+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Being interrupted..

One thing that annoys the living ****e outta me is constantly being interrupted, I guess it happens when we have kids...but my dp does this all the time, probably more than them!

How do I get him to stop?

He talks over me, won't let me get a word in edge ways, and I'm not the only one he does this too. Some of his friends have pulled him up on it.

And when he does butt in he doesn't even talk about what I ( or they) have been taking about!

I've tried being louder, not listening when he talks, interrupting him..

What else? It's doing my head in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would walk off mid way through conversation while he is waffling on about whatever it is... Surely he will soon realise & ask why you did/keep doing it then I would tell him how much it annoys you (and everyone else) & just how plain rude it is as well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shells85 For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you point blank just told him? Sounds like my brother lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My dad does the same. I have learned to be clear and blunt "excuse me, I was talking, can I finish what I was saying first?"

Nothing less works

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BluePixie  (31-01-2016),CakeyMumma  (30-01-2016),DarcyJ  (31-01-2016),MINIRoo  (01-02-2016),PinkPopsicle  (30-01-2016),Stretched  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    That would Sh!t me to tears!
    Have you tried speaking to him about it when you aren't in the midst of it? When you're both in a calm mood?
    Non accusatory and lots of "I statements"
    Something like "I feel really hurt, upset and overlooked etc...when you interrupt and talk over me...
    If he goes all blah, blah I don't do that, the next time he does it say "You're doing it right now" and just disengage.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How rude!
    I would call him on it every time or walk away.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Being interrupted..

My husband does it too, especially if we're with friends and I go to tell a story that he knows he will start talking over the top of me and telling the story.
    I alternate between stopping him and saying excuse me I was talking or just staring at him like WTF. I find the staring works better (provided he is looking at me) because it makes him stop and try to figure out what is wrong and then he realises what he has done

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm an interrupter. It's not deliberate or an attempt to hijack conversation or a sign of disrespect, I just do it. I don't know why. I am conscious of it and catch myself as much as possible but I respond well to what VP has advised, just being told to shut up (nicely). I try and make sure I apologise every time. It's just that my mouth is a bit ahead of my brain and I start talking without really thinking. I mostly do it to show that I can understand a point because I have a similar example or that I know what the person is talking about. It's not a nice trait but it's not from a place of malice or trying to be dominant. Not in my case anyway.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (31-01-2016),gingermillie  (31-01-2016),HollyGolightly81  (31-01-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (31-01-2016),MrsSS  (31-01-2016),Stretched  (31-01-2016),TheGooch  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    I'm an interrupter. It's not deliberate or an attempt to hijack conversation or a sign of disrespect, I just do it. I don't know why. I am conscious of it and catch myself as much as possible but I respond well to what VP has advised, just being told to shut up (nicely). I try and make sure I apologise every time. It's just that my mouth is a bit ahead of my brain and I start talking without really thinking. I mostly do it to show that I can understand a point because I have a similar example or that I know what the person is talking about. It's not a nice trait but it's not from a place of malice or trying to be dominant. Not in my case anyway.
    This is me to a T.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is of the few traits my husband has husband which I really, really can't stand.

I feel like when he does it, he's saying that what he has to say is so much more important that what I have to say that he doesn't even have to listen to me talking to know this.

A few years ago, I just said to him very clearly, that I found it really disrespectful and explained how hurt it made me feel. I don't know that he really "got it" initially, I think mostly he didn't realise he did it that much. But since then, every time he interrupts me, I just go completely silent after he has, and then he realises, apologises and we keep talking.

So yeah, he still does it, but definitely much less often.