+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree on addressing it each time it happens. Interrupt him each time he does it with "let me finish please" or "hang on, *insert name here* is talking".

He should hopefully start being more thoughtful and think twice about butting in.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    This is me to a T.
    Of course it is 😜

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    I'm an interrupter. It's not deliberate or an attempt to hijack conversation or a sign of disrespect, I just do it. I don't know why. I am conscious of it and catch myself as much as possible but I respond well to what VP has advised, just being told to shut up (nicely). I try and make sure I apologise every time. It's just that my mouth is a bit ahead of my brain and I start talking without really thinking. I mostly do it to show that I can understand a point because I have a similar example or that I know what the person is talking about. It's not a nice trait but it's not from a place of malice or trying to be dominant. Not in my case anyway.
    omg I could've written this myself.

dh points it out when I do it to him and I'm pretty conscious of it now so make an effort not to do it where I can catch myself.

like you, it's a combination of gob being quicker than brain and getting over excited and wanting to jump in.

hey I like to see the silver lining...it shows we're actively engaged in the conversation and listening and processing and replying. better than talking to someone who's glazed over and who you need to prod for a response 😂

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (31-01-2016),Moxy  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think there's a difference between being an enthusiastic conversationalist and someone who talks over other people about topics not even being discussed (which is I gather the OP's issue).

I have had to learn over the years to just shut the ---- up otherwise it does annoy the hell out of people. I have a friend who does this and it makes me realise how annoying I must have been. Moving cities made to talk less too so I could actually get to know people.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    This is me to a T.
    Me too !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    I work with a lady who does this. Our boss could be explaining to her how to do something and she talks over her, trying to guess what my boss is going to say. She also interrupts you when you are talking to a patient..... I loathe it. Loathe!

In saying that, I'm sure I've been guilty of talking over someone in the past lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to do this - talking over people trying to guess what they were about to say to show that you 'get it'. I cringe now thinking about it.

The turning point for me was trying to teach the kids not to interrupt I suddenly realised, 'omg I do that! They'll be learning it from me!' And since then I've made a concerted effort to shut up and listen respectfully.

One of those, 'having kids has made me a better person' moments.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

BluePixie  (31-01-2016),gingermillie  (31-01-2016),TheGooch  (31-01-2016),VicPark  (31-01-2016),Wise Enough  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    I'm an interrupter. It's not deliberate or an attempt to hijack conversation or a sign of disrespect, I just do it. I don't know why. I am conscious of it and catch myself as much as possible but I respond well to what VP has advised, just being told to shut up (nicely). I try and make sure I apologise every time. It's just that my mouth is a bit ahead of my brain and I start talking without really thinking. I mostly do it to show that I can understand a point because I have a similar example or that I know what the person is talking about. It's not a nice trait but it's not from a place of malice or trying to be dominant. Not in my case anyway.
    OMG! Are we the same person???!!

I try so hard to stop. I know it drives people insane, but I just can't!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm guilty of this. I've become better over the years. One thing that made me realise how bad I was was a conversation with a work colleague. I kept interrupting her and every time I did she would stop talking immediately and listen. Something about the politeness and grace of that action put me to shame.

Ps. Am I the only one who opened this thread thinking it was going to be kids interrupting a steamy session between the sheets?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used to do this, it drove my exH insane when we were married. I think he managed to stop me doing it by telling me point blank to stop interrupting. I don't really do it anymore, thankfully.

However, my mum still does it. It's terrible!! It makes me cringe to think that I used to. She will just start talking about something else before someone has finished, to the point where I have started saying "I wasn't finished talking yet!" to shut her up so that I can finish. I hate that I have to say that, it brings the mood of the conversation down. If she could just keep her mouth shut and listen I wouldn't have to do that! Grrr!