+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Washing powder recommendation?

Hi all I think I need new washing powder. Have always used whatever is cheapest (I think brand is fab or something?). I have a front loader and wash in cold water. Just finding things aren't really clean especially when DD gets food all over her clothes 😁 but also DHs business shirts (he used to wear hi vis until recently and didn't matter if they had marks on them). I've been adding napisan capful to washes but not really helping. Wondering if I'm overloading my machine or its just crap but I'll start with new washing powder 😀
    What is the best washing powder/liquid that people have used?
    TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I use Omo. I never use a napisan soak and rarely spray things with stain remover but the Omo does a magnificent job of removing stains/food/mess in cold water.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I use Omo. I never use a napisan soak and rarely spray things with stain remover but the Omo does a magnificent job of removing stains/food/mess in cold water.
    Thanks I was thinking of trying Omo so good to hear a positive recommendation!

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I used to use surf because I liked the smell but now we use cold power. Especially when it's on special.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I use surf but I wash in hot water (30C-60C depending on the cycle I use). our stuff comes out clean and smelling nice. could you try using hot water?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Thanks I was thinking of trying Omo so good to hear a positive recommendation!
    If you like it, Big W have a 5kg box for about $40 I think. Works out a lot cheaper than paying $15-17 for the small box all the time!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (30-01-2016),turquoisecoast  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    whilst on the subject of washing, does anyone else not wash linens (mainly dish cloths) with underwear/general washing?

I like to do dish cloths by themselves in case underwear is dirty and gets into the dish cloth fabric.

probably a bit of a long bow to draw but I'm pretty anal 😂

12. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Washing powder recommendation?

We use fab with a napisan type booster (I prefer sard), wash in a front loader. My blacks are done with a standard wash , but colours and whites I use the pre wash function and have an extra scoop of sard only in the pre wash section. I don't use fabric softener on clothes.

I wash towels, linen, tea towels, mop & broom heads, cleaning cloths the same and if I have my mop & broom heads in the fabric softener is vinegar, if it's towels only its fabric softener.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Taffabella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I make my own with baking soda, washing soda, borax, pure soap and a little bit of either eucalyptus or tea tree oil. It's very cheap about $12 makes around 3kgs. But you only use 2 level teaspoons for a front loader - so it lasts for months. I have beautifully white towels and sheets and colours stay bright. Great for black and dark clothes as well.

If I have a particularly tough stain I make a paste with some of the powder and water and put it the damp cloth.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    whilst on the subject of washing, does anyone else not wash linens (mainly dish cloths) with underwear/general washing?

I like to do dish cloths by themselves in case underwear is dirty and gets into the dish cloth fabric.

probably a bit of a long bow to draw but I'm pretty anal 😂
    No not at all anal from my perspective.

I wash everything separately. I separate into black clothing, dark clothes, dark towels, white towels, white sheets and bed linen, white clothes, dish clothes and floor towels (old towels used for mopping up big spills or drying the car etc..), tea towels, pet bedding. Then I have a light mixed wash where clothing is predominately a light colour but with a pattern or stripe and a dark mixed wash, lingerie/underwear and DH's business shirts.

This is probably anal lol