid.
It has all been quite a shock and as both were not diagnosed close together has made it somewhat worse knowing I now have a very significant setback having such low levels at 30. We weren't planning to TTC for at least a year due to our careers but now there is no choice if we ever want to have a child together. This is not an issue for us though as we are both well and truly established in successful careers, we just hadn't planned in our minds to be this year.
To make matters that little bit more emotional, I have a son from a previous relationship who is 12. This means I have added guilt / pressure to make sure I can give my fiancé a child of "his own". I use this term lightly because he is a father to my son but I am sure you understand my point of being a biological child as whilst someone can think of their step child as their own (especially since biological father is not in the picture), there is still a difference.
My fiancé is very supportive in the sense that he will be ok regardless of what eventuates. He would be fine if it ended up being the three of us but I know I would have so much sadness and guilt if that were to ever happen (I truly hope it doesn't).
It's easy for some to say "you already have a child, be grateful" but considering how young I was and how I've always yearned to have a proper "family unit" and be able to give my husband to be a biological child of his own, I do not feel it is appropriate to say those unsupportive statements.
I know it isn't the end of the world and until I've had the HSG I won't know which path to choose but I'd still love to hear from anyone who has gone through similar circumstances (or still is).
With all the information I've read the levels are already on the risky side for IVF but then again I shouldn't believe everything I read and wait until if/when we ever needed to go down this path.