+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Thanks VP.

I think I'm reluctant to do anything right now because what if it doesn't work? What then? I'm staring into the abyss. At least right now I still have hope (and confidence) things will improve soon.

I'd hate to try and fix things too soon and be devastated if it backfires and doesn't work.

I'm trying to hold on until daylight savings ends. She'll be 5+ months, I'll be more confident she's capable of being able to move past catnapping and can cope without the multiple night feeds.

Just got to hang in there and do what I need to get through this. It's just all too hard to try and do anything at the moment as I'm so exhausted, but there is a plan, and hope
    I understand what you are feeling. I was shattered and again looking forward so much to fixing the problem when ds2 was old enough that I ended up trying at 5 months rather than 6 as we did the same with ds1. However things are really not working for us this time around and although it's probably just a personality thing I do wonder if he was too young when we started and that has had an impact. It might seem a lifetime away but it will come around soon and my advice would be to be very clear about how you want to go about the training as even though it's hard if its done properly you will get faster results with less stress. (I'm realising now that I've ended up delving in and out of training and at the moment am definitely not being consistent due to the fact we are travelling to Europe soon so know everything will be messed up, but it's making things much worse and we are slowly getting back to square one. Makes me so upset thinking I put him through a few weeks of crying to now not have the results and have to start again soon.)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey LMS I totally get what you're saying about being worried something won't work, I felt exactly like that on Monday when our sleep consultant visited. We have gone forward 10 steps and back 8 and forward and back again so magic "fixing". I know there are financial considerations with daycare but I would also class your mental health as much as a priority as food and utilities so try to put that worry out of your head and if you can stretch to another day put her in - 2 days is great for kids anyway because they often feel more settled with 2 or 3 days than a single day. The other day when DS went to daycare and I put DD down and as soon as she went down I slept and we both ended up
    sleeping for 3 hours, it changed my whole outlook.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (12-03-2016),wobbleyhorse  (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also just wanted to add keep that positive outlook you have - things will definitely improve!!! It will pass! Big hugs and if you want any info about what we did pm me and I can send you some stuff xx

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Not sleeping and not coping- help

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Thanks VP.

I think I'm reluctant to do anything right now because what if it doesn't work? What then? I'm staring into the abyss. At least right now I still have hope (and confidence) things will improve soon.

I'd hate to try and fix things too soon and be devastated if it backfires and doesn't work.

I'm trying to hold on until daylight savings ends. She'll be 5+ months, I'll be more confident she's capable of being able to move past catnapping and can cope without the multiple night feeds.

Just got to hang in there and do what I need to get through this. It's just all too hard to try and do anything at the moment as I'm so exhausted, but there is a plan, and hope
    Of course stick with your plan if that's what you feel the need to do, just a few points for your consideration:
    - things can backfire and get worse at any age
    - you can always implement a gentle approach that is age appropriate for whatever age your child is at the time
    - waiting longer doesn't necessarily guarantee success as roadblocks can pop up at any age that aren't always solveable via sleep 'training' (I hate that word).. For example my ds2 started having shorter naps during the day around 4.5 months - because he was getting bigger and hungrier. Stopped when solids were /increased around 5.5 months. For us - this involved introducing solids around 5 months. Some parents aren't comfortable with solids this early.
    - Depending on the child and time you start waiting *could* make things harder. The longer a habit has been in place (such as aiding to sleep) the harder it can be to break. It only takes a few nights to form a habit however it can take weeks or months to break one. Depending on the age efforts could be futile. The risk of later efforts being futile can somewhat be combatted by introducing a small number of gentle and age appropriate measures before you reach crunch time.

If you don't want the pressure of doing things now and possibly having them fail that's totally understandable. There are some mums on here who can offer great advice on learning to come to terms with sleep hardship.
    Last edited by VicPark; 12-03-2016 at 08:27.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (12-03-2016),nh2489  (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @nh2489 don't feel bad. I like to think of it like crying in a car. When you're driving and they're crying for ages and you can't pull over they get over it right? No damage done. Your bubs is fine and loves you and doesn't remember a damn thing
    thanks for the tip about waiting if I can. Dd2 is tiny so that plays on my mind a lot too (I'm tiny too). Tbh though my main concern was she's just started rolling yesterday, plus I'd hate to try and give her some consistency yet change it when daylight savings ends (I hate hate hate daylight savings).

I agree with you VP in not waiting too long either. My SIL had a helluva time with her son as she tried a lot later- by this time he was much more vocal and mobile in the cot and had more stamina to fight it. And he was deeply entrenched in late nights/wake ups.
    @babyla sorry to here it's not been the magic fix but I'm glad it's really improving for you

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (12-03-2016),VicPark  (12-03-2016)