+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First cycle when coming off the pill

How does your cycle generally go back to normal after finishing the pill?

do you get a withdrawal bleed a few days later as you would normally get, and a month later get the first real AF and ovulated in that time somewhere.

This is is assuming normal timing and the body doesn't play silly buggers.

or does the body have a withdrawal bleed and then I guess realise the pill is gone and ovulation happen quicker than you would expect?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depends person to person.

Mine was stopped pill, had normal withdrawal bleed then AF 39days later. As to if I actually ovulated or not I couldn't tell you the exact date as I wasn't tracking but based on the months following I always got super sensitive nipples the day of or after ovulation so my guess is yes I did ovulate.

After that my AF was kind of regular around 31-34 days long.

Others I know have had it more irregular unfortunately and some I have heard it has taken a few months for their first to return.

I was on the full pill so that stops ovulation each month, a gf of mine was on the mini pill where you still ovulate and her AF is normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I stopped I didn't get a withdrawal bleed but got my normal cycle a month later. From what I read it depends what your cycle was like prior to starting birth control too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was on the pill from age 16 years due to heavy periods. I came off it in January 2015 (so after more than 20+ years on it!) and I had a withdrawal bleed and then nothing for 8 weeks.

When my period did finally come back, the days of flooding and heavy clots were over. I hardly bleed at all now and just get a very light, brown discharge.

I am ovulating naturally now (quite impressive considering I am now 41 years of age!) but my FS said that all the years I was on the pill basically put my ovaries into hybernation. It took quite some time for things to settle down.

I think if you hadn't been on the pill for too long things might be different though. Also, excluding any other health issues, I would suspect the younger you are the quicker things might fall into place. That's just my opinion though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Withdrawal bleed is here and oddly it was heavier today (my normal heaviest day) than previous ones, I actually stained my jeans twice today! I couldn't believe it, so glad it wasn't visible.

can anyone answer a quick question has anyone experienced getting their first real AF in a lesser time than a normal cycle? Say 15 day cycle etc?

just wanting to check whether I should be "on guard", I'm thinking the chance would be very slim?