+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low anti-mullerian hormone levels and hydrosalpinx

Hello

I am new here and am hoping there might be others who are going through a similar situation as me.

I am 30 years old and found out last year I have a right hydrosalpinx (likely due to previous abdominal surgery) and am due to have a HSG this week to see whether the left tube is potent.
    In addition to this, we just found out last week that I have very low anti-mullerian levels for my age (4.0).
    The gynocologist recommended my fiancé and I start trying within the next two months and pushed how drastic this situation is. The graphs we were shown painted a somewhat horrific picture seeing where my levels should be for my age.

Obviously we first need to see whether the left tube is potent (hasn't shown any fluid in ultrasounds to date but can never rely on these as we have been told).
    If the left tube turns out to be blocked then we will have to remove both tubes and turn to IVF immediately due to the low levels.
    If left tube is potent then I either have a laparoscopy to remove damaged right tube and start trying as soon as we are given the go ahead OR we risk it and try straight away (if left tube potent) knowing it could be an ectopic pregnancy and also knowing the hydrosalpinx could be leaking the toxic fluid.

It has all been quite a shock and as both were not diagnosed close together has made it somewhat worse knowing I now have a very significant setback having such low levels at 30. We weren't planning to TTC for at least a year due to our careers but now there is no choice if we ever want to have a child together. This is not an issue for us though as we are both well and truly established in successful careers, we just hadn't planned in our minds to be this year.

To make matters that little bit more emotional, I have a son from a previous relationship who is 12. This means I have added guilt / pressure to make sure I can give my fiancé a child of "his own". I use this term lightly because he is a father to my son but I am sure you understand my point of being a biological child as whilst someone can think of their step child as their own (especially since biological father is not in the picture), there is still a difference.

My fiancé is very supportive in the sense that he will be ok regardless of what eventuates. He would be fine if it ended up being the three of us but I know I would have so much sadness and guilt if that were to ever happen (I truly hope it doesn't).

It's easy for some to say "you already have a child, be grateful" but considering how young I was and how I've always yearned to have a proper "family unit" and be able to give my husband to be a biological child of his own, I do not feel it is appropriate to say those unsupportive statements.

I know it isn't the end of the world and until I've had the HSG I won't know which path to choose but I'd still love to hear from anyone who has gone through similar circumstances (or still is).

With all the information I've read the levels are already on the risky side for IVF but then again I shouldn't believe everything I read and wait until if/when we ever needed to go down this path.

Thanks
    Jess

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Low anti-mullerian hormone levels and hydrosalpinx

Hi there, I am sorry that you are going through this.

I don't have any experience with the tube issues, but I am 29 and my amh is 3. I also have immune issues and endo so can totally relate to what a horrible shock it is so young, and how stressful it is.

My FS said the situation was urgent too. My FSH was also high and I was producing only 5-7 follicles (normal is around 20-30 I think) he said to proceed with IVF.

My first IVF cycle was cancelled as my FSH was too high and they told us to come back the following month. In that month I fell pregnant naturally and am nearly 17 weeks

My understanding is that although our egg reserves are low, egg quality is likely to be good due to our age. I would def proceed quickly but don't lose hope that you won't be able to have another child. I have heard so many stories similar to mine. Also amh isn't always accurate, a better indicator is an ultrasound to see how many follicles you are producing.

Wishing you all the very best!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience86 For This Useful Post:

Jholla  (01-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have u had fsh etc checked? Amh is an overall indicator of ovarian reserve, other hormones go haywire when situation ultra urgent. Some labs are getting false low readings of Amh so if ur other hormones are fine have Amh rechecked, mine was <1 with one lab and 14 (normal aged 35 at time ) with fs lab. A friends was 6 then 11....My other hormones were fine , which is why the recheck was done.... There's even been some recalls with the Amh test....I ended up doing ivf anyway as I found I had endo the Amh was just something that triggered me to start tests....u could store a batch of embies if not ready yet if situation proves urgent....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisau77 For This Useful Post:

Jholla  (01-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks both for your encouraging replies and great to hear success is a possibility!
    I haven't had the FSH test as yet due to only finding out last week about AMH levels.
    I assume I'd have to ask my gyno to refer us to a fertility expert?

My HSG is later in the week so I should have a better idea on what path we need to take once I know whether I have one remaining patent tube or not.