Overhang/apron | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Overhang/apron

I had my Caesar two weeks ago and feel like my incision is healing really well. What I feel less great about is the "overhang"- it feels quite sore and jiggly.

As it's the middle of summer and because of cost, I don't really want to get the recovery shorts but wondered if others had any advice or could advise whether the overhang gets better over time or whether you have to do anything?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Sub. I have a little one after my vb and tried weight loss. I lose 22kgs but it's still there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Hopeful1975  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I had over hang with my first 3 Caesarians and with exercise it went away. My 4th caesarian seems to have left a lot more saggy skin which I've been working on getting rid of for a year now and am finally making headway.

A lot will come down to how strong your stomach muscles were before the pregnancy. I've always been told by physios that the best indicator of recovery is being fit to begin with.

If you were fairly fit before I'd give it time but once you get the all clear from your OB you should find whether exercise it goes away.

I also had 2 Summer babies and found recovery shorts impossible to wear.

Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Hopeful1975  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks both for the help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've got one, even at my lightest (and I was pretty light) it was still there. I've been told by a plastic surgeon that only surgery will get rid of it on my case. I would have the surgery but we can't afford it just now. Mine's just excess skin that won't shift.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It really depends on how much excess skin you have, and your genetics. I was lucky and it completely disappeared within months to flat. I didn't gain much weight with pregnancy though, and I do have very good skin. I also kept using stretch-Mark oil (ie rosehip oil is very good for healing) on my scar and abdomen daily for about 6-8 weeks after birth. I don't know whether this helped but it can't hurt to try. It does take time for the swelling to go down and don't despair if you still have a bit of overhang in a couple months, I can't remember exactly how long it took mine to flatten out but I know it was definitely good by 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    You can improve it a little bit, but no it doesn't get better IME After my 3rd c/s I've lost all the baby weight plus more and it's still there. When I fell with my first child I was fit and quite thin. I still got an apron

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope mines still there 5 years after my section. The stomach muscles have been cut so unless u are very lucky most women are left with some degree of overhang. It doesn't really bother me tho, without the option of a section dd and I likely would have died so the resulting overhang is definitely better than that!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful