+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Constipation in 7 month old

Just wanting any tips or advice on how to help a little one who seems to be constipated (quite large hard balls of poo) and very distressed and uncomfortable when passing poo? Brief history:-
    Still breastfed, no formula
    I'm waiting to see a paed in couple of weeks for suspected food allergies/intolerances as he's always had lots of mucus in his poo. That seems to have improved a lot since I've cut out dairy and egg.
    He's been on solids for about 2 months, mainly doing blw so a typical day would be 1/2 kids wheetabix in morning made with almond milk and few spoonfuls fruit purée plus spoonful baby probiotics, lunch and dinner is a mixture of finger food such as mango, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, nectarines, sweet potato, occasionally flaked white fish or cooked chicken, and sometimes some toast with margarine.
    He's not having any dairy or eggs yet and he's only had banana occasionally (I know this used to make ds1 a bit constipated). So my question is are there any foods im giving him that usually cause constipation as it seems to be mostly fruit and high fibre foods? He's not great at taking milk especially during the day so I'm also trying to give him some water especially during the hot weather. Could it just be mild dehydration? Any good foods that might help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It could be the weetbix (they can make me constipated).

As far as foods to help - I would try pears and possibly a bit of pear juice to help clear him for now. Moving forward, I would suggest porridge for breakfast instead of weebix.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Constipation in 7 month old

I agree possibly the weetbix. Maybe decrease the amount of solids overall and offer breastmilk more often too if you can.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh @nh2489 we have been in constipation hell with our 7 month old DD too the past few weeks it's been getting worse and worse to the point she is pooing tiny hard pellets and screaming and crying while straining to go. Gosh it's been awful.
    DD is ebf and not really into solids much yet - getting a few teaspoons at most each day.
    Apple is quite constipating apparently so stop that for a while if you're giving it. And banana and cereal I've heard aren't great.
    Are you giving a small amount of water every time with solids? I'm talking like 20ml only. Everyone has suggested this to me that even BF babies need a bit of water with solids to help things along.
    You could try pureed prunes each day too some people put it in weetbix. Or some prune juice diluted with water (again small amount only).
    Pear supposedly helps so DD has pear for breakfast every day.
    I finally had to contact our paed this week as it was getting so bad and I was worried she would stop trying to poo because of the pain 😢 he's put her on actilax which you get over the counter at the chemist. It's lactulose. She's on 5ml a day for 8 weeks then weaning by reducing 1ml per week. She's been on it 5 days and finally did a big smooshy one yesterday.
    I never thought I'd be so obsessed with poo omg 💩😁
    Good luck I hope you get it worked out soon as this is the pits.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg my 7 month old DD is the same. She's cries and screams every time she tries to go, it's horrible. I've been giving her a mix of prunes, prune juice and pears twice a day but it's not working. We are also giving her small amounts of water. We went to the chemist and she suggested coloxyl but it's not working yet. But maybe it takes a while and it's only been 2 days. I'll give it a bit longer and might try Actilax. It's so awful seeing them so distressed 😣

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Furmumma For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also use suppositories when it gets really bad just to help her pass something. It's not pleasant but it works quickly!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Furmumma For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Try prunes. My youngest had the same problem (fully bf and blw) when she started solids.

I used to give her prunes every morning, and I also gave her high fibre options (pasta etc.) and lots of greens.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for your replies and suggestions. @gingermillie we seem to go through everything together with out little ones! I'm so sorry to hear you're having trouble too, it really is horrible seeing them so distressed and upset when they are straining. It's reassuring to know it happens to other breastfed babies too as I've often been told breast milk is a laxative so just keep feeding more. I definitely think dehydration is a problem for him as he never has very wet nappies and I've struggled to maintain his weight as he's just not a big milk drinker. I've tried dark room feeding, waiting until he's tired, not overtired, feeding more often, less often etc etc and still not really finding anything that works! He just takes a few mouthfuls then looks up and grins at me. After a few on and off attempts eventually he just gives up and tries to sit up as he's too distracted to drink. Luckily he does seem to like playing with a bottle and water so I'll keep trying to get him to drink water as well.
    I forgot about prunes, I used them a few times when ds1 was a bit constipated and they worked well. I'll try cutting out the wheetabix for a few days and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It seems the concoction of prunes, pears and coloxyl has worked as bubba has done three big normal poo's today! She's so much happier now 😊 @nh2489 I hope your ds gets some movement soon too!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Furmumma For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went through this with my DD. The only thing that worked for us was using probiotics. Once everything was regular, we moved to high bran weetbix mixed with puréed pears and milk. The things we found made it worse were banana, yoghurt and basically too much dairy. So we stuck to her milk bottles and no extra dairy. I still follow that now and she is 3.