+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private Hosp Costs?? Sunnybank & Greenslopes

Hi all,

I have just been advised that I am pregnant and I am looking at going to Sunnybank Private or Greenslopes Private. I was wondering if anyone knows rough idea on out of pocket expenses? I am 23 and have private health but dont know if we can afford it? Does anyone know if there are any doctors that just charge to your health fund?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    You would to look at the individual fees for the different obstetricians that you're looking at.

Are you covered for obstetrics under your private health?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes covered for obs under my health fund. Looking for rough out of pocket costs so we can work out if it is the avenue we will go down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It could be anywhere from $2000 to $10,000.

It depends on the obstetrician - they all have individual pregnancy management fees. It depends on how much you need to pay the anaesthetist (if you need one) and a paediatrician. There's a number of factors to consider.

So you need to start by looking at obstetricians and seeing what their fees are and how much is covered by private health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Most Obgyn fees sit around $3000. Add in your phi excess, the possibility of having to pay for an anaesthetist $500-$1500ish and pediatrician.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private Hosp Costs?? Sunnybank & Greenslopes

Hi, at Sunnybank centre for women the ob charges 150 initial appt then 80 recheck, get about half back from Medicare. Preg management fee is 2000 get about 490 I think it is from Medicare, once reach ur cap u get more.... Other fees ur hosp excess and a little from anaesthetist if u get epi and the paed, ( maybe few hundred) but all in all heaps cheaper than most hosp and obs.... Sunnybank private is my pick, but they do g/s or Sunnybank..... There's 2 obs in that group so u get someone u know doing ur delivery it's not a big group where u don't have much chance of getting ur own ob..... Parking free too at the obs rooms and hospital which adds up ( sunnybank) their delivery is no out of pocket, so it's just above listed fees, if u decided to go public they also do shared care which is cheaper again ( so gives u the part private option) . The scans with ob are not extra but the 12&20w scans vary privately from bulk bill to about 400 each with about 150 from Medicare each.... They will tell u the pros and cons of a few places. I went Qld u/s for women and they were amazing, got some 3D pics too included no extra.
    The obs and midwife at sc4w were happy for people to phone up and go and meet with them informally before deciding too which was nice....
    Don't forget the being able to stay in hosp as long as u need after Bub if private, avera public is 24-48h, which means very little help with bf, I was soo glad for my 6days without it I wouldn't have been able to bf, having a midwife to call to help me feed was awesome, can't imagine going home 48h after a Caesar which is common public.
    Last edited by Lisau77; 31-01-2016 at 14:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a high level private health but I had no out of pocket expenses except for some of my Ob 20 week management fee. If you have an epidural will u have some out of pocket costs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh sorry I did pay a few hundred for paed

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had ob's fees (will depend on individual dr), no excess at hospital, has to pay for anaesthetist for epidural, some pathology, paed, overnight fees for DH to stay. That was a couple of years ago now at Sunnybank.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The appts at Drs rooms are Medicare, the stuff in hospital is where ur private health pays.... That's why there's fees at the Drs since Medicare rebates aren't great..,,