+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    We had our session with the sleep consultant yesterday. Amazing! In one night we have gone from feeding to sleep and feeding to resettle and up 4-5 times to DD sleeping 7.40 - 12.45 (unheard of!!) we gave her a bottle then and then 3am resettle without a bottle, up at 6.40. She's just gone down for her nap in bed awake and put herself to sleep without a bottle. I'm not going to get ahead of myself but I'm feeling pretty optimistic right now 😄
    That's great @babyla, what did they teach you was it routine/settling techniques?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyla  (08-03-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    That's great @babyla, what did they teach you was it routine/settling techniques?
    Yes I'm curious to know how things were changed in one night!
    Fingers crossed this continues!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

babyla  (08-03-2016),GemJane  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Yes I'm curious to know how things were changed in one night!
    Fingers crossed this continues!
    She came to the house for 2 hours and got a full history about us and DDs sleeping, eating etc.. Then she talked about the importance of "winding down" (which I did with DS) and the routine, change, sleeping bag, bottle in my arms, walk to bedroom, story, then bed and dummy. We walked out and let her grizzle, when she started crying I went back into her and through the cot put my hands on her legs to stop them wriggling and my hands gently over her face as if to close her eyes whilst sh'ing and she fell asleep without a bottle. We did it again in the evening, it took longer and I was in/out 3 times but she again fell asleep without a bottle. I've done the routine twice today and she had a 2 hour morning nap and has just gone asleep again now. Tonight we turn of all screens from 6-7, bath, close blinds and then do the routine between 6.30-7pm. I also had a nap when she did and feel a million bucks 😄

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (08-03-2016),babyno1onboard  (08-03-2016),binnielici  (08-03-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (08-03-2016),nh2489  (11-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-03-2016),VicPark  (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's really good, establishing a wind down routine. Whilst I don't like to leaving my kids to sleep by themselves I see the value in the settling process.

Fabulous @babyla.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

babyla  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the wind down. We don't do self settling either BUT have a definite wind down in the evening. TV off, minimal lighting and quiet voices before reading and sleep time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

babyla  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Dammit i was barely coping as it was and I kept hoping it was just a blip but it looks as though dd1 is dropping the day nap for the past week or so every second day she hasn't gone to sleep even after an hour or so in the bed (she continually calls out I'm ready! Mum I'm awake!). She copes just fine till bedtime without it. I on the over hand....
    She was exhausting as it was, the afternoons have now become a special kind of hell, not her fault but I've napped since high school, even when working (6-3) and I'm a mess without a lay down letting alone when stupidly sleep deprived
    Dd2 went down last night at 630, woke 730, 930, 12, 130-2am awake, 330-430 awake, then up for day at 6am. This is a typical night.

Can't wait for daylight savings to end and hopefully can get a bit tougher with her.

I'm dying inside
    Argh! This is really tough! It truly has been so similar for us. DS dropped his nap when DD was born and I still really needed to nap especially when being up all night. Do whatever works! I still this week, when I put DD down over the weekend, put Netflix on for DS in our room and we both hopped into bed, he watched netflix and I napped. Sleep deprivation is so hard, chronic sleep deprivation is torture and affects your functioning on every level. When we had nights like that with DD she would be in bed with us, it was the only way to get an hour of even light sleep. Big hugs!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey ladies, I'm just going to jump in here as I've been following this thread for a while (sleep is very hit and miss for us)
    my bub (4months) is an absolute dream to put down, can put down awake and he will go to sleep (I've done no sleep training or cio it's just him I'm pretty lucky) he does have a dummy and comforter.
    Anyway, my question is - does anyone else have a bub who has super obvious sleep cycles (day naps) that they just can not tie together no matter what? I can time him to the minute pretty much and he will always wake. Very occasionally if I go in quick enough I can pop the dummy back in and can get him to have another cycle but it's getting harder the older that he gets. The thing is he's super sensitive to being over tired and needs about 3 hrs total sleep a day so spread that over 40 minute naps and that's 5 naps a day. I feel like all I do is put him down for naps all day. I'd love him to be having 3x 1hr naps and maybe a late cat nap to tie him over to bed.
    Anyway, it's not a huge deal It just makes it tricky to go anywhere because he gets so tired so fast and is super whingy.
    Sorry to hijack I just don't know anyone personally who've had a bub who does this. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Not sleeping and not coping- help

Glad you're joining us @GemJane, ask away!

Dd1 napped in 40 minute blocks, never more, never less, for the first 6 months. It was frustrating as hell, but at the same time it made it easy to plan. She started napping longer when she learnt not just to self settle but self RESETTLE during the day which apparently is a different skill lol.

About 80% of the time dd2 naps in 40 minute chucks, the other times I can usually resettle her at the 40 minute mark- it depends if she wakes miserable or happy.

You cannot really fix naps until they are 6 months as it's a developmental thing - after that if she's still a catnapper you can be a bit more proactive in changing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There have been wine great threads on here with tips and advice to try and fix your catnapper as well if you search

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

GemJane  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thanks @LittleMissSunshine that's so reassuring. I have read (in my crazy extended research) that the 40min naps are pretty common and a developmental thing, but all my real life mum friends kind of look at me like I'm crazy when I say I can set my watch to his naps. It's just a little frustrating when he still needs that total amount of sleep per day but only has it in little patches. I feel like I'm in this never ending two hour loop! Haha! But I will wait and see if he grows out of it in the next few months. The thing is, he'll randomly throw in a 1.5 hour nap so I know he can do it, but when I need him to - nope! He usually does the big naps when I've planned to go somewhere you'd swear they know.
    Thanks for the reply LMS I really hope nights are improving for you or they do real soon. You're doing a great job mummy xx

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GemJane For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (08-03-2016)